R&R Speedo drive gear. 56k Warning! - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member robidunno's Avatar
    I have to ask this although I think I know the answer. If you take off the elbow to check the drive gear would I be correct in assuming that the fluid will come out? Also, do you know the part number of the clip? As I was at the dealer today the guy I talked to didn't know what I was talking about. Right now I'm getting tired of looking at a blank speedo and a check engine light.
    Rob C.
    85 P Type 5spd 2.8l 5M-GE - rebuilding after an encounter with some individuals that felt that their needs were greater than mine and helped themselves towhat I had...
    2001 VW Golf GLS Diesel - getting 46mpg at 22psi!
    2008 Camry CE 5spd. Yeah. They came in a manual transmission.

CelicaSupra.com Member DRIFTINGmy85's Avatar
    I don't know the part number unfortunately, but I referred to it as the speedometer drive gear clip and the few dealerships I talked to knew what it was instantly. The first time I went in I had them pull up a diagram of the transmission and was able to point it out to the guy. The diagram is pretty much identical to the tsrm:
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=MT&P=6
    The clip is not actually pointed out but it is right between the speedo drive gear and the snap ring.

Fluid should not come out when you take out the elbow.
    Fluid can and will probably pour out if the drive gear is removed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

the "s" clip on the output shaft that holds the drive gear is
    90467-25001 on the MT

for the slushbox, it seems to be holding from a ball and 2 C clips...
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

nice pictures man, liking the write up.
    85 p-type 7MGTE 365 WHP 375WTQ

CelicaSupra.com Member robidunno's Avatar
    This thread is just one of the reasons why I love CS.com. Thank You!
    Rob C.
    85 P Type 5spd 2.8l 5M-GE - rebuilding after an encounter with some individuals that felt that their needs were greater than mine and helped themselves towhat I had...
    2001 VW Golf GLS Diesel - getting 46mpg at 22psi!
    2008 Camry CE 5spd. Yeah. They came in a manual transmission.

CelicaSupra.com Member CarFreek's Avatar
    My 85 had bad speedo elbow when I had 5M-No CE light. I know my CE light worked. Does code 42 ONLY apply to Auto ECU's?
    86 SDR-"Shuttlecraft" 16" Drag dr-27 wheels, T3Coilover front, Camber Mod/Cut Springs rear, Poly Bushings all around, Whiteline sway bars, 13" bbk front, and 12" bbk rear, 1gz-fe V12 swap. 84 blue two tone 1uz swap. Whitelines and dobinsons and advanced iron oxide mass reduction.

CelicaSupra.com Member myothersupra's Avatar
    Code 42 should have nothing to do with tranny type. It's specifically for letting you know that the speed sensor signal is missing so the ECU doesn't know how fast your car is going and will therefore have no way of adjusting a/f, etc accordingly.
    I would expect a code 42 to be triggered any time your speedo isn't working and I'll bet that if you check your codes you'll find a 42 stored, although it's possible that some Supras don't consider it a critical enough code to light the C.E. Light as only certain codes do and some codes only make the light come on temporarily while others keep it on until the cause is corrected.

Fluid CAN leak out when the elbow is removed from the driven gear housing IF the o-ring in the driven gear's housing is going bad. It can even leak out with the elbow piece and speedo cable still connected to the housing if the o-ring has failed completely.
    My only experience with this is on a 7M but the 7M still uses the A340E/W58 trannys (plus the R154 that's also uses the same speedo cable parts) so it should be similar if not identical. When you undo the bolt and slide the driven gear's housing out of the tranny, the driven gear then slides out of its' housing, comes with a new o-ring iirc from Toyota, and can be replaced separately but for only a little more money you can buy the entire thing as one complete unit that's ready to install, pull out the old housing, slide the new one in being careful to get the driven gear's teeth lined up right with the drive gear, reinstall the retainer tab and bolt, and call the leak fixed...

Quote Originally Posted by CarFreek View Post
    My 85 had bad speedo elbow when I had 5M-No CE light. I know my CE light worked. Does code 42 ONLY apply to Auto ECU's?
    Maybe you never exceded 3000 rpms? lol...

Might be like MyOther said. Maybe the Speedo is defective I.E. still sending some sort of signal to the ecu.
    Supra Rehabilitator.
    Black 86 with 7M-GTE/W58/3.58/TrueTrac, 300whp, [email protected] Now on MS3X.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Tire Shredder Hidden Content
    "surprise! this one runs 11s biatch"

Thread Information