Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

T3 Adjustable LCA weldon install

20K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  gaurav.kumar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello every one,

I wanted to contribute something to the forum so here it is. Techno Toy Tuning weldon LCA kit built.http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=772 I have not put these on yet but will do it after I get the car running so I can give an idea of before and after. Right now Have T3 camber plates, T3 strut rod, and super pro poly control arm bushing. Unfortunatly forgot to take pictures at first so do not have a picture of the control arm before I cut it. These are supposed to give between 1" and 1.5" of lenghting the control arm. Oh yeah kit was $203.44 shipped with CA tax. Kit is $175 also got two new control arms off ebay for 100 bucks shipped so $275 and a 12 pack of beer for my friend to use his shop.

First we took the whole heim joint peice with the block that welds onto the control arm to figure out how far back to cut it.

After we cut it we put the block in place to weld.

Here is some of the welds we welded all spots around the block the connect to the control arm

You could cut off the side wing tabs of the control arm for a cleaner looks but I figured no one would see these really once there on the car.

I also removed the stops for the steering knuckles im sure some one would say not to do it but I did for what im using these for. Drilled the spot welds then knocked it off

We then grinded the plates for the boxing of the LCA to make them fit inside of the control arm.

And to make them flush with the end we bent them down so the would connect to the block of the weld on kit

you could also cut the wings off the side of the control arm and get these grind these down further to make the touch the block but this is how I did it. Doesnt look as clean as the ones pre made for the AE86 by techno toy tuning but I'm sure it will work.
We then tacked them on then welded them up.

After that we threw them on a drill press and made a new hole for the sway bar to go through. the center of the hole is 1.25 over from the center of the other hole.

With all that done gave them a coat of paint and this is how they look now.

Wanna put a comment here I ended up drilling a hole through the bottom plate so i could get a socket in there for the sway bar end link.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice write up. I like what you did.

I do have one question. Is the person who welded the parts a certified welder? What are the laws concerning such components and welding. I'm sure here in Canada you will need to be CWB or TSSA certified, possibly AWB certified in the US. I've always wondered about this.

#4 · (Edited)
I have no idea on the laws on this. My friend welds for a living as well as runs a Cnc shop not worried about any welds. As for the law Would probly only matter here in California if you were pulled over and they decided to look(correct me if I'm wrong) . This is a track only car for the most part. This is probly not a daily driver mod although it could be done. Removing rubber or ureathane bushings is going to make the ride harsher.
________
Toys Bdsm

#5 ·
Did you use the E-bay LCAs listed as "85-88 Supra".. The title confuses me, but the LCAs for MKIIIs look a bit different don't they?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOWER-CONTROL-ARM-TOYOTA-SUPRA-85-88-FRONT-PAIR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3360ef1e76QQitemZ220669615734QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I really like this mod, and really considering going for it. Though I think I can beat the cost with some DIY krafty magic. What specific LCAs did you go with, and have you installed/or test fitted them yet?

#6 ·
Very nice.

I've had this exact idea in mind for several years. No time or money to make it happen however. Good to see it in action and I'm looking forward to hear about your experiences with these.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah I used these ones. I emailed him before I bought them to make sure it was what I was getting. Got an email back in broken english but when they arrived i checked them out and everything matched as far as I can tell. My only worry is about the ball joint but I still havent got to install these since car is not running yet and Need to break in a motor and not worry about an alignment. Trying to get it fired up this weekend (trying to do a shake down December 19th at willowsprings for the Justdrift toy drive). They seemed to be 100% the same control arm. As far as getting the heim joint an stuff for cheaper I'm sure you could but $175 is not a hell of a lot for it.

#9 ·
Every one by the way I was able to get these on and have ran them at the track twice well a two day event. Front end felt amazingly solid. Was able to extend them out a decent amount, looks like I welded them a little shorter then stock fully compressed about an 1/8 inch so could have had that much more adjustment. I also drilled a hole through the bottom plate so you could get a socket through to put the sway bay end link on. I am able to run 3.5 negative in the front with room on the camber plates. Realized one of my struts doesnt match to the other side so need to redo that and I could probly have around 5.5 degrees in the front if wanted. not the best pics but this is what its like with stock rims extended. not the best shots will try and get some more.

#11 ·
you want a pic of the camber plate or with the camber maxed? right now i have 4.6 degrees camber in the front with one plate pretty much maxed but the other one has tons of room on one side like i said need to get some new struts. This picture i have I think there is only 3.6 degrees.

#15 ·
I've had this exact idea in mind for several years. No time or money to make it happen however. Good to see it in action and I'm looking forward to hear about your experiences with these.
I emailed him before I bought them to make sure it was what I was getting. Got an email back in broken english but when they arrived i checked them out and everything matched as far as I can tell. My only worry is about the ball joint but I still havent got to install these since car is not running yet and Need to break in a motor and not worry about an alignment. Trying to get it fired up this weekend (trying to do a shake down December 19th at willowsprings for the Justdrift toy drive). They seemed to be 100% the same control arm. As far as getting the heim joint an stuff for cheaper I'm sure you could but $175 is not a hell of a lot for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.