Battery Tie Down Thread - Page 9

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    As the old saying goes....."There's More Than One Way To Skin A Cat".......which was really about CatFISH, and not the little furry creatures that hack up hairballs.

I don't have any way to weld or braze things back together, so I'm taking the "Cut-and-Bend" approach.

I mad the first cut with the Dremel, rebent the clamp, and now it snuggles down to the battery:

From the top:

The 1st cut I made was probably a bit wider than it has to be, but I'm doing this "by ear", so it aint gonna be perfect, just an example of what can be done with a MK-III clamp.

Back to a bit more Dremel-and-bend work!
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    As the old saying goes....."There's More Than One Way To Skin A Cat".......which was really about CatFISH, and not the little furry creatures that hack up hairballs.

I don't have any way to weld or braze things back together, so I'm taking the "Cut-and-Bend" approach.

I mad the first cut with the Dremel, rebent the clamp, and now it snuggles down to the battery:

Better catfish than cats !
    Looks like the battery is snug inside the L-bracket with your modification, just need another little bend to get the bolt hole lined up...... or just use a long bolt to compensate.

From what I've seen so far this looks like this will almost certainly the best alternative for MKII owners needing a hold-down (myself included).
    Joel - '83 Black P-Type
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Annnnnd..... It Fits!

Four cuts, two bends, and it fits!

Is it pretty?

No, not yet. A more careful placement of the cuts, possibly using a thin saw blade instead of that meat axe of a Dremel I used, and a little more care in bending it, and I think it would be quite passable.

Does it work?

YEP!

Nice and snuggled down to the battery.

A little file work to smooth the edges, maybe a bit of JB Weld to fill the cuts, and a shot of satin black paint, and it'll look a bunch better than it does now.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Four cuts, two bends, and it fits!

Nicely done Sir, that looks pretty darn good ! Those small cuts aren't very noticeable, and don't look bad anyhow since they're symmetrical and clean.
    I'm glad this worked. It looks like factory too, that's what I want for my car. As long as Toyota keeps these parts for sale we all have a good solution to a loose battery now.

Thanks for trying this, especially since you had the MKII part and didn't need to.
    I guess I need to contact the dealer and get one on order for myself !
    Joel - '83 Black P-Type
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Yeah, watch there be a run on MK-III battery clamps now!

After I have dinner, I'll take the uncut part number 74404-14310 that I have, take some pix and edit them as to where I put the cuts, and post them.

This was real "Quick-and-Dirty", and I'm sure with some careful placement of the cuts and care in bending, it would look really nice.

And I can put my OEM MK-II bracket back in the plastic bag, and save it for the guy doing a "Pebble Beach" restoration.......
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

I would not have cut the MK3 part. I would have made from a rubber block a spacer in an L shape to fill the gap between the new part and the battery. I've done that in the past for lower hight battery, and it holded very well.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hi Jim,

How tall is the battery? Are they all this size now a days? I would be tempted to find a pad that fits inside the battery tray or under the battery tray to bring it up to the height of the hold-down. If it was the size of the base of the battery it might not be visible.

I know that when I replaced the OEM battery years ago the batteries were a different size than the old one. Is it possible that some batteries are a little taller and might fit without needing this modification?

Dale
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

The MK II takes a 24 F. The forward mounting point is at an angle. Looks like the MK III one is not angled.That's why it needs to be bent to fit properly.

If they are NA anymore,I should pull mine off and restore it so it doesn't corrode to nothing.
    Needs a touch up under the front mount,too.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Pictures of both brackets are on page 8 of this thread.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

It's hard to tell with pictures, but it looks like if you put a bolt through the Mk3 tie-down the angled portion of the tie-down would lie flat on the sheet metal. The problem would be that the tie-down would sit about 3/8" too high to touch the battery.

But, what if you raised the battery instead?

Would a rubber mat cut to fit under the battery bring the top of the battery up so that it snugs up against the tie down?

It's possible that the angle of the tie-down in this picture isn't the same angle of the sheet-metal that it mates to, but in this picture it looks pretty close.
    Just interested in seeing if one could avoid having to cut or modify the tie-down at all.

Oh, and of course check to make sure that raising the battery doesn't bring the terminals into contact with the hood. That could be an expensive mistake!!
    Last edited by supraz; 10-21-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

Thread Information