Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Top [naturally aspirated] dyno & drag #s

53K views 165 replies 45 participants last post by  racerxj220 
#1 · (Edited)
OK guys, I am now in charge of keeping track of and updating the statistics for the naturally aspirated crowd. This is a work in progress!

UPDATED 11/5/2016

Please follow this simple format to submit your info to be added:
Your name
Your cars year
Engine
Transmission
Dynograph and/or Timeslip (1/4 mile only please)

5MGE

DYNO
NAME---TRANNY---CAR YEAR---DYNO #S---DYNO TYPE---DYNO GRAPH
JT -- MT -- 1984 --215/225
Carlos Brown -- MT -- 1985 -- 193/169
Havard Bergas -- MT -- 1984 -- 168/175
tdream -- MT --1985 -- 155/162
RaptorRacing -- MT -- 1984 -- 155/155
Revvhappy -- MT --1985 -- 151/159
SupraFiend -- MT -- 1985 -- 151/151
Wesley Hetrick -- MT -- 1985 -- 147/152
Tanya Rose -- MT -- 1985 -- 144/142
kmfdmk -- MT -- 1985 -- 143/136
drjim -- MT -- 1985 --141/161 (mustang dyno)
supra toy -- MT -- 1985 -- 135/143
Supra_Devil -- MT -- 1982 -- 130/143
CanadianPsyco -- MT -- 1982 -- 116/116

DRAGS
NAME---TRANNY---CAR YEAR---TIME---SLIP---
Austin E -- MT -- 1985 -- 14.30 @ 97mph
Damon Saul -- MT -- 1982 -- 14.6 @ 94.0mph
LnumbP -- MT -- 1985 14.78 @ 93.53mph *Damon driving
Dean Anderson -- MT -- 1982 -- 15.048 @ 92.4 mph
Frank Chung -- MT -- 1985 -- 15.535 @ 88.7 mph
Wesley Hetrick -- MT -- 1985 -- 15.539 @ 88.9 mph
RaptorRacing -- MT -- 1984 -- 15.865 @ 86.56 mph
Dean Anderson -- MT -- 1983 -- 16.100 @ 84.3 mph -
Supra_Toy --MT -- 1985 -- 16.388 @ 82.5 mph --
Eric BergM --MT -- 1986 --16.389 @ 84.2 mph --
ddd228 -- AT -- 1984 -- 17.34 @ 83.07

6MGE

DYNO
Sean Chung -- MT --1985 -- 189/200
SupraFiend -- MT -- 1986 184/188
Aaron Ingles -- MT -- 1985 -- 171/162
Tanya Rose -- MT-- 1985 -- 168/180
Damon Saul -- MT -- 1985 -- 167/174
MKIISupraman -- MT-- 1982 -- 158/168
Donnie Spears -- MT-- 1985 -- 155/166

DRAGS
Damon Saul -- MT -- 1985 -- 14.0 @ 97mph
Eurosupra1 -- MT -- 1984 -- 14.783 @ 93.6 mph
Graham Haring -- MT -- 1985 --15.417 @ 89.9 mph
Tanya Rose* -- MT -- 1985 -- 15.54 @ 87.9mph *Aaron Garney driving
Zankone -- MT -- 1984 -- 16.032 @ 85.6 mph
HCogeHC -- MT -- 1985 -- 16.668 @83.4 mph

7MGE
DYNO
Tire Shredder -- MT -- 1984 -- 189/199

DRAGS
Johnathan Stone -- MT -- 1984 -- 14.787 @ 93.29mph
Cartman -- MT -- 1984 -- 14.804 @ 92.5 mph
Tire Shredder -- MT -- 1984 -- 14.85 @ 93.75 mph

2JZGE

1UZFE
NAME---TRANNY---CAR YEAR---DYNO #S---DYNO TYPE--DYNO GRAPH

See less See more
#3 ·
I think it really great that you took charge of this Tanya.
I'm not sure how I should go about all this - I've had atleast 3 or 4 MKII's in the 14's and a few going low 15's, as well as my black PP MKI. I have about 700-800+ timeslips total - unfortunately, they are not organized that well, but LMK - I'm sure I can find them... I'll just post up the best of my 5M and 6M results...

damon-turboMKI
'82 L
5M-GE
5spd
14.6 @ 94.0mph

'85 P
6M-GE
5spd
14.0 @ 97

'85 P
6M-GE
5spd
167rwhp/ 174tq

'81 PP MKI
5-ME
5spd
15.3 @ 92.0
121rwhp/ 147tq

#4 ·
...can I make a suggestion?

For their times/dyno's to be counted, they must be uploaded to your celicasupra.com photo gallery, so as to assure they don't "disappear". ...that was the main downfall of the last one, is wes simply hotlinked their photos, and going down through there trying to see dyno graphs of different setups, half of them were no longer hosted in the same spot.

