Let's do this... slowly (Canadian 85P restore) - Page 2

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Alright, lets get started. I'm actually well into this project, I'm just a little behind on getting the pics sorted and uploaded.

Lets get a better idea of what we're dealing with. The first step of any restoration project is to strip the thing down and get a good look at the damage. Theres no rust from the doors forward so only the rear end and interior was stripped...

I use the supe in the corner of my shop as a bench all the time, don't think its going anywhere for awhile now...

Everything is meticulosly laid out so none of the soft touch parts have any pressure on them and the front seats are kept in the house.

The car was "clean" before I started, but nobody's mk2 can be truely clean till you strip it down to the body and wash it inside and out. So much trim on these cars for dirt to hide under! So I wheeled it out and gave it the most thorough bath of its life...

I washed inside every panel, inside the wheel wells and completely scrubbed down the inside of the floor pan and interior. A note to anyone who does this, be sure to pull all of the rubber plugs on the under side of the body, in particular any in frame rails as they will fill with water!
    Its best to do this on a hot sunny day and then let it dry, but I can't wait till summer. Luckily I have a heated body shop room in my shop and I cranked the heat and let it dry out afterwards.

Now lets look at the real damage. What was shown above didn't look like much, but this is what it looks like fully exposed...

rear seat belt mounting point

just starting to poke through on the other side

just starting on top of the wheel well

inside of hatch

this corner isn't too bad yet but theres a hole starting in the wheel well

DS rear corner

theres lots of problem areas under the gas tank on these cars

this is the underside of the spare tire well

this is one of the mounting points for the last exhaust hanger bracket, on the side of the spare tire well

inside of the gas cap chamber

this is the underside of the rear valance panel, just behind the rear bumper\rebar (and you'll never see this unless you remove the rebar)

So does this scare you? If you've never pulled your car apart and you have similar looking rust as in the first set of pictures, you should be scared. The longer you put off dealing with it the worse it gets, often out of sight. And yes I still consider this car Canadian Mint, theres not many in better shape in this country

But its time to make it truely mint! First up, repairs to the hatch area. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 02-05-2010 at 01:18 AM.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I truly love posts like this. I want to thank you for sharing with us, and keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing more.........
    Hidden Content Hidden Content , SDR, P-type. JDM 6MGE engine swap. T3 Camber Plates. Whiteline 27MM adjustable front sway bar. D/S brake rotors on all 4 corners. 200 amp alternator. Dual Batteries w/ isolator. Intake relocation. 6000K HID Headlights. OBX headers, 2.5" exhaust, no cat, Flowmaster muffler. LED dash light conversion. Custom LED 3rd brake lights. Custom LED reverse lights. F/R Solid mount strut bars.

CelicaSupra.com Member canadian_psyko's Avatar
    Awesome, should be fun to watch this progress.

I am the current owner of both L's and the 86 (1, 5, and 8).
    Cam

Daily: IS300

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    lol!
    i thought i was looking at my car for a second there!!!
    Decided to swap the engine out of the gate
    so buy all the bits i cant use!!!
    Hidden Content

Alright, finaly found some time to update this thread. Check my previous post with the problem areas, I added three new ones to the end of the list.

Also, there has been a slight change of plan. After talking to Dean we decided to keep this thread just about the build to this particular car so I'm just going to show pictures of the repairs as they're completed and I'm going to start a new thread to discuss the causes, repair process and prevention methods of all the common rust areas.

Dean! Edit your first post so your thumbnails aren't all on the same line, its making page 1 really hard to read.

First repair update is on its way!
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

CelicaSupra.com Member Wolfgang's Avatar
    Little off topic but as someone mentioned earlier.. Its time for another Vancouver meet...

Work looks good, I will be watching.
    85 Supra, Red, Auto, 300k. Chimpy 6M. MHG & ARPs. 60-1 Trim, Stainless Lines, Q45 Brakes, 16's, Al Rad+E fan, Oil kit and cooler, MSD 6a + Accel Coil ms2 3.57... Air shocks and coil overs in the works.. Maybe a mk3 trans next........

