Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Wipers 101

43K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  aerojock 
#1 ·
This thread is to help everyone understand wipers. Many people get wiper blades and wiper inserts confused, and calling them the correct name is the difference between $3 and $12...plus shipping

85220 is the BLADE
85190 is the ARM
85221 is the RUBBER INSERT

Here's a little comparison shot. The top BLADE is well known to most of you. It is the factory blade off of a MkII Supra. The lower blade is your Brand-X replacement blade you get at the local parts store

On the Toyota BLADE, the INSERT is removable. This is what it looks like on it's way out

Once it's out the INSERT looks like this

You'll notice it has no plastic rib to add strength to it, it's just a floppy piece of rubber (unlike many aftermarket inserts)

Here's a couple of shots of the blade without the insert in it.

The rib that holds the insert is captured in the blade, meaning it's not made to come out. Many after market wiper manufacturers have you take the rib out and replace with an insert that has a plastic rib attached to it. These plastic ribs don't fit the Toyota blades very well, and can cause chattering, overly loud roll over (flip/flop) or squeaking. If you've tossed the factory rib, you can not use factory inserts. The rib is only sold with the wiper blade assembly. Here's a pic of the insert being fed into the wiper blade

Hope that helps everyone understand not only what they have, but what they may need in the future! Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey Mark,

Is it possible to still get everything for the front wipers (Left and Right)(Blades, Inserts, and Arms) and the one rear one (Blades, Inserts, and Arms) for an 84 Supra?

Thanks in advance

Edit: A PM in fine instead of filling this thread.

#5 ·
Looking for a source for wiper inserts, replacements or whatever it takes for a 1983 Supra. Nothing local will work:duh:

#9 · (Edited)
The ANCO cut to fit do not work at all in our wiper arms. I will post up a photo..soon...dead battery in the camera:rolleyes:

How do I post a picture here?

#10 ·
Thanks for the help and I will be calling today...

#13 ·
The stuff came in great this week - unfortunately I cannot use the parts since I have a 1983 Supra:duh:. Guess I am junkyard bound to find some arms we can actually attach the front wipers too.

The rear was a bolt on (literally).

#11 ·
Does anybody knows where I can get an electrical diagram for windshield wiper motor??? I have problems with this, when I use the wipers, later unless the control is in off position, they working for a few minutes. the motor doesn't stop in the stop position neither.
Regards,
Carlos Mario

#12 ·
Carlos...it sounds like your wiper motor is starting to go bad. Make sure the ground wire has a clean ground. I don't have wiring diagrams scanned...really should have them in my computer I guess. Might try posting up in the mechanical section and see what someone might say there. Thanks!

#14 ·
This thread is to help everyone understand wipers. Many people get wiper blades and wiper inserts confused, and calling them the correct name is the difference between $3 and $12...plus shipping

85220 is the BLADE
85190 is the ARM
85221 is the RUBBER INSERT

Here's a little comparison shot. The top BLADE is well known to most of you. It is the factory blade off of a MkII Supra. The lower blade is your Brand-X replacement blade you get at the local parts store

Hope that helps everyone understand not only what they have, but what they may need in the future! Thanks!
I just went through this for a 1984...

On top is the passenger side INSERT (rubber only)
Passenger side BLADE (comes with rubber)
Driver side BLADE (comes with rubber)
Driver side INSERT (rubber only, flipped over showing installation instructions)
Driver side INSERT (rubber only)

I tried to get them all in one pic with the part numbers visible.

If you buy a new BLADE, it comes with the metal strip that accepts the rubber INSERT (and the rubber INSERT).

I had a non-Toyota wiper 'Refill' (trico?, anco?) and found it inferior to stock.
When you cut down the non-toyota 'Refill' (the plastic back bone and rubber), there is nothing to prevent the rubber from walking out.
The Toyota INSERT is made to 'lock in' to the metal back bone of a Toyota BLADE.

And a question for Mark - Are the 82/83 wiper BLADES (with included rubber INSERT) still available?

Ken

#16 ·
Price just went up on my 82/83 wiper arm stash :D

I'll admit, I kind of knew the answer as I got everything in the picture when I asked my local Toyota Parts guy to get me wipers for a 1982, 83, and 84 Supra (3 cars worth).

I'll do some comparing though and see if that metal back bone from the 84/86 BLADE can be fitted into the 82/83 BLADE and ARM.
Then to 82/83 owners you can sell the rubber INSERTS, just have to buy a 84/86 BLADE for the metal back bone.

Ken

#20 ·
I went to advance auto parts, and picked up some Trico refills pn#47-700, and so far, they work great. Only bad thing about them is they are molded a bit different, and they don't slide on easily, but if you have patience, they will slide through, and as tight as they go in, no way they will slip out when in use.

#23 ·
It seems like the last time I went to Toyota parts dept a year ago, the 85221 rubber was discontinued. Are these still available? What's the approx cost each or per pair if available?

#24 ·
Finally got around to changing the wiper blades on my supra today.

Some more helpful info that should be in here can be found here

In related news, I've modded the driver's side wiper arm to accept generic wiper blades (The whole blade, not just the insert) using just a dremel tool. I'll try and find a camera when there is light outside again to get some pics.

#25 ·
went to toyota dealership last friday and they told me they are discontinued..even the refills....i was so pissed!!!! hope Mark can chime in and see if they still available, this is BS.

#28 ·
One of mine I had to trim down, but it works fine, even though the molded stop isn't there. Somewhere there is a post with the closest part numbers for the inserts.

#26 ·
Hmm, I should buy some then. The Toyota dealer by me had a whole rack full of them. Not sure if it was the correct part number, but Im sure it wouldnt hurt to trim them.

#29 ·
anyway to mount a different arm to the driver side on a mk2? my arm is rusted and id rather replace it with one where i can change the whole blade, not just the insert.

#30 ·
Found a pair of Lexor profile "A" (p/n 4001) wiper inserts in the cargo area of my 86 and decided to try them on my wifes 83 since I've changed the 86 to Celica arms. The package states, Profile "A" fits Toyota vehicles. I didn't have to fight with them and they were installed in minutes.

Not sure how limited the supply is on these, but they can be found here.

#31 ·
GregO,

What version/year of Celica arms did you convert to? Also, does anyone know if the passenger side HAS to slam into the cowl in the down position? It doesn't make sense that even a 14" blade has the end running off the windshield and down to the stock resting place, which isn't on glass. Just eyeballing it tells me the arm should be angled a little, or maybe a 10" passenger side blade??? I've looked through the pics here, and can't tell if everyone else is having the same issue.

#32 ·
GregO,

What version/year of Celica arms did you convert to?
Had to be from an 83 or 85 Celica GTS because those were the only other cars I owned at that time other than my 86, and a MKIII turbo which was all original. Doesn't matter though because they are the same from 82-85 on GT & GTS models LH Arm/RH Arm.

#33 ·
The stock Supra passenger wiper doesn't sit on the glass in the park position. There is a little block on the cowl that the wiper arm end rides up on when it parks, as in going up a ramp. I don't know if a Celica arm would park in the same way.

#35 · (Edited)
Both my Celica arms come to rest against the blocks when they park. Actually the passenger side arm sits against the block, and a bit of the blade is past the cowl, but the blade doesn't make contact with the cowl, there's a bit of a gap between the two. The drivers side blade sits against the block, would be better if the arm did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.