Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

I am interested..Count me in!!

• Sign me up, I'll take more than one!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

AFM to MAF sensor conversion from Split Second

55K views 255 replies 30 participants last post by  Donn29 
#1 ·
Heres the deal so far,

I have worked out a deal with Split Second to arrange for a group purchase of their PSC1-005 AFM to MAF sensor conversion kit. The price is $250, plus shipping. Here's exactly what it does:

It replaces the restrictive and dated AFM airbox that Toyota used with a free flowing MAF sensor. In addition, it also offers adjustments of the fuel map by altering the airflow signal. It offers this adjustment at a total of 16 points from 500 to 8500 RPM's...which is what the Apex-I S-AFC and S-AFC II do, only this allows more adjustment than those! An added bonus is that it uses fuel maps based on airflow rather than just a high and low throttle setting like the Apexi does..

All of this means basically, more airflow, better control of your fuel, at a pretty reasonable price.

Jason Mooreman just finished having this setup installed and tuned by Split Second, and we should have a first impression from him on Thursday (3/13) and on Saturday (3/15) he says he is gonna take his car to the Dyno, so we should have some real numbers to show the exact gain!

:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Very exciting! I'm curious to see before and after dyno results.
Nice job on hooking up the MkII crowd with a potential big gain in performance. :)

...and the best part is that MAFs aren't that expensive from what I've seen... you can often get them used I suspect.

#3 ·
I may be interested in two...if the HP gain is significant AND it's California smog legal. I've already got enough parts on my car that I may have to remove and reinstall to pass the visual, and I may have another car coming....!

#4 ·
Malibyte said:
I may be interested in two...if the HP gain is significant AND it's California smog legal. I've already got enough parts on my car that I may have to remove and reinstall to pass the visual, and I may have another car coming....!
It would look very similar.

#5 ·
I'll double check about the CARB exemption for Cali. I would imagine as they are based there, they are, but I will make sure. As Quick said, really, other than the fact that its a MAF sensor as opposed to a AFM box, I don't think they will even notice, if you mount the box somewhere that its not readily visable.

Anyone else have anything for me to ask Marc tommorrow? Get the questions up now, because I plan on having a LONG talk tommorrow with him... and hitting him with everything under the sun and then some.

Oh... Also, I may have a source for 7 Mk IV MAF sensors (well, its 8, but I want one)... cost between $50 and $60 shipped each. Just waiting to hear back from the guy, and waiting to find out what size the stock Mk IV MAF is. Quick, did you ever measure yours?

#7 ·
Ok guys, just spoke with the guy with the MAF's. He has 8 total... and since I am taking one, that leaves 7 more to go. IF we can move all of them, he'll give them to us for $50 each, otherwise, he wants $60. Either way its a great price for a stock Toyota MAF. They don't have connectors, but I tihnk the kit may come with the connectors anyway. I'll double check with Marc tommorrow. Even if they don't, a little solder and some heat shrink wrap will do wonders :)

I'll post more tommorrow about this.

Bob

#8 ·
Some word from Jason....

"I like it. :)

Most notable areas of improvement for me are above 4k rpm, and the responsiveness when initially getting on the throttle. I'm too exhausted tonight to get into details, but I know you all were dying to hear *something*. Daily driveability hasn't suffered in the slightest.

Saturday morning I'll dyno and post pics mid-afternoon.

-Jason Moorman
http://speedtoys.com/~moon/1986/"

Brief but effective :)

#9 ·
BIG NEWS!

Ok Gang, here it is... the finalized info!

I spoke to Jason today on the phone, and he likes the conversion...ALOT. He said the biggest gains, according to his finely tuned Seat-o-the-pants-o-meter, is about 4K, where it REALLY starts to pull. HE also said that he is rowing through the gears a bit faster than before, and the throttle response and over all driveability is actually better than stock! He's going to go picture crazy tommorrow and post them on his FTP site, and I believe he mentioned some Dyno time too.

I then called Marc at Split second. Let me answer one of the biggest questions that has been posed about this. Is this Smog check legal? The official Answer is, that this kit, in the state of California anyway, is off-road use only. Now, un-officially and off the record, Marc said that many of the vehicles that they do this converison on are highly modified vehicles and the owners actually do this conversion to improve emmissions and get it thru a smog check! In so far as the visual check, well, unless you have an inspector who is very car saavy and knows the Mk II Supra, in reality, he said you have very little chance of problems. So, take that answer for whatever you will.

