Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Non 'bling' newer Toyota CD/Cassette install

117K views 227 replies 68 participants last post by  rhartmaier 
#1 · (Edited)
Very quickly realized I'm not going to find a mint original stereo, that still functions normally. Even if it's been on a shelf for 20 years and looks perfect, odds are it's just not going to work right, AND . . .. without a CD player, the want for original is quickly diminished.

Well, I know there isn't a HUGE call for this, and many are well beyond this and into other things, but if there's a few people out there who feel the same way I do about wanting an OEM look, and longing to upgrade to CD WITHOUT going for the silvery, lit-up-like-the-vegas-strip kinda head unit, it's a tight fit but inexpensive and worth the effort.

The pics below show a single piece, double DIN Toyota CD/Cassette unit from a 01 Camry, but they came in many different models. They also come in both internal, and external amp versions. The right buy at the right time, this one cost me $21 on eBay, WITH amp.

The newer units (87-ish and up) use a 2 plug, 10 pin 6 pin setup, (both internal and externally amplified) instead of our 9 pin 5 pin setup. This is easily converted using 2 small harnesses, (Google for info) Scosche TA02RB ('reverse' harness for 87-up) and TAO1B (for 82-86), color coded, joined together to create the 'adapter' that now makes it a clean plug-n-play. Both can be had for under $10 each, but I think the 82-86 is getting harder to find. I used heat-shrink tubing and solder for a clean install.

TIP 1: You may be better off going for the internally amplified unit, (if the depth is the same, usually 6 1/2" on these units, CONFIRM DEPTH B4 PURCHASE, 6 1/2" MAX, less is better) as I discovered that finding space for the amp, even as small as it is, is difficult if allowing for the need for heat dissapation. Internally amplified units have the 10-6 plugs directly on the back of the stereo, externally amplified units have a single multi pin plug for the amp, and the 10-6 plugs are on the amp. (and the newer units have an additional plug for AUX units like CD changers, MP3 players etc.)

TIP 2: You can only use standard double DIN units, there are many styles. In recent years manufacturers have moved away from standard double DIN units and are designing the faces oversized, and to fit the particular car. Look closely, the face should not be any bigger than the 'box' itself.

There are 6 disc versions of the same, AND the older style 2 piece stereos.(UPDATE 4-9-09: I have verified with 2 different sources that the 6-disc of this newer style is 1/2" deeper. This makes it too deep for this type of install. It would stick right out through the surround.) I was originally going for the older 2 pc, with 6-disc, as the depth front to back was a little less, and cured the only issue in this install. The new unit needs to actually come through the opening of the surround a tiny bit, rather than the surround resting against the face of the stereo, like the original. The surround has tiny 'lips', or edges running vertically on the sides of the opening, and these need to be carefully shaved off flat for the new unit to come through. You don't even see a difference. As with everything, it's subjective, and a matter of personal tastes. Have a '.pdf' file of the two different wiring setups/colors. Gladly field any P.M's with questions/facts.

In keeping it short, if like me, you desire non butchered wiring and a stock look, it's just going to take some patient eBaying, a Saturday morning, some easy wiring and a phillips screwdriver.

3-30-09 ADDITIONAL INFO: Concerning the Supras stock 'Subwoofer' and it's wiring, obviously it was a unique item to the era, the original stereos had wiring outputs for the sub, it is the BLUE plug of the 3 plug harness. Any newer OEM system is not going to be set up with an output for the sub, so because of it's location under the glovebox, I used a spare blue plug/wires and tapped into the RIGHT-FRONT speaker output on the new harness setup. You should use a proper inline 'filter' to limit the frequency going to the sub, so that it is just low-end signal.

5-16-09 IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFO: See page 7 of this thread for instructions on adding the ability for your new stereo's lights to be dimmable like the rest of your dash lights.

Finished harness: (but still w/o dimmer mod wire seen on pg. 7)

:salute::salute::salute::salute:

See less See more
#76 · (Edited)
Thanks Bro

:thumbsup::salute:Thanks for the feedback bro. Could you PM me with the model you used, did you also do the antenna, and any other comments/input please?