Ok, time to get caught up. I'll run through things here quickly in the order that I've been fixing them. Basically I'm starting from the rear end of the car and working my way forward. I'm only doing rust repair and metal work right now as I'm going to do all of the autobody and bondo work in one pass at the end (its easier, cleaner and quicker that way). So please keep in mind that the repairs you are looking at have not had any filler work done yet and anything that will be exposed will look like new before I'm done.

Alright, here's the repairs completed from the first 2 weeks work (I only work 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week on this thing btw)...

First up, this common spot that we get on the corners of the rear valance panel...

It doesn't look like a big deal, just grind it down and reseal it and be done right? Wrong, I've done that many times on past cars and it always comes back here. This is why...

If you pull the panel apart you see that the rust has started inbetween the layers. The only way to fix it for good is to separate the panel, grind and treat the rust on the inside, then put it all back together and seal it up properly...

Next up, classic hatch rust...

theres a smaller spot on the other side too.

I feared the worst as rust bubbles on the back end of the hatch almost always start from inside the folded edge. I took no chances. This is going to be a controversial repair process for such a mint hatch, but I assure you its necesary. I'll go into why moreso in the other thread and provide some more photo proof, but check out the repair pics here...

Thats right, I cut out huge chunks of metal from an almost mint hatch. Has to be done if you want to preserve these things for good and to be able to fix what rust it already has.

The sealant on the corners had failed and I had to pull one of them apart to fix rust that had started in there.

Grinding off the rust that had started on the surface under the wing resulted in a hole, so I had to patch it...

All back together and sealed up...

Its also extremely important to seal up the inner ridge around the glass. The inner and outer hatch skins are spot welded together on this ridge, and are not sealed on either side. When these spot welds start to rust its usually the begining of the end for a hatch, rust around the glass is very hard to fix properly. I added 2 more holes to be able to seal the bottom ridge completely on the inside...

And then sealed the ridge on the glas side all the way around...

And thats it, this hatch is safe! Moving on...

Ahh, the spare tire well. Its the sewer system of the supra unfortuantly. It doesn't look complicated, just surface rust...

But this freakin exhaust bracket mount complicates things.

I ended up removing it to clean up the rust around and under it, then "simplifing" its design and reattaching it. I was very tempted to cut this spare tire well out completely as there were several places where the surface corrision had eaten small holes through and the metal was very thin after I ground all the rust off. It seemed less overkill to just replace the bad areas with new metal. I used seam sealer on all my patch pieces, and then POR15 on any spot that I just ground the rust off of.

The rear ward drain required an all new piece as the lip had eaten away too far for the stock drain plug to fit in. I didn't have a hole saw in the size of the original rear ward plug so now it fits a plug like on the front side of the spare tire well.

And last, I shaved the stock attenna hole as requested. Look Ma, no warping!

You've got to be carefull filling holes in the middle of big panels, very easy to warp the panel from the heat.

And that completes our first update. I'm currently tackling the dreaded quater rust behind the rear axels, fun fun! I should have that up by next week.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 04-20-2010 at 02:49 AM.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    Little off topic but as someone mentioned earlier.. Its time for another Vancouver meet...

Work looks good, I will be watching.
    [OFF_TOPIC] I might be throwing a last minute DoriKaze meet for this sunday. You locals might want to get on the DK forum and attend meets with those guys. Pretty decent group of guys and I usually combine CS meets with the DK crew these days (like I used to in the old days when I first met Dean) as the local CS numbers aren't what they used to be. I usually cross post them here too, keep your eyes open, us DK guys move quickly when it comes to meets. www.dorikaze.net Mostly AE86 guys but the club caters to old school Canadian Toyota owners.[/OFF_TOPIC]
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Dean! Edit your first post so your thumbnails aren't all on the same line, its making page 1 really hard to read.
    Maybe use a proper browser that will wrap the images down to 6 across :badgeR:
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

Quick update here I can wrap up now.

The spot welds on the underside of valance panel are prone to rusting as the seam on the underside was never sealed up...

To fix it, you grind off the rust, use rust converting metal prep as insurance, then POR15, primer and sealant to seal in the seam...
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Thread Information