Can bad distributor timing do engine damage? (exhaust valve in particular)

Can bad distributor timing do engine damage? (exhaust valve in particular)

noob here. My supra was misfiring slightly so I figured I would first take a look at the injectors since spark plugs, cap, rotor, and wires were relatively new. It was my first time taking off all these things in order to get to the injectors. When I took the distributor out I started spinning the gear at the end of it for fun (didn't know it messes up timing). When i assembled everything back together the car would not start for the first 4 times I held the key in the run position. It took some time to start but now it starts up every time in one turn. As far as I know, it shouldnt start if the timing is all messed up. Why did it suddenly start starting? It does sound really weird though when I am starting it but when its running it sounds like a normal running engine with one cylinder out. The timing or something is obviously off. Also, huge loss of power and cylinder 4 is completely dead. It gets a consistent and strong spark. Will be doing a compression test on monday. Did the one dollar test with the muffler and it seems to be sucking in the dollar. Did i mess up my exhaust valves by messing up the distributors timing and driving it for a mile at around 4k rpm? Engine is a 6m.

Cylinder 4 is getting gas though as it backfires all the un burnt fuel a lot and I pulled the plug it was really greasy looking (same with the piston in the photo below)

Cylinder 4 and plug for 4. by Shyzah, on Flickr

Cylinder 4 and plug for 4. by Shyzah, on Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Spark plug ain't gonna fire if it looks like that. It looks like you're burning a lot of oil. Put a new plug in it and use a timing light to check the timing.

Thread Information