AFM Mod - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFM Mod

CelicaSupra.com Member supra_toy's Avatar
    I'd like to know too.

On a side note I'd like a cockpit idle adjustment too...

will
    "Betty" 85 Supra. LJM front strut bar, custom rear bar, Addcos sway f/r, Tokico f/r, Eibachs springs, and full PST bushing kit, Cusco camber plates, RC intake w/custom cold air & K&N filter, JK short shifter, MKIII 10 blade radiator fan, SS break lines, RC SS clutch line, Russel quick bleeders, custom stereo.
    "Karmen" 85 Supra. RC TB and intake. Bored out AFM, Magnaflow cat. soon new stock brake lines and muffler.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

The late Pat Braden has this mod in the Toyota Performance Handbook.

I'll try to post it or scan a copy to Stephen :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by supra_toy
    I'd like to know too.

On a side note I'd like a cockpit idle adjustment too...

will
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

I don't know where the site for the coolant temp mod is. But just find one of the wires going to the sensor up on the thermostat housing (the coolant temp sensor is the smaller of the two), and cut it. One end of the cut wire should hook to one terminal on a pot, the other to the wiper terminal of the pot. I'm not sure what sort of pot they use... I'd try a 2kohm first.

For cockpit idle control... to raise it, maybe run a vacuum line into the cockpit to a bleeder valve, then out to a small filter? You could control how big the vacuum leak is with the valve. It might just make your idle crappy, but maybe it'll actually just raise it. If it gets crappy maybe you could mess with the coolant temp pot to richen the mixture up, smooth things out, and probably raise the idle speed even more

Shiva

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraGuy31's Avatar
    So I see that you should go about 4 to 5 Teeth with Adjustment.

Ok. What Kind of Adjustment would you use if you are going turbo, with a W.255 Fuel Pump, and 295cc Injectors just to get things started or recommended settings.

thanks
    Robert

Supraguy31
    Currently in Iraq for 25 more Days

Has this mod withstood the test of time? Is it still a viable option?
    William Olson
    2000 Subaru Legacy GT (Granny)
    1982 Toyota Celica-Supra (The Racecar)
    2012 Honda Ruckus (The Cost Cutter)

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    I have two afm's, one with, one without mod...I like the added throttle response (5mge w intake/exhaust). Def peppier, but makes a difference at the pumps, runs slightly warmer too.
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Quote Originally Posted by '82supra View Post
    I have two afm's, one with, one without mod...I like the added throttle response (5mge w intake/exhaust). Def peppier, but makes a difference at the pumps, runs slightly warmer too.
    I'm not too worried about the fuel mileage as it's my autocross car, but the warmer temps does. It already runs too warm late in a race day.

Thanks for the quick response!
    William Olson
    2000 Subaru Legacy GT (Granny)
    1982 Toyota Celica-Supra (The Racecar)
    2012 Honda Ruckus (The Cost Cutter)

first of all it shouldn't be treated as a modification, simply an adjustment for your modifications and Atmospheric environments. You wouldn't consider advancing your timing a "mod" or retarding your timing a mod either. to suggest that you could add higher exhaust and intake flow and not adjust it is crazy.of course you will have to adjust ignition timing properly as well. It's all a set up issue, not a video game where you just go to Stage 2 or 3. lol
    keep in mind the AFM is only effective under 4000 RPM anyway. Anything after that it's all precalculated by the computer

Thread Information