*Sidenote: Will have a few different setups for sale, in the next couple days, both 1 and 2 piece, INT and EXT amp, fully tested and ready to rock. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can post them up in the F/S cat here 1st, if not they go up on eBay ASAP. Gotta recoup my 'research investment' :cool:;).

!!!!! Also, keep in mind, that the unused 12-pin plug on the rear of most of these units was for more than steering wheel controls etc. It is also used to add any external unit of your choice such as an additional slave CD player, a multi-disc CD changer etc. This is where you could plug your iPod adapter into. I've seen them both for the 12-pin plug and as a 3mm jack you have to hard-wire in.
To give you an idea, I bought one of the 1-pc dbl DIN units as seen in the opening post, but a 6 disc version (that is too deep for our Supras, but you can do the same thing with the single disc units) and installed in my 4 Runner, then using the 12-pin plug, added an additional Toyota 8-disc CD changer under the passenger seat. Friggin SWEET!!!!!
So keep that possibility in mind when considering one of these type OEM units, INT or EXT amp.

#78 · (Edited)
Brad,

Do you know if the harnesses would work on the single din cd player from an 98 camry?

Jim
Hey Jim, I'll P.M. ya the info about that and your other harness questions.

Hey all, this 'hobby' has grabbed me by the jewels and won't let go. . . . :thumbsup::thumbsup::laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, this is the finished harness all done up, with the stray (green) wire on this one being for the user to do the dimmer mod. I've been getting a bunch of requests for me to do them, and either have them as a 'kit' with the stereo, or just for the harness. Anyone interested in having one either way, feel free to shoot me a P.M. I'm doing the harnesses for $30-ish.

Also, I've gained a bunch of perspective/knowledge/parts with these OEM stereos, if anyone needs a clicking cassette fixed, or maybe the buttons on yours suck etc, feel free to inquire. Don't know why, but I'm kinda gettin into this. Maybe I should just get another dog . . . .:laugh:

#79 ·
Okay, quick question for you. I have a radio out of a 92 camry.

I obviously need a power button. I have the harness and the amp...

When I plug it into the Mk3 supra for a test I get nothing. The radio powers up, plays cassettes, but no sound. I know that I do not have the harness in the Mk3 screwed up, because any other OEM stereo works. I have a 6 disk changer and head unit out of a 93 celica tha works great. This one doesn't work though. I do get a very loud low hum through the speakers. Does the amp need to be screwed into the body to ground it? Right now it is just sitting on the carpet on the floorboard. I am thinking the low hum I am hearing is due to the amp not being grounded well enough. I would like to use this stereo in my 83 if I can figure it out.

Thanks

Oh yeah, got any spare of the large power buttons?

#80 ·
Well, a few thoughts come to mind. First, why are you using the Camry harness when the MKIII should already have the 10-6 plugs in it even if it didn't come originally with an EXT/AMP stereo? Was the harness hacked up with no original plugs?

Second, if you get OTHER stereos to work fine, but this one won't output anything, I'd be inclined to say it or the amp is toast, because you haven't indicated that it worked previously. I'm assuming the other stereos you said you tried did NOT come off the amp, if they DID and worked fine, that rules out the amp being bad. I test all my units with the stereo grounded to chasis, the amp is free-floating on the seat. If you don't have the stereo grounded it won't work right.

That's about all the conjecture I can muster up based on your post, and yes I do think I have a knob that may work. PM me, I've got a couple questions to make sure.

#81 ·
#82 ·
Thanks for the H/U. I see diagrams like that and just think: 'Look at all the funny lines and squiglies' :laugh:
Yeah, the easiest way to wrap your head around it is to think of the 'variable resistance/ground' in a 'lift' sense, or as a 'volume knob' effect.

'CSaholic', is that covered under health insurance?

#83 ·
unfortunatly no, and it does not seems to be 'cureable' (if that exist in english)

I wish OEM radios were sold under 100$ in our pick & pull...