--billyM

#5 ·
Thanks Damon! I'll update you as soon as I can, been pretty busy lately, which is why the links to slips/sheets aren't up yet.

Billy, while that is a good idea, it might be difficult to get everyone to cooperate on that. I'm going to have to find another way to keep these links together...

#11 ·
Billy, while that is a good idea, it might be difficult to get everyone to cooperate on that. I'm going to have to find another way to keep these links together...
Put them in your own hosting account, or cs gallery would be the way to go.

#10 ·
Sure thing. The '82 was my original supra that I got back in '93; a silver "L" 5spd hardtop. It had a low mileage JDM 5M (but still had the original '82 intake on it and such), and was mostly full weight - had the A/C, cruise and the spare removed - but other than that, it was complete - it weighed 2720lbs. Major mods were tri-mill header directly to a custom 2.25" exhaust, MSDS intake (cone), lightened stock flywheel, 4.30 lsd, NGK wires, bumped up timing, adjusted AFM and thats about it... I started off w/ that going 15.4's and eventually got it down to consistant 14.6-14.7s all day long.

The '85 was a 2 tone "P" 5spd sunroof car. I had that car going low 15's near stock (15.3 IIRC) - car ran really strong. Just added a trimill, K&N, MSD wires, and the lightened flywheel and it then went 14.8 - but it still had the full stock catback and converter on it yet. I then stuck the motor from the '82 in it, then added guide cams and it went 14.7s (those cams suck). After that, I started stripping the car down - had alot of the interior out and such - eventually having the car stripped down to just what was essentual (upper dash pad, steering wheel, both front seats, front wipers, lights and the motor). By the end, it weighed 2570lbs. Somewhere in there I put a tired 6M in there w/ the basic mods I had (the header and exhaust, etc...). It went 14.4 first time out, and then I slowly got it down to a best of 14.002 @ 97.XX mph (havent seen that slip in a while though - thats why I just posted up the other ones).

I've said before - I have tons of track time - I used to go 2-8X a month, and we probalby have 4 of the best tracks around w/ in 45 min-1.5 hrs - one being just 16ft above sea level. I could pull 1.8 60' times on street tires or about the same on DOT slicks (majority of my runs were all on 185-60-14 potenzas on my rikken rims).

Damon is who gave me the faith that it was plausible to get a NA mk2 into the high 13s, a long time ago. Just need a damn good driver, 180whp, and some extra baggage removed LOL. His 6MGE car dyno'd similar to mine and ran 14 flat, so that is pretty hopeful.
Thanx Tanya! You built yourself a pretty sweet MKII - from what I've seen of it, there isnt any reason that it shouldnt be in the same ball park - my 6M was tired (you can see it drops off quickly after 5.5K).

#9 ·
Damon is who gave me the faith that it was plausible to get a NA mk2 into the high 13s, a long time ago. Just need a damn good driver, 180whp, and some extra baggage removed LOL. His 6MGE car dyno'd similar to mine and ran 14 flat, so that is pretty hopeful.

#12 ·
I'm trying to make this slightly easier on myself, but I guess no one gets that, LOL

Using cs.com gallery isn't the easiest route... I would like to upload a lot of files at one time and not take hours to do this.

The thread now is going off track, Thanks guys but I will figure this out.

#14 ·
I approved this with Mike already. Now I know why people wanted the other thread to get locked, due to off-topicness.........:rolleyes:

I'd really want to keep this thread for people who want talk about the dynos and drag #s, and setups and such. Nothing else PLEASE.

#15 ·
My old P-type (before turbo) ran 14.9 @ 91ish and the black P-type ran 15.3 at 90ish, but I don't want that documented till I find slips.

As for hosting the images, I can host them on my Pbase if you need somewhere for everyone to keep their's. They could email the images, I'll upload them, and you could position the links, or one link (for the slips gallery), for the scans.

#16 ·
pretty cool to see all this stuff documented in one thread. the only thing that i think would be cool to go along with this would be a list of mods done to the motor so those reading can see what others have done to achieve these impressive numbers. also, what rear is in the cars to go along with the tranny. that can make a difference in numbers.

#17 ·
Your name: ANR
Your cars year: 1984
Engine: 5M-G
Transmission: W40
Power: 186 hp 190 ft/lb tq.

(dyno was also running ~10% off calibriation, proven. So add ~10% for actual numbers..) I'm not supposed to share this info, But I'll see if he'll let me get the graphs and post his name. Lot's off stuff that could be learned through this guy.

#19 ·
Hello Tanya,

Thanks for doing all this work. I had originally sent this to Wes via e-mail but realize now that I should have posted here instead. Sorry about that Wes.

