would anyone want to fix their broken sunroof cables for good???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Treece-mk2supra's Avatar

Exclamation would anyone want to fix their broken sunroof cables for good???

i might be making some aluminum pieces for the sunroof cables, the little plastic piece that breaks. i always have wondered why thy are plastic. but i need to know how many people would buy them before i get some made up?
    i dont know how much i will sell the pair for at the moment i will get more info when i get some and try them out. probably be around the 20 dollar range and up.

Thanks, Cody

pm me if you want me to put you down for a pair.
    Hidden Content TREECE 86 MK2 SUPRA.
    "black" 86 P- intake,exhaust,stiffer front sway bar, stiffer springs.
    "white" 89 mk3 turbo hardtop,few upgradesHidden Content
    95 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab, lifted 3.4 v6 35" mudterrain km2, leather Acura seats, infinity sound system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I'd be interested in seeing/hearing more about your solution before I commit, but in general, yes, I think a number of folks would *potentially* be interested in a solution to this problem.

Can you post some sketches or such of what your 'product' would look like?

Earl
    Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
    Augusta, GA

-- '85 P-Type, Two-Tone, 5Sp Manual, Stock, Daily Driver 23yrs --
    ...--...--...--443,000+ blissful miles and counting!...--...--...
    --...--...--...--(undergoing first motor rebuild) --...--...--...--

well i have to get the piece of crap plastic ones out of my dd and take a look, but it will look pretty much the same as the oem ones, but aluminum. and the rivets that hold them probably will be drilled out and have some screws in there, if so all that will come with the product. i will get more info next week hopefully.
    all i am doing now is trying to get a number for bout how many pieces will be made.
    these will be all pretty much hand made, besides using a mill and etc.
    95 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab, lifted 3.4 v6 35" mudterrain km2, leather Acura seats, infinity sound system.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Put me down for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Treece-mk2supra View Post
    well i have to get the piece of crap plastic ones out of my dd and take a look, but it will look pretty much the same as the oem ones, but aluminum. and the rivets that hold them probably will be drilled out and have some screws in there, if so all that will come with the product. i will get more info next week hopefully.
    all i am doing now is trying to get a number for bout how many pieces will be made.
    these will be all pretty much hand made, besides using a mill and etc.
    Sounds like a step in the right direction...thow my name in (seeing as I have to replace mine anyway with a good set I found at a local Pull-A-Part).

It's agreed those plastic jobs just don't cut it. Mine lasted about 20 years before the passenger side broke (back corner sagged) then the driver's side broke too about a year later (both back corners of sunroof sag now).

Considering the heat these sunroofs are exposed to (it's pretty hot in Georgia during the summer and mine is parked in an open parking lot at work each day), I'm actually surprised those wimpy little plastic thingies lasted as long as they did.

Earl
    Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
    Augusta, GA

-- '85 P-Type, Two-Tone, 5Sp Manual, Stock, Daily Driver 23yrs --
    ...--...--...--443,000+ blissful miles and counting!...--...--...
    --...--...--...--(undergoing first motor rebuild) --...--...--...--

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Plastic was a poor choice of material in the mechanism--it's bound to fail. Aluminum would have to be well lubricated to not bind up, though.

I think it's good idea, but you won't get rich. You could make a few bucks for your
    trouble if the price is right, but you would want to take preorders once you had a prototype.

It's another one of those weak links: broken speedo gears, no headlight whiskers, cracked radio bezels, rusty sunroof panels....I just replaced the my whole sunroof channel last summer, when all I needed was the metal replacement part you are thinking of making.

It's made of plastic for a reason. A weak point is needed if things jam. A lot cheaper to replace a few plastic pieces than a motor, etc.

yea i just took mine apart bout 30 min ago to get measurements and drawing. when i got it back together the passenger side saged down, even thow they have been broke they would push up but now i cant get that one to go. it dont take as long to take apart as you would think, especially when you do it a few times . hope it wont leak ha! i bought this car bout 2 yrs ago from my uncle in Georgia. he let it set out for a year in the sun and it faded the paint in spots and made the whiskers crack up, they finally flew off ha but i have some more sun roof cables that i am going to get and whiskers from a guy on here that is parting his mk2 out. i will get back with you guys tomorrow after i talk to my shop teacher that will be helping me. i am only 17 and still in high school ha. but i have some good ideas on how to do this. i was thinking about metal ones but i want to make it as light as possible. hopefully we can get this problem knocked out it might take me a little while to get this just right. but i will get more info and pics asap. if you guys want to pitch in ideas or anything that would be awesome!

CelicaSupra.com Member jefe_not's Avatar
    I don't need them yet but I'll buy a set to throw in the tool box (just in case).
    Jeff Sawyer
    I used to have a few Supras. I do miss them...

ditto
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

Thread Information