Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Rota wheels.

132K views 192 replies 38 participants last post by  kovaa 
#1 ·
#6 ·
yeah those are way better than the last p45r's in terms of lips it is pretty baller! but i like the convex of the other p45r's bbk=win XD

something i have always wanted to do is to get a rim like that and get like 5 dollar bills (im cheap :p) and like glue them to the lip then clear coat over them so no one could steal it haha would be soooo neat i think! what do you think:thumbsup::SM130 (1):?

#11 ·
It seems all the new wheels they are offering are 18" plus and 5 bolt only for now. A sign of the times. It is interesting to note that if Rota gets enough demand from something like a group buy they will do a run to different spec. Bolt pattern, offset and even widths.

Some of the widths and offsets offered are near perfect for Ptypes, especially for those doing a 5 bolt conversion.

18x8.5 +15, with a Z31 or Starion hub and MPV disc that would fit like a +7 wheel.
18x9.5 +10 with a Z32 disc that would fit like a +8 wheel.
18x10.0 +10 with a Z32 disc that would fit like a +8 wheel.

Staggered 18" wheel sets for less than $1000, you can't complain about that.

If they only made the 9.5" and 10" rims in +0 offset...

#12 ·
I've never understood the ring around the perimeter of the spokes close to the wheel hoop. I know some WRC cars used to run rims like that. I can only guess that it is/was to promote strength in the spokes and perhaps to help distribute impacts across the other spokes...? Any other thoughts?

Like here:

#14 ·
in case you missed it

I know some people on here might not appreciate "fake"/copied wheels, but just sayin', my uncle started this thread on a miata forum for the Rota Grid V (creative name...) It's a TE37V knockoff, and I must say they look pretty damned good, for a copy. They should be available through certain vendors, I've seen them on eBay. Right now I need a job to earn enough money to buy a set when my parents go back to the Philippines on vacation in January (That's where rota is manufactured).

relevant links:
18 Racing page: http://18racing.com/wheel_grid_v.html

Pre-production photo:

Thread on roadster forum: http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=36603

Lip on the 15x8 4x114.3

On one of the rota owners ae86:

(btw before you say that he needs to lower the corolla, I'll tell you the road in the Philippines aren't all friendly to low cars hahaha)
Rota is also making Hayashi and Longchamp copies apparently.
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=38749

#17 ·
itd be nice if they made the 17in grids in a 7.5 or 8in width for the front. 9 is too wide.

#19 ·
a 17x8.5 +12 with 235 tire would rub my coilovers something fierce in the front. and a 0 offset would rub the flare. as i said, too wide.

#20 ·
^ that car is sitting on full-length coilover collars, plenty of room to the strut. If that setup rubs your coilovers, you did it wrong.

255/40 on 17x8.5+20mm! on the front of a celica GTS (which has LESS kingpin angle and therefore strut clearance than a supra)

...quit being a wuss and get some man-sized front tires on that car. Lol.

--billyM

#26 ·
^ that car is sitting on full-length coilover collars, plenty of room to the strut. If that setup rubs your coilovers, you did it wrong.

255/40 on 17x8.5+20mm! on the front of a celica GTS (which has LESS kingpin angle and therefore strut clearance than a supra)

...quit being a wuss and get some man-sized front tires on that car. Lol.

--billyM
now that im home and can see the pics. my coilovers would destroy that tire. ill try to get a pic of how far down my coilover sleeves go. they are prolly ~2in lower then the stock spring seat. and im running 8in long springs as mentioned before.

#21 ·
ill be running 235/45/17 nitto nt555's in the front and 275/40/17 nt555r's in the rear when i buy tires for my 17x7.5/8.5 +4 rotas. got other stuff to do first. btw, im running full length collars and 8in springs in the front. thinking of going to 10in long springs as don l recomended. my 16x7 0 offset with 225/50/16 tires has less then an inch from the tire to the coilover spring

#23 ·
The brown supra has the MPV rotors, the blue celica did not; straight on the hub.

Wheels are actually the RB 17x8.5+20mm in both shots. PERFECT fitment for the front /w the MPV in my opinion.

I just call them 17x8.5 +12mm (it makes it easier for others to decide offsets of wheel purchases)

All that said, the wider the tire on the front, the better! Add some negative camber, slap some wide rubber on, and these cars become g-force creating machines. Clover-leaf onramps are intoxicating...

I have a set of 255/40 ES100's waiting till the current rubber wears out, then they'll go all the way around.

--billM

#28 ·
most run 7" springs for front coilovers
william is runnign 8", and that is part of the reason his spring perch sits lower.
I have the same problem

#29 ·
i can actually go higher then stock ride height. and i can go so low that its undriveable. and yes, im running 8in springs in the front.

#30 ·
if i could do it over again, i would rather have gone with 7inch springs, I dont need to go above stock, so there is no advantage to the 8 inch springs.
and having the perch where i have it interferes with my tires.

#31 ·
actually, according to don lew, the longer the spring, the better. he actually said that he wanted to run 10in springs up front. idk, i have 8in springs and are happy with them. they work great and the car handles great too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.