Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Saggy storage nets

11K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  1982 Dragon 
#1 ·
Here is the trick of the trades for fixing your SAGGY storage/cargo nets", that are behind your P-Type front seats.

I've shown the drivers side because it's a little more difficult to remove. Remove the side adjustment knob as shown in the picture

carefully unsnap the lumbar adjustment button pad from the seat back, then pull the backing away from the rear of the seat

1. Look on the backside of the seatcover/shell, you'll see that the giant plastic trim is held in by several round clips. Pry the clip off carefully on one of the "ends" that you have chosen. I used needle nosed pliers and worked them off with a little twirling.

2. Your net should be tied into a giant knot to keep tension on the elastic that is on the top part of the net, undo the knot.

3 Look at the giant plastic trim that surrounds the net on the 3 sides. Choose one of the "ends" (either the left or right side). I used the inside closest to the center console so If there was a problem it would'nt be as obvious.

4. You'll notice that the elastic net "ends" are held in place inside the trim piece by a knot. Grab the end of the elastic piece so that it is somewhat stretched (don't make it too tight, you want to be able to put things inside it). Make a new knot, cut off the excess elastic. Insert new knot inside the trim piece. Notice how far the string has stretched in the picture

5. Reassemble. Admire your storage nets that now actually looks decent & no longer has a giant knot in it (and no longer sags)

See less See more
#2 ·
Or if your elastic is completely shot like mine were. Use some tarp tie downs. The elastic loops with the plastic ball on one end. You can buy a whole bag of em at Wal-Mart for a few dollars. Shove the elastic out of the plastic ball end, untie it and you have a nice new strong elastic cord to replace yours saggy ones with.

#3 ·
Woohoo!!

Thanks for adding in the "visual aide's"!!! :hail: :rockon:

This needs to be made into a Sticky. :D

#6 ·
Those things are ELASTIC?!?

Ya coulda fooled me! I thought they were just string - mine have no flex left in them whatsoever...

I guess I'll give this a shot one of these days, thanks for posting the instructions and pics!

#11 ·
my interior is black, so I was able to find some new elastic string a fabic store. I also saw it on line, but you have to buy way more than you need and of course pay shipping. I couldnt get those "clip washers" that hold things together off without wrecking the plastic studs, so I cut them off with a dremel cut off wheel. I used those pressed sheet metal "pal nuts" from Lowe's to reassemble, and put a dab of "Stick n Seal" on them to help make sure that they wouldn't fall off. If you use your imagination there are several ways that you could think of to reassemble things. If you use some sort of nut, it will be easier to do the job again in the future if necessary. I'll post photos as soon as I figure out how to do it!

#13 ·
I used those pressed sheet metal "pal nuts" from Lowe's to reassemble, and put a dab of "Stick n Seal" on them to help make sure that they wouldn't fall off. If you use your imagination there are several ways that you could think of to reassemble things. If you use some sort of nut, it will be easier to do the job again in the future if necessary.
When I did the repair a couple years ago, I just used some interior screws after cutting down the plastic towers, the screw is the right size with a few washers, and they are easy to take on and off.

#12 ·
Quickie fix

In my case brown elastic from a fabric store was only $1.00/meter (enuf to do both seats). I drilled through the top and threaded the elastic thru using a paperclip. Tying knots at each end was easier & faster than removing the hard clips on the inside, easily replaced in future. IMO looks fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.