"First Day" mods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"First Day" mods

Hey all. I'm a relative newbie to the board and the car, with my first mkII ('83 L 5-sp). I found this site looking for mods, and I just stopped here. There is so much information here, I've been paging through it for weeks. One thing struck me: there are all kinds of "quick and dirty" mods for these cars (sandtrap removal from the airbox, fluid changing, etc..), but they're all over the board. I'd like to see a list of those things you do in the few days/week immediately after you get a new mkII. I'd set the parameters as including a drop-in filter, but leaving an RC pipe for later. Just the simple things that you guys consider givens, but that noobs might not know about. TIA.

Josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

i've never noticed the sandtrap removal trick to work i think that's a more psychological boost is power because when i did that trick on my car it shifted harcher and my 0-60 time went up. my car doesn't like burning hot engine bay air.

my seat o the pants meter says removing the cat and hollowing it out(after driving around a few days open exhaust) works wonders on the performance of the car...especially one this old because the cat is prolly stuffed.

disbling the egr hpls performance some when your not at wot. you can do that by: look at the top of the TB. there are 3 lines coming out two go to a lil curcular thing with hoses out all neds of it and a black cap that's your egrcm. if you take one line off at the TB and one line off at the egrcm and loop them around and connect them to the port right next to it so basicly there are just two looped hoses your egr is disabled just remember to hook the lines back up right when you get to inspection time...

when running the 1/4 milke i found taking all the belts off including the waterpump belt helps time DRASTICLy like cuts almost a second off your time...BUT your engine has NO cooling whatsoever so once you do the run hook that bitch back up. and run the engine for a minute or so to get the water moving and cool.

as for otherstuff there are some little things that might work but nobody here has ever used them like the magnetic things you put on your fuel lines that breaks up large gasoline particles so the fuel atomizes better. the vortex intake inserts.

i add mystery oil every time i add gas to the tank one bottle ususally lasts for about 6 fills and my fuel system is spotless. everything looks lubed great and i have no combustion chamber wear. i recently looked at my valves and even on the exhaust side they are a nice golden brown color. my piston just by looking down the sparkplug hole is actually silver with a few spots of brown and this engine has 116K miles on it.

also it's spring so it's time for another oil change to 10-50. i'm already at 20-50 because the south texas heat is already here lol. 10-30 in the summer will fuckup your bearings badass like mine...my mainbearings went out not to long ago so i changed them out...i love not having to remove the engine or the crank to change out the mains.

Quote Originally Posted by DKJones96
    i've never noticed the sandtrap removal trick to work i think that's a more psychological boost is power because when i did that trick on my car it shifted harcher and my 0-60 time went up. my car doesn't like burning hot engine bay air.
    You didnt go far enough. After sand trap removal depanel the airbox. Cut a rectangular opening approx. 4x6 around the small stock hole. Then remove the locating tab from the end of the airbox. This allows you to rotate the airbox so the 4x6 opening is facing the wiring harness opening in the fender wall. It can be tricky keeping the airbox aligned while rotating but it can be done. Now your engine is sucking a mix of cool outside air with a bit of engine bay air. You will notice this mod.

HTH

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

yeah I didn't notice any power increase w/ removing my cats, in either one of my mk2s that I did that too.
    Now the airbox, I removed the sandtrap and cut holes all around it, and there was definitly a nice little boost in power, maybe like 2-5hp depending on how cold/dense the air is outside. But either way, it added a definable new tone to the engine. More of a deeper wailing sound when you open the throttle.
    When my clutch cylinder died on me yesterday I was actually on the way to Home Depot to scout around for some kind of metal tubing I could use for the intake. I also would suggest isolating the airbox somehow, to lessen the amount of engine bay air getting sucked in. I should be figuring this all out today when my car gets back on the road
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    -shirts, stickers, posters & more!-
    Hidden Content
    -more shirt styles, magnets, wallets, mugs and more!-

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    1984 L-type Auto - Bone stock & broken Hidden Content
    acquired 6/17

CelicaSupra.com Member
    What's a sandtrap?

Curvy snorkel tube from top of airbox to just above the radiator sorta

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dohc82
    Curvy snorkel tube from top of airbox to just above the radiator sorta
    I go it now.

i thought the sand trap was the box itself i get all kinds of weird shit in there. i had dead wasps in there once i was like wtf? then i saw the nest in that lil snorkel thing and was like damn those bitches they got what they deserved. i have a k&n filter on mine and am almost done with the mandrel intake(waiting for jb weld to cure) and i don't think it'll give me much extra...fucking stuffed cat lol. and for an engine bay air blocker i just used a freaggin chunk of sheetrock that goes from the a/c tubes to the hood when shup and prop it against the p/s pump and the radiator lol. and my snorkel goes behind the right side headlight...screw it. lol when i hollow out my cat i may actually get power above 4200 and it won't shift harshly making it break loose on wet roads going to second and tird gear...kinda scary going down the freeway and stomping it and when you get to 70 and it shifts to 3rd your rearend starts to take a life of it;s own lol

not to thread hijack or anything but would a clogged cat make my exhaust sound different between 40-45? After that it returns back to it's normal sound.
    Brian
    Hidden Content
    Currently Supra-less.

We've been shanghaied :!:

Gage, try a different shift point. If you're usually in third at 40-45, either run second out a little longer or upshift to fourth, and see if the noise persists. Methinks you'll find it's drivetrain/suspension/wheel/tire/cupholder related. Good luck.

Thread Information