Body kit info, please read first. - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I always wondered why the bodykits were so frowned upon now that I see what has to be done, I'm definetly far more interrested in one. I figured they would be far worse fitting the way others spoke of it.

Thanks for the post definetly worth stickying.
    84' p-type - 64k 1 owner DD
    86' p-type - Forced into a pole.
    86' GT-S corolla - Neglected
    91' 3000gt vr4 581whp - Sold
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SuperSubs's Avatar
    Alot of the work should be expected with any fiberglass kit.

All cars are different, and I'm sure the kit in it's sprime was a perfect fit on the car they created it on. But fiberglass doesn't flex and stretch and forgive like a urethane kit does. Tweaking is a must if you want a great fit, but some of the things above were just plain poor mold casting/ cutting from the mold when released. Plus, who knows how long that kit sat on a shelf and how many different places and buisnesses had it in storage before I bought it....

-Mike

CelicaSupra.com Member lilpeenoiracer's Avatar
    damn i have the Erebuni front bumper that my friends went to pick up for me b4 their warehouse here in the westcoast shut down. got me the bumper for 150 bucks if i remember correctly. its been sitting at the top of my garage for a couple years now have yet to put it on my car. but i do remember test fitting it when i first got it and it was horrible fitment which i wont mind as im going to be doing all or most of the body work my self in my own garage.

thanks for the heads up though
    titus

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks all.

Also note how I don't have the trim/seal between the flair and body. Jamie didn't want to keep them black as they would distract from the monchrome vibe, and he also didn't want to paint them because it wouldn't last on that flexable a piece.

I am lucky to be able to say that all the door moldings on my car are either in 98% perfect condition, or were bought new when repainted. I really hope they stay nice, and don't start to warp over time.
    Last edited by SuperSubs; 03-23-2010 at 06:22 PM.

CelicaSupra.com Member mkiimaniac's Avatar
    Great work...always nice to see someone take the time to "do it right"....

So many half ass body kits on cars these days.

I believe my kit is an "F1" kit (prev owner told me that) although the sides/rear look very much like the erebuni.

I really need a front lip to finish mine and make it look good.
    82 7MGTE, W58, SP61/upgrded elbow, Spearco IC, P&P, 2.0MHG, VPC/SAFC2, LM-1 Wideband, Full 3in, TRD rear, Springs/Shox, Cold A/C, 85 deck Hidden Content

89 7MGTE, SP67 @ 18lbs, VPC/SAFC2, Spearco Front Mount, 550 inj, full 3inch exhaust
    WANTED: KAMINARI/EREBUNI front lip

Lol at me getting more PM's than ever since i posted this thread.

Intent fail.

Maniac, what is your kit made of? Urethane, fiberglass?

Thanks, -Mike
    Last edited by SuperSubs; 03-23-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSubs View Post
    Thanks all.

Also note how I don't have the trim/seal between the flair and body. Jamie didn't want to keep them black as they would distract from the monchrome vibe, and he also didn;t want to paint them because it wouldn;t last on that flexable a piece.

I am lucky to ba able to say that all the door moldings on my car are either in 98% perfect condition, or were bought new when repainted. I really hope they stay nice, and don't start to warp over time.
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets tons of emails asking about bodykits! It does get a bit old after a while.

The monochrome look is very nice. It changes the look of the Mk2. I think it makes it look a bit more modern. I parked my burgandy 86 with bodykit between a SDR 85 and a burgandy 86 Mk3 at a meet once and took a pic.

The kit on my burgandy 86 looks very similar to yours. The installer did a very nice job with it too, and it took a lot of work.

I don't think you'll need to worry about your door moldings. They were painted on my car too, and they still look perfect after 10 years. The 86 moldings are different than the 85 and older ones. Replacements from the dealer are of the 86 style. They are flexible, and don't contain any metal inside them, so they can't rust from the inside out and start to bubble. They aren't held on with clips going into holes in the body like the 82-mid 85 version, they are simply held on with adhesive.

Kudos for all the hard work on the car! It sure shows!
    Dean
    See my Toys at: Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Nice comparison pic Dean. I would be lying if I didn't say your site is the first time I saw a kitted car, and though about doing it.

I agree that the single color seems to take the car out of the 80's a bit, and make it seem like a bastard generation between the MKII and MKIII, but I like it.

...seem like a bastard generation between the MKII and MKIII, but I like it.
    Yeah a MKII.5

Mike - glad to see these pics - really shows how some kits fit, and the work and effort required (expense too). I did some double takes when I saw big gaps (trim not installed).

Can't believe you're getting more PM's now - link in sig long-term should work.
    Tom - 83 P-Type, 5 spd, Terra Cotta, 110K, Chicago, sold
    15 Accord EX-L V6
    97 528i, 110k..sold
    91 CRX.Si..114K
    84 Supra.P.125k..sold
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member mkiimaniac's Avatar
    Lol at me getting more PM's than ever since i posted this thread.

Intent fail.

Maniac, what is your kit made of? Urethane, fiberglass?

Thanks, -Mike
    Not even sure to be honest, I asked the prev owner to chime in...
    Body stuff was never my specialty, although I want to learn more.

I need better shots I know but... SOMEBODY SELL ME A FRONT LIP ALREADY!!

Pardon the semi-thread jack-just wanted you to see what I'm workin with
    82 7MGTE, W58, SP61/upgrded elbow, Spearco IC, P&P, 2.0MHG, VPC/SAFC2, LM-1 Wideband, Full 3in, TRD rear, Springs/Shox, Cold A/C, 85 deck Hidden Content

89 7MGTE, SP67 @ 18lbs, VPC/SAFC2, Spearco Front Mount, 550 inj, full 3inch exhaust
    WANTED: KAMINARI/EREBUNI front lip

Thread Information