would anyone want to fix their broken sunroof cables for good??? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Count me in

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Treece-mk2supra's Avatar
    i dont think there is a way to do it. unless we modified the rails.....
    Hidden Content TREECE 86 MK2 SUPRA.
    "black" 86 P- intake,exhaust,stiffer front sway bar, stiffer springs.
    "white" 89 mk3 turbo hardtop,few upgradesHidden Content
    95 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab, lifted 3.4 v6 35" mudterrain km2, leather Acura seats, infinity sound system.

Improved MK2 replacement sunroof cables coming soon!

Fellow MK2 enthusiasts,

With help and design support from a friend at work who is a manufacturing engineer, he and I have developed a working proto-type that is currently being tested/used in my daily driver. The plastic piece has been machined out of aluminum bar stock, but the real challenge is attaching the stock cable to the aluminum piece that travels on the factory channel. We plan on setting up a rotable pool of replacement units that will be sold on an exchange basis to anyone interested. The price will be less than the OEM "plastic" designed units (currently obsolete, however the price for each side from Toyota is over $170 per side). See below for prototype work in progress.

If anyone is interested, please let me know, and I can give you an ETA on when the first units will be available for shipment and the pricing. We are also considering making a DVD video on how to replace the cables. This would be part of the price of the cables, however could be purchased separately.

Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by Mopardragracer; 09-02-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: clerical

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Suprafanatic's Avatar
    I think the lineup is going to be a long one for these. Have you thought about using UHMWPE plastic instead of aluminum? Might be less costly....
    Cheers, Canadian Phil adrenaline"at"gto.net
    84 Maroon P-type - 82 P-type w/20K - 82 LP track bitch - 91 TT-R - 94TT 6spd - 89 Soarer Aerocabin
    "I'm not from here - your laws don't apply to me."

CelicaSupra.com Member celica fanatic's Avatar
    Keep me in tune man!!
    '82 Supra L, '85 Supra P, '84 Supra P,

CelicaSupra.com Member Lee_MA61's Avatar
    I like the smiley face in the background. Good work.
    Random House Racing
    -1984 Toyota, Celica Supra P-Type Super Red (2JZ-GTE + 74mm) JZA61 Hidden Content
    -2010 GMC, Sierra 2500HD Imperial Blue Metallic (L96)

CelicaSupra.com Member jefe_not's Avatar
    Yes, the list of people wanting these is growing...
    Jeff Sawyer
    I used to have a few Supras. I do miss them...

i still could use a set lemme kno what we have to do nd when

Improved MK2 replacement sunroof cables coming soon!

Quoting:
    "Suprafanatic

I think the lineup is going to be a long one for these. Have you thought about using UHMWPE plastic instead of aluminum? Might be less costly...."

Suprafanatic,

Thanks for the input. We'll certainly follow-up on the cost differential, but the real cost driver is the time it takes to machine the component to work with the rail. Since our ultimate goal is a robust design, aluminum seems like the obvious material of choice for now. We are in the process of sourcing the machine work, and once that is in, we'll have a better handle on the cost. A SWAG is going to be in the $200-$275 range for a pair (that would be exchange).

Stay tuned!

Steve

Improved MK2 replacement sunroof cables are here!

We have our first pair of cables ready for delivery. Since initial availability will be based on demand and core cable returns, our turn around time will be limited. Early on we will be building these on an as requested basis, so please be patient.

As for the price, the first 5 units we sell will go for only $225 a pair (plus shipping and core charge). Expedited shipping is available and we will ship outside of the US.

Just PM me with your order and once we have a pair ready to ship, simply pay $225 plus shipping and a $30 core charge via Paypal. We will ship replacements within 48 hours, and once we receive your old usable core, we will refund the $30 core charge back to your Paypal account. NOTE: The cable section of the core is the only part that needs to be reusable, and since the failing piece is the plastic foot that travels on the rail, we don't anticipate too many unusable cores.

A 1 year warranty is included for these cables, however given the longevity of the plastic OEM design, these improved units will likely outlast the cars we are so passionate about. Feel free to ask questions via this forum thread or PM.

Thanks,

Steve

Thread Information