My name: Damian
Car: '82 MKII, L-type
Engine: 5MGE, completely stock (& original) internally
Tranny: stock 5-speed

Mods: cold-air intake with K&N type filter, stock exhaust manifold with a 2.5" exhaust system (home built) with 2.5" cat. No spare tire or AC.

The other lane was Dean Anderson - with one of his slower runs of the day. He and his racecar kick butt!
This slip is from the August 17th, 2007 Toronto Supra Club meet - drag gathering at Cayuga (Toronto Motorsports Park).

#21 ·
Rusty Tracey- 5M-GE - MT - 1985 - 143/136 - Dynojet (I think) @ Unnatural Inc. I've misplaced the slips and am not too inclined to find them as I've swapped to a 7M-GTE.

That was with a cheap cone filter, good plugs & wires, 10w-30 oil, no cat and a fart cannon exhaust (Apexi N1 style).

#22 ·
Just uploaded them on PB. stock configuration.

#24 · (Edited)
85 supra p-type, MT, 5mge, K&N filter, RC intake pipe, sucking air from the fender, and some unrelated suspention mods.

The 1/4 mi time slip is from Oct 2003 (the best of about 8 runs and my first and only time at the drags)
16.388 s @ 82.54 Mph for referance Car and driver lists the stock 1985 supra 1/4 mi time as 16.8 s

The dyno is from 2004 (baxter historical races July 2004) dyno pull in 4th gear to red line and then some (took forever to get there) peek power @ 5250 rpm or so.
135.45 hp & 143.91 tq

If there is anything further needed let me know. I think that I'm one of the few that has the 1/4 mi time and dyno on the same car with the same configuration

will

#26 · (Edited)
Ladies & Gents,

I thought I would go ahead and get a 5MGE dyno graph posted up here. I did not have a lot of time to play around with the tuning, so I am not posting up a 180-plus HP graph, but it is close...

Name: Carlos Brown
Year: 1986
Motor: 5MGE
Trans: 5-speed W-58

Given a few changes to the 5MGE motor, I believe it is capable of putting out somewhere around 190HP, or greater. The thing that I have found with the motor while tinkering with it, is that it wants to breath, and breath some more... This is easy when switching to ITB's and stand-alones, but when running the OEM ECU and AFM, it is a little more challenging. You will also notice when looking at the dyno graph that the stock fuel MAP is way rich in the lower RPM's. I adjusted the AFR at the upper RPM's using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. At cruise speeds the car will run at stoich, so the richness is not so much a problem..

If there were a larger AFM available which could be swapped out, along with a larger throttle body, this motor would be a lot happier. I do not know the "true" specs of the RX-7 and 750 BMW AFM's, but these would be the only two options I think that might be available...

I will be staying with the single TB on my Spring rebuild, but I will be adding a few internal engine parts, stand-alone, and 7M crank. I had considered adding a 1UZ this winter, but at the current HP rating, the car is getting funner to drive... For now, here is 178.26HP and 161.12TQ for you!

Best Regards,

Carlos

#69 · (Edited)
Seamus,

I did post up, back in January. Here is my post and graph. I am getting close to another dyno session as we speak. The Supra is currently running with the SDS stand-alone without the AFM. I am in the process of tuning the AFR's and a few other parameters. I plan on hitting up the dyno next week and then returning home to begin disassembly on the car.

The 2JZ project begins after that... Look for new dyno graphs by the end of next week...

P.S. I am interested in seeing the differences in dyno graphs once the low RPM fuel is leaned out...

Regards,

Carlos

#27 ·
Those are extremely impressive numbers! Significantly higher than most other 5mge motors.
I guess the question everyone might want to know is how? Was this with a bored out TB? Or adjusted cam timing? Head work?

Whatever the tuning, it seems to work well! You couldn't adjust the richness out on the lower rpm range? That would have probably flattened your torque curve nicely.

Good job!

Don L.

#28 ·
DonL,

I did perform some port work on the head and the Intake runners/plenum are all gasket matched. I also polished the combustion chambers. The valves are still original, no OS.

The car is running adjustable cam gears, which makes tuning so easy.

I am also running the Rabid Chimp Intake with a modified 70mm TB and Intake. I am still currently running the AFM and stock ECU, however.

The fuel MAP can only be adjusted be increasing or decreasing the regulator PSI. So, the whole thing moves up or down. With tuning potential the low end power would have been much better.

Regards,

Carlos

#31 ·
Nice find on the archives. Everything sounds reasonable until I got to the electric waterpump part. 25hp gained? I honestly don't know much about those things, but that figure seems pretty optimistic. That means all those other mods brought the car "only" to 175hp at the wheels? Still, a nice build, and always good to hear positive stories of 5mge build ups. A few of you guys should see easily over 200rwhp this year with your n/a builds.

Don L.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.