AFM to MAF sensor conversion from Split Second - Page 2

Poll: I am interested..Count me in!!

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member mk2_suprafan's Avatar
    ok, my biggest question before i make a final decision... does it come with wiring instructions(for if you jsut want to splice in the connector)? or will i have to figure it out on my own?
    TSRM download links >>>> Hidden Content : Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

George -- why not go with the standard 5M-GTE fuel setup? That appears to work well for the people like Aaron Garney who run it... ?

Quote Originally Posted by quick
    George -- why not go with the standard 5M-GTE fuel setup? That appears to work well for the people like Aaron Garney who run it... ?
    ]

without some outside type of fuel management and timing management I would not go too high on the boost. I am going to try for 15psi but I have S-AFC and 295's we'll see what happens. now to just get some dyno time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 85TurboMKII
    Quote Originally Posted by quick
    ]

without some outside type of fuel management and timing management I would not go too high on the boost. I am going to try for 15psi but I have S-AFC and 295's we'll see what happens. now to just get some dyno time.
    That's my concern. I just don't think that the stock efi system is capable of calculating high boost pushing over 400rwhp. My concern is: I know that a stand-alone will eleviate this concern, my only issue with that is that if I can find away around it without spending $2000+ on a computer that would be great.

Hence, my question: will this system adequately (and safely) calculate the necessary fuel requirements, or is a stand-alone my only option. My mechanic/tuner is an authorized techtom dealer and can moderately adjust my timing and fuel curve, but obviously it's still using the stock fuel management system. Let's have it, what do you guys think.

Is anyone else running 400+rwhp safely with the stock 5/6m computer. I emphasize safely, cause i'd rather spend the cash now, than have the motor blow up on me.

TIA,

George
    84 MKII 6m-needed EFI Advice
    89 MKIII T - for sale

I would go with the AEM for the 7MGE when it comes out. Thats what I'm planning on trying when it comes out. The 5 and 7MGE EFI systems are fairly similar function wise. I'm thinking of trying to switch over the 7M harness, injector, and as many sensors as possible over to the 6M. The AEM can be commonly had for around $1400 and it has features that make it one of the best out there.
    1985 Super Silver Supra 2JZGTE
    2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ FA20 supercharged
    2001 Black Sand Pearl Corolla 1ZZFE
    "You can never go fast enough....."

Bob,
    Check your PMs

-Andrew

MAF Conversion

Thanks Bob and Jason for testing and sourcing this kit !

Could you guys give everyone (especially us elect. challenged types) a brief overview of what is needed to install and tune this kit ? The actual wiring sounds pretty easy, but do we need a laptop, decent fuel mapping knowledge, or dyno to tune the kit ? Since I don't have a turbo, can this kit easily adapt to the 5mge motors, especially those modified but still not on any boost ? My car still runs lean on the upper rpm range (above 4k), and if the MAF doesn't help, then maybe I'll need to go to bigger injectors
    (presently have 210cc). Thanks guys !

DonL.

Ok..Lots to answer here, so here goes, one at a time...

George, This thing will more than handle the most spirited ofr 6M's you can throw at it. It will improve your airflow, and at the same time offer you better fuel tuning than an Apex-i S-AFC. I am using it to control the fuel on my 5M-GTE at 15 PSI, and expect no problems in the least. And your right about the stock ECU and Boost... under ANY level of boost above abour 2 or 3 PSI, the ECU is out of it's league. Someone suggested an RRFPR like Aaron used, which is a great idea... until you try going above stock boost on a CT-26 (~7 PSI) At that point, you just really can't reliably push any more fuel pressure thru your injectors without worry of failure. With this kit, you can use 295's or even 440's and have the ability to cut the fuel back under idle and part throttle, and still have the fuel ya need under full boost.

Mk2_Suprafan. It does come with wiring instrustions, as well as full tech support from Split Second. Just give them a call, and they will help you out!

DonL.. This kit works well on N/A cars..in fact, our test mule (i.e Jason's Car) is competely stock except for an electric fan. In so far as installation, I would imagine basic hand tools, a soldering iron, heat shrink wrap (Or butt connectors if you don't weant to solder your connections.) Tuning is easy with a laptop. Your laptop needs to be running the latest version of whatever form of Windows you have. Marc says that Tuning time should take "about an hour or 2" of driving around and adjusting your mixture, and then you can go one set further and dyno tune it as well if you like. The added bonus is that once Jason gets his car dynoed, we are going to upload his settings to a centralized server, so everyone can start with that tuning and adjust for their mods from there. In so far as your car running lean above 4K, this will help. You fuel is tuneable from 500 to 8500 rpm's.

Also, someone PM'ed me and asked if the fact that the 82-83 AFM's are a little different than the 84-to 86 AFM's mattered. Just to put this out there... No, it doesn;t matter. While some of the wiring is a bit different, the actual signal the AFM produces is the same, and as such, this kit will work.

If anyone knows someone with a similar vintage MR-2 or Toyota Pickup, let them know about this kit, as it will work identically with those cars.

Also, a concern about the $15 shipping from them to me was expressed. That was a high end, ballpark figure that Marc gave me. He couldn;'t give me an exact figure until I knew definately how many units I needed. Just so everyone knows that I am not trying to scrape a few dollars off this, if the shipping is less than the $15 quote, I will refund that money to you.

Hope this answers as many of the questions out there as possible.... anymore, please, throw them up

EDIT: to everyone who has PMed melooking for Shipping costs, I will have them to you in a day or two. I lost the paper that I had the weights and measurements of the kit and everything...so I have to call Marc again.. :oops:

CelicaSupra.com Member mk2_suprafan's Avatar
    so, ok, since i dont have a laptop, anyone in or around the bay area wanna spend a day with me and install and tune the MAF? beer's on me

*edit* this probably wont be for another couple months(hopefully before june though), probably mid to late may
    TSRM download links >>>> Hidden Content : Hidden Content

Trying to get idea of total cost with all the options, air temp sensor, a/f gauge, do we go buy a new Ford MAF ?? Maybe save some $$ by using the used MK4 units that Bob mentioned ?

I have an old Pentium 100 laptop, windows 95. Maybe ok for tuning ?

Had to post this via IE, the AOL kept giving me invalid session message.

Don L.

Thread Information