#84 ·
Geez, all ya gotta to do is tell me what ya need or give me an idea of what you'd like. I can hook you up WAY better than that for that kinda money. I've also got a possible lead on a cheap way to get it to Montreal. LMK whatcha need if ya like.

#86 ·
Brad,

I got my single din cd player with the amp built in. I am going to put in a cup holder in the other spcae but I have to ask a question.

Just for fun I put the cd palyer in the bracket with the original equalizer and it looks like they belong together. The question is could you wire in a cd player without the built in amp and make it work with the equalizer?

I will post pictures of what it looked like later.
Jim

OK It's later. I know, I know ... they need cleaning

Original set up

New set up

#91 ·
Jim, I'll gladly take any questions like that , or help you with your search, in a P.M. Just trying to keep the 'chatter' to a minumum so anyone using the thread for info doesn't have to go through too much. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As far as that unit, I've seen that one for a bit. It does have a defective button, and it also requires an EXT/AMP, which would have the neccessary plug coming from it. You should let go of the idea of pairing the old EQ's with one of these newer stereos. Too much going against you.

#92 ·
Dave in Seattle has a Camry radio in his '84

With the "Bradster" custom wire/plug set up it went very well and now ALL of my speakers have sound coming out! Plenty LOUD and clean,too! I'm very happy:laugh: Dave.

#93 · (Edited)
You're welcome!

With the "Bradster" custom wire/plug set up it went very well and now ALL of my speakers have sound coming out! Plenty LOUD and clean,too! I'm very happy:laugh: Dave.
Hey brotha, you're welcome, glad you like the stereo, and the results. Nice job on the installation! Thanks for the follow-up, and pics. . . . (are ALL you guys named 'Dave'?) ;)

STAY TUNED FOR AN UPDATE WITH NEW SETUP OPTIONS . . . . . .MMMMMM. . . . TASTEY

#96 · (Edited)
I'm Dave in Seattle

The "radio" looks like it has ALWAYS belonged there.Easy install with the custom wiring that 'Brad in Maine 'did. Truck driver for a job ,but radio GURU for fun,I guess.That research took a LOT of time and digging for radios that will work,here.There is no way I would not recommend this guys' expertise is this area. Trust him to steer you toward the stereo "system" that you will love.Mine kick ass. Brad made mine Ready to Run.I bolted it in and ALL the sound I was missing(for the last 3 years)came alive:LOUDLY!!!!!YEE HAW! The old one was 25 year old technology.The last 4 radios(stock)that tried were failures.My Camry radio has a CD and cassette player and AM/FM and it ROCKS! Dave. Yeah,the blinkin' eye ball is freaky...

#97 ·
Can someone explain exactly how to insert a bazooka powered subwoofer into this install? (parts, where to splice, etc) Pictures would be nice too.

#101 ·
Brad,

Great thread, add me to your "disciples". My install (same Camry 86120-0C020 radio) went great following instructions here.
IOU a picture.

But I have a question. What is recommended for this radio, 4 or 8 ohm speakers?

#102 ·
Tomkat, yes when i wrote that I had yet to dig into the functionality of the accessory plug. The 12 pin plug size has since changed to a smaller one, but that doesn't concern 'US' because it changed pretty much at the same time the faces got bigger and custom, so those newer ones are unusable for our application. Appreciate the back-up! :good:

Dannymk2, all that may be WAY simplified if what I'm looking into turns out true. . . . . stay tuned. . . .

Ozzie, that would be 4OHM brotha. Yes you do owe me a pic! Thanks man. . . .

#104 · (Edited)
FINALLY got time for this addition . . .

Allright, finally had some time to put together a brief description of possible options using OEM stereos and the wiring harness adapter. This is by no means a be-all end-all list, and I'm sure many have thought of some of these allready but I thought I should put a post like this together. :salute:

The pics aren't the greatest but you get the point. (all of what you see is for sale, and I will put a thread in the For Sale section)

To start with, as far as the cassette option, you either want it or you don't, OR you can use it as a 'theft deterrent' look while still controlling a hidden CD changer, possibly under the seat like I have in my 4Runner etc.
If you want to go with the hidden CD changer, you can go with a single space 'theft deterrent' head unit, Cassette with changer controls, OR CD, 1 in dash, multiple under ther seat etc. (Internally or Externally amplified.)

Here's an example of the newer style Cassette w/ CD changer controls and a pocket for the other space:

Or the 2 pc version w/ CD:

Obviously you know that the 1 pc double DIN units work well, both int/ext amplified. Unfortunately not the 6 disc, too deep. :sadsmilie

Lets not forget, ALL these units have aux controls!! You can also use the newer 1 pc units with a hidden CD changer as well! (I have a 6 disc in the dash of my 4Runner, w/ a Toyota 8 disc changer under the seat. My little 'jukebox' ;) )

You really do have some options when it comes to keeping a 'stock' look to your Supra, while updating the audio.

I have come to the conclusion that not only do the externally amplified units offer the broader control of the sound, but sound a bit louder and warmer in general, although I don't have the stats to back that up , so it's mostly just IMHO. .;)

#105 ·
i am going to install my scion pioneer unit soon!! I talked my wife into letting me have it.. lol She wanted to hang onto it, even after i paid 1500 for her to have a complete entertainment system in her ride.. thanks for your knowledgable write up! ... Do you think i need to get a amp for mine? I dont need anything crazy in terms of bass, i just want a good working cd player and sound. Were did u get your plugs from? do i need a aftermarket cd player adapter plug for a supra? and one for scion? This is my unit:

#106 ·
i am going to install my scion pioneer unit soon!! I talked my wife into letting me have it.. lol She wanted to hang onto it, even after i paid 1500 for her to have a complete entertainment system in her ride.. thanks for your knowledgable write up! ... Do you think i need to get a amp for mine? I dont need anything crazy in terms of bass, i just want a good working cd player and sound. Were did u get your plugs from? do i need a aftermarket cd player adapter plug for a supra? and one for scion?
An amp shouldn't be thought of as adding additional bass, although that's what first naturally comes to mind with many people. Whether or not you NEED an amp is based on what unit you intend to install. All the info is in the thread as far as plugs, amps etc.
Unfortunately the unit in your pic is oversized and cannot be installed in the stock MKII surround. I have seen many Scion units available, and while they seem to have many very nice features, they never seem to fetch much, so I don't at this point know if that's due to them being too specific to there fitment applications, or what.

HTH

:salute::salute::salute:

#108 ·
Wahoo! In my effort to do every good mod on this site, I finally bit the bullet-Got a model#16810 AM/FM/CD/Cassette Internally amped double din. Installation was a snap, my old cassette had a schosch adaptor, and I got plenty of harness with my new cassette. Fabbed up an adaptor, and unit slid right in. Pics tomorrow, as its dark now. Unit works like a charm, 1980s Blau Acapulco replaced by 1999 tech-Sounds much better. I wired the rear channel to my Amp/Speaker/Sub Board, and fronts to stock speaker locations-So my 6 pin plug is "hardwired" to car, and my 10 pin is wired to schosch. Great Mod-Thank You very much, Brad.

#109 ·
Thanks for the input! You're welcome! Just glad I could help, and this could fill a need here.

Don't forget the pic! I want to see how that model looks installed. I've kinda skipped right over that one. For some reason it doesn't really appeal to me personally, aesthetically speaking. It's like the 'evil stepsister' thang. . .

#110 ·
Well-Its the first one I found that was all in one locally-There is a HUGE selection on Ebay (oemradio?, etc)and others if I was more picky. I like the functionality/features of this one, but it prob wouldnt be my first choice-When I find a real nice set, this one will plug right into my 98 Corolla, LOL! Heres a crappy night pic-I have since squared up all the gaps. Edit-One quick note-Having both the CD and Cassette as near the top as possible is an obvious advantage in a 5-speed..
[/IMG]

#112 ·
Muhaha. :eekfacepalm: . The gauges actually caused the only problem, as I cut the holes just a scoshe too close to the radio side of the surround. This was never an issue before, but this 16810 unit is maxed out on size. I can see where the 6 disc would be too big.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.