The MAF sensor they use on the kit, is in fact a Ford MAF, and the electronics come with a connector for them. The toyota MAF uses a different style connector, so if you want to use one of the MAF's that I have sourced, you'll be responsible for either finding your own connector to splice in, or wiring the MAF direct yourself.

Now... the final pricing.

The PSC1-005 AFM to MAF sensor kit plus shipping to me costs $265, plus whatever shipping costs are from me to you. The kit itself is $250 and Marc estimated $15.00 a kit to ship them from Him to me.

The ARM-1 Air Fuel Guage he is offering at a price of $89.00 each. This is JUST the guage, nothing more.

He is also offering the AIT1, Air intake Temp sensor to us for $40 a peice, which is a $10 discount. Its not a manditory piece to make the kit work, and the final choice is up to you. If you don't have an air temp sensor, the kit will tell your car its a constant 70 degree's outside.

The Final date to get the money to me, is Friday, April 4th. BEFORE you send me ANY money, PM me here with your address, so I can try to figure out shipping from me to you. I will be shipping via UPSP, insured and with tracking for each person, unless you ask me about something different. I am asking that money orders or checks be sent. If you want to meet with me in person so I can give you a receipt, I'll take cash.

My contact info is:
Bob Kaucher
P.O. Box 715
Quantico, VA, 22134.

Phone Number: (703) 568-8672

I set the P.O. Box up specifically for this buy, as my normal address is a military Mail address, and things tend to take forever to get to me that way. If anyone has ANY reservations about this, feel free to call me any time and talk to me.

There it is boys and girls :)

Lets get this thing going! :)

#10 ·
Eh Bob, any word from your boy at split second as to if this conversion can handle an 'adequately powered' 6m. I'm really curious.

Any of you senior and more 'educated' members, what do you think? As some of you may have heard (probably a million times) I'm planning on putting my HKS Sport Turbo on my 6m. My only concern is fuel management. Now I'm pretty sure that the stock 5/6m computer is not capable of calculating accurately mega boost out of that turbo. So, will this kit help or is stand alone my only option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

George
84 MKII 6m
89 T - 4 Sale

#13 ·
quick said:
George -- why not go with the standard 5M-GTE fuel setup? That appears to work well for the people like Aaron Garney who run it... ?
]

without some outside type of fuel management and timing management I would not go too high on the boost. I am going to try for 15psi but I have S-AFC and 295's we'll see what happens. now to just get some dyno time.

#14 ·
85TurboMKII said:
quick said:
George -- why not go with the standard 5M-GTE fuel setup? That appears to work well for the people like Aaron Garney who run it... ?
]

without some outside type of fuel management and timing management I would not go too high on the boost. I am going to try for 15psi but I have S-AFC and 295's we'll see what happens. now to just get some dyno time.
That's my concern. I just don't think that the stock efi system is capable of calculating high boost pushing over 400rwhp. My concern is: I know that a stand-alone will eleviate this concern, my only issue with that is that if I can find away around it without spending $2000+ on a computer that would be great.

Hence, my question: will this system adequately (and safely) calculate the necessary fuel requirements, or is a stand-alone my only option. My mechanic/tuner is an authorized techtom dealer and can moderately adjust my timing and fuel curve, but obviously it's still using the stock fuel management system. Let's have it, what do you guys think.

Is anyone else running 400+rwhp safely with the stock 5/6m computer. I emphasize safely, cause i'd rather spend the cash now, than have the motor blow up on me.

TIA,

George
84 MKII 6m-needed EFI Advice
89 MKIII T - for sale

#15 ·
I would go with the AEM for the 7MGE when it comes out. Thats what I'm planning on trying when it comes out. The 5 and 7MGE EFI systems are fairly similar function wise. I'm thinking of trying to switch over the 7M harness, injector, and as many sensors as possible over to the 6M. The AEM can be commonly had for around $1400 and it has features that make it one of the best out there.

#17 ·
MAF Conversion

Thanks Bob and Jason for testing and sourcing this kit !

Could you guys give everyone (especially us elect. challenged types) a brief overview of what is needed to install and tune this kit ? The actual wiring sounds pretty easy, but do we need a laptop, decent fuel mapping knowledge, or dyno to tune the kit ? Since I don't have a turbo, can this kit easily adapt to the 5mge motors, especially those modified but still not on any boost ? My car still runs lean on the upper rpm range (above 4k), and if the MAF doesn't help, then maybe I'll need to go to bigger injectors
(presently have 210cc). Thanks guys !

DonL.

#18 ·
Ok..Lots to answer here, so here goes, one at a time...

George, This thing will more than handle the most spirited ofr 6M's you can throw at it. It will improve your airflow, and at the same time offer you better fuel tuning than an Apex-i S-AFC. I am using it to control the fuel on my 5M-GTE at 15 PSI, and expect no problems in the least. And your right about the stock ECU and Boost... under ANY level of boost above abour 2 or 3 PSI, the ECU is out of it's league. Someone suggested an RRFPR like Aaron used, which is a great idea... until you try going above stock boost on a CT-26 (~7 PSI) At that point, you just really can't reliably push any more fuel pressure thru your injectors without worry of failure. With this kit, you can use 295's or even 440's and have the ability to cut the fuel back under idle and part throttle, and still have the fuel ya need under full boost.

Mk2_Suprafan. It does come with wiring instrustions, as well as full tech support from Split Second. Just give them a call, and they will help you out!

DonL.. This kit works well on N/A cars..in fact, our test mule (i.e Jason's Car) is competely stock except for an electric fan. In so far as installation, I would imagine basic hand tools, a soldering iron, heat shrink wrap (Or butt connectors if you don't weant to solder your connections.) Tuning is easy with a laptop. Your laptop needs to be running the latest version of whatever form of Windows you have. Marc says that Tuning time should take "about an hour or 2" of driving around and adjusting your mixture, and then you can go one set further and dyno tune it as well if you like. The added bonus is that once Jason gets his car dynoed, we are going to upload his settings to a centralized server, so everyone can start with that tuning and adjust for their mods from there. In so far as your car running lean above 4K, this will help. You fuel is tuneable from 500 to 8500 rpm's.

Also, someone PM'ed me and asked if the fact that the 82-83 AFM's are a little different than the 84-to 86 AFM's mattered. Just to put this out there... No, it doesn;t matter. While some of the wiring is a bit different, the actual signal the AFM produces is the same, and as such, this kit will work.

If anyone knows someone with a similar vintage MR-2 or Toyota Pickup, let them know about this kit, as it will work identically with those cars.

Also, a concern about the $15 shipping from them to me was expressed. That was a high end, ballpark figure that Marc gave me. He couldn;'t give me an exact figure until I knew definately how many units I needed. Just so everyone knows that I am not trying to scrape a few dollars off this, if the shipping is less than the $15 quote, I will refund that money to you.

Hope this answers as many of the questions out there as possible.... anymore, please, throw them up :)

EDIT: to everyone who has PMed melooking for Shipping costs, I will have them to you in a day or two. I lost the paper that I had the weights and measurements of the kit and everything...so I have to call Marc again.. :oops:

#20 ·
Trying to get idea of total cost with all the options, air temp sensor, a/f gauge, do we go buy a new Ford MAF ?? Maybe save some $$ by using the used MK4 units that Bob mentioned ?

I have an old Pentium 100 laptop, windows 95. Maybe ok for tuning ?

Had to post this via IE, the AOL kept giving me invalid session message.

Don L.

#21 ·
The total cost, if you got everything (which isn't manditory) would be $454.00 plus some shipping, with the Mk IV MAF's I have sourced.

The Ford MAF's, according to Jamie Bergen, are about $120 for a recnditioned one from most parts stores... which is about $60 more than the Mk IV ones I have found. You have to decide of the headache of getting a Mk IV MAF connectorand wiring it in is worth the $60 your saving.

I am NOT suppling ANY of the MAF's BTW. I have found someone who has 8 of the Mk IV MAF's for $60 each ($50 each if we take all of them), and I am just passing along his contact info to you.

That Laptop should be ok for tuning. If ya can, go online and update all the drivers and software, as well as the windows version though, to make sure you have no problems. Marc says that any Windows version from 95 on up will work fine, so long as it has the latest updates available to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.