How to clean out your EGR system. (56k beware) - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member CarFreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GangstaRatPanda View Post
    why not just get rid of the whole egr system. wouldnt it be better for the motor in the long run.
    A lot of States, cities, and towns require the system be in place, to register car.
    86 SDR-"Shuttlecraft" 16" Drag dr-27 wheels, T3Coilover front, Camber Mod/Cut Springs rear, Poly Bushings all around, Whiteline sway bars, 13" bbk front, and 12" bbk rear, 1gz-fe V12 swap. 84 blue two tone 1uz swap. Whitelines and dobinsons and advanced iron oxide mass reduction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

this might be... well it is a newb question... but should i for sure do this on my 82 with 220000 miles? or would it be easier to just take off the TB and get it professionally cleaned? and how do you bypass the egr system??? ive seen a few posts but i always run into sarcasm somewhere and i dont want to mess up my car because people are being smart lol

Thank You for this In Depth post REALLY INcredibly helpful !

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I have never cleaned the EGR on this car but did on my Previa. Cleaning did not seem to affect how the engine runs. Would leaving the EGR clogged have the effect of no EGR at all?

So glad you posted this clean-up thread! I busted my 84' intake plenum by installing the wrong bolt from the throttle body to intake manifold plenum. I bought another from the junk yard, but the newish 85 EGR orientation was facing the wrong direction. Lol womp. Thanks for clearing up my debacle.

Were lucky in Canada that we don' thave to test emissions for the most part. I just rebuilt my '84, and totally plugged and disabled the EGR system. There is no sense in putting exhaust air back into the intake. It makes everything dirty, and oily when your rings are worn. Much better power and throttle response too. Very good article though.

CelicaSupra.com Member DRIFTINGmy85's Avatar
    Thanks!!

"Supposedly" NOx is what makes smog and why egr was invented to prevent/reduce NOx and I used to be all hardcore get your car smogged legally (I live in the most harcore smog state IN THE WORLD), but recently I've noticed that jet airplanes pollute like MOFOs! Even to the point that the exhaust from jets appear to look like clouds, slowly fanning out and slowly falling to the earth leaving a nasty haze over everything...

Now I'm all like o.O car egr vs jet pollution..... JETS ARE WAAAAYYYYY WORSE IN EVERYWAY!!!! So I wonder if my previous opinion of egr/NOx was all in vain.

Thanks for the comment! =)

Superb work!
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

I also feel lucky for living where I do. All that work just to clean out and emissions system that really does nothing. I won't even mention how much better the car sounds without that damn thing opening up. Not to mention it's so much cleaner looking minus all the plumbing and accessories required.
    Canada Wooo Hoooo!!
    Last edited by Mootz; 03-21-2016 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Oops

Oh, rats....the photos are gone.

I just failed smog on NOX, and was going to use this to help me clean things out.

I should probably get a new catalytic converter as the one on the car is 30 years/165,000 miles old, and do the "Seafoam Thing" before I swap out the converter.....

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thread Information