Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Tstefan's 86

25K views 74 replies 15 participants last post by  tstefan 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, so I own a 84 supra that I bought to restore / customize, and after browsing this forum I have acquired may fine ideas. I have replaces the struts / shocks and springs and carpet but this is my first attempt at fabricating something.
Basically I stole this idea from here:
Mike's (Supersubs's) Big Boy Build
and after some prodding from George I decided to post my progress here.

Thanks to George, Mike and may others for putting up with all my questions.

The Goal is to build a custom sub-woofer box but if desired everything can go back to "stock".

I took out the back seat but left the centrer hinge then removed the carpeting from the back of the seats. Next i built a wood frame the will act as a stand and a shelf for the 2 amps that will power the system.

After all that I cut out the platform and all the parts to mount the sub's, then screwed all the parts together with wood glue to seal the gaps.
Here are all the parts mounted and screwed together.

Then i covered the entire thing with some fleece and stretched it till all the wrinkles came out

That's as far as i got so far, hopefully ill get around to ordering the fibreglass this week and have more updates soon.

See less See more
#5 ·
So I got the 5m out and have been working on getting all the needed bits over to the 6m, hopefully I'll have it in and running but this weekend. I'll post pics later as well

George there is no big turbo as this is just a small step to keep the car drivable while I work on the 7m bottom/ 5m top.

Baby steps :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
so one thing led to another and i ended up buying this:

a 86 MKII

The i parted out my '84, sold off the 6M and a bunch of other misc parts and trashed a bunch of others

The '86 MKII has way less rust and is in way better all around condition then the 84 was.

I did manage to keep all the new suspension that i had just put on my '84 so ill have to install that on this car now as well as replacing the factory stereo and speakers.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words,
I backed it our of my garage and took more pics for you guys - The car needs a bath in the worst way, but that will happen soon enough.

Body:

If the back end looks lower, its because i just finished installing the shocks, and rear lowering springs that i got from George :)

Inside:

The shifter is also new - a short shifter from George as well - i highly recommend one for anyone with a manual.

Motor:

I still have the front struts/springs, stereo, carpet and speakers to install and then it will probably stay this way for a bit, i want to drive it a bit before the end of summer.
Over the winter i can fix all the little things that need to be addressed and clean it up a lot better.

#15 · (Edited)
Been a bit busy, but trying to knock out some little things.

I replaced my door handles with ones from my 84/85 part outs, so it nice to have working door handles again instead of always reaching in the door to open it from the inside.

The 3rd light on mine was all broken up and altho i like what was done here 88T-3rd-Brake-Light-Installed-on-86-Wing its not really what i wanted so been working on putting LED lights inside the wing itself! Here is a teaser pic

Got lots of sanding / puttying /painting to do before the light is finished but this gives the general idea of what it will look like.

#16 · (Edited)
so small update.

This is what the sub woofer box looks like sitting in the car:

The amp shelves underneath:

I plan on putting some expanded metal over the amp openings to keep things and people away from them.

I'm not sure i will keep the current set-up, Im told that it looks like a "bat signal" which is a bonus, but I was thinking about turning the subs around (facing backwards) , moving them closer together and adding front facing 6X9's on the front outsides of the box, if that happens it wont be for a few months.

Also after a quick 5 hour (each way) trip i now have this, the Newest Addition to the car:

I really like the look of the hood but i still have a few figment issues to work out with it.
I also acquired a a LJM strut bar when i acquired the hood, but i don't have any pictures yet .

Thanks

#18 ·
OK, I had to Google "CHMSL" (Center High-Mount Stop Light) :)

I don't have any pics, I need to get better about that.
I knew I wanted the 3ed brake light in the spoiler, i have always liked the way it looked, so after looking taking apart the rear wing and doing some measurements i bought these LEDS:
LED Lights

and some 1/4" acrylic rods (in red also) from here:
Acrylic rod

I used a hand held Dremel tool with this bit:
561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit

I carefully measured, and remeasured where i wanted the lights to go. drilled some pilot holes and went to work with the dremel. I had to grind down the sides of the screw pillars so everything would fit the way i wanted. Once i had everything ready i mixed up some J-B WELD ClearWeld Epoxy and affixed the acrylic rod into the space i had routed out. I left the LED's in behind the rod to make sure it was a tight fit.

One of the things i learned about the acrylic is that if you scratch it you can just slightly heat it with a torch and it will melt just enough to smooth out again. I tested this a few times with some of the spare rods I got (you have to order 6 at a time). So now I'm in the process if sanding everything down smooth and filling in the spots where i removed too much material. After that ill smooth out the acrylic and use touch up paint to match the body color the best that i can around the acrylic.

In hindsight i should have either bought white LED's or Clear acrylic rods, it works just fine but would have been brighter without both parts being red. I can always change out the LED's later if i want to make it brighter, they are not glued in, just firmly pressed between the acrylic rod and screw towers. You could also use the clear acrylic rods, but I went with red as it seemed to blend into my car.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words!

I'm Glad I actually got something to offer - so may great builds going on, and i don't have near the skill of a lot of posters here.
At some point ill have to have a body shop paint the who car but for now it looks OK and works wonderfully.

Just saw this thread. That 6m looked familiar. Glad you got it running. Clean car you've got there. Nice work!
Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Rob,
Sadly the 6M was sold with a lot of my 84 parts. the guy wanted the original 5M, the 6M , and all my 7m-gte parts and i wanted the 86 (that i have now) so it worked out well for everyone.

Even though I LOVE the way the 5/6M motors look, with the parts being hard to come by i decided that IF i every go all out, it will be with a 2JZ-GTE. But for now I'm going to continue to clean up My '86 the best i can, little by little

Got this from Raptor today along with a cat back exhaust:

#27 · (Edited)
so after a few days of work it looks like this now:

I really like the new look - here is a close up of one of the tires:

The BBBK from raptor was actually easier to install then i expected. (thanks George)
Honestly, loosening the 30 year old brake lines was the hardest part.

Next year i think i will change to slotted and drilled rotors, but I'm sure this will be just fine for the summer.

I still have a few things to get finished, lie re-running some brake lines, installing an new master cylinder, some residual pressure valves, and a metering valve for the rears, as well as bleed the system.

but I'm pretty excited to try it out soon and get some miles on the care before the next project....

#29 ·
Not sure if you've looked into it yet, but there are a couple easy fixes for hood props for your cf hood. I did it the ghetto free way:
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...and-basic-mods&p=890977&viewfull=1#post890977

But you can also buy lighter duty ones that work well, eventually i'll do this too but i'm lazy and mine still works fine:
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...d-installed!&p=1017450&viewfull=1#post1017450

Your car is lookin great. I like how Santa appