Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Stock Stereo Wiring

30K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  AJ 
#1 ·
I had the dash apart in the 84 and documented (hopefully for a sticky in ICE).

There are three plugs that are used in the Stock stereo - two 'natural' colored (9 pin and 5 pin) and a blue plug. The blue plug is not used when installing another stereo.

To avoid cutting the stock wiring, get a $8 Toyota stereo wiring harness from Walmart. The wire colors from the wiring harness match up nicely with the wire colors from the aftermarket stereo harness and plugs right into the car's existing plugs.

9 pin Plug - has the front speakers
Standard Wiring Harness.......Mk2 wiring
Black, Ground.....................Brown with Black stripe
Red, 12v ACC.....................Grey with Brown bands
Blue, Power Antenna............Black with Brown bands (also loops and connects to Red with White stripe & Black bands)
Orange, Illumination.............Green with Brown bands

Grey, Right Front + .............Turquoise with 2 Brown stripes
Grey, Right Front - ..............Blue with 2 Brown bands
White, Left Front + .............Pink with 2 Brown bands
White, Left Front - .............Purple

5 pin Plug - has the rear speakers
Standard Wiring Harness.......Mk2 wiring
Yellow, 12v Memory.............Blue with Yellow stripe & Brown bands

Purple, Right Rear + .............Red with 2 Black bands
Purple, Right Rear - .............Pink with 2 Brown bands
Green, Left Rear + ...............Black
Green, Left Rear - ...............Yellow with Brown bands

Also, in the front passenger footwell under the blower there is a good ground with a hole already cut in the carpet.
The yellow speed control box has a ground coming off the circuit board and is soldered to the metal brace/leg already.
I cleaned off the paint down to bare metal and added a 2 banger distribution block to this existing ground for use with additional electronics.

Ken

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
noone mind my stupidity im a lil drunk but it looks to me like this is a rhdc (right hand drive car) i and probly wrong seeing as i have not taken apart the pass side kick panle off to inspect whats behind it. o and your lucky i couldnt find a wiring harrness in walmart i hade to order online.

#7 · (Edited)
wiring for the stock rears

I decided to change the stock rear speakers out today on the 83, and this is what I found...

The wires from the stock harness are brown/yellow stripe, and brown/black stripe (drivers side shown above) and brown/white stripe, and brown/black stripe passenger side. Since both sides have brown/black stripe...those must be right and left rear negative, and the yellow and white striped wires must be the positives?

Wiring must have changed in 84?

#10 ·
Hello All,
the wiring harness in the top of this thread does not show where the 6 inch (5th?)speaker under the glove compartment is wired. Also, what color is the backlighting on the 1985 P type radio? I have an original radio without working lights...I also have a working radio from a parts car that looks like it's orange color and does not seem to match the dash and AC controller lights...Can anyone advise? Thank you, Pete

#11 ·
#13 · (Edited)
Anyone have a good 83 wire conversion?
The one in the OP doesn't match my TSRM or on car wiring. I can trace the wires on the car but that is not telling me what is (+) and (-) on the speakers. Hell the TSRM doessn't even have the color of one wire listed (FR).

Editing as I trace wires:
Front Left: GR-R (+) V-G (-)
Front Right: V-W (+) GR-B (-)
Sub: LG-R (+) LG-B (-)
Rear Left: BR-R (+) BR-Y (-)
Rear Right: BR-R (+) BR-W (-)

B goes to Power Antenna Connector
R-W has connectivity to R-W at Power Antenna Connector. This is different than the TSRM. TSRM shows B-W.

#14 ·
To find speaker polarity, you can disconnect the speaker wires and use a 1.5V battery and a couple of jumper wires to very quickly (a second or two max) attach the battery to the speaker. If you have the polarity correct, the speaker cone will move slightly out. If it's backwards, it'll move in.

#15 ·
Crutchfield wiring diagram from back in the Yahoo Groups forum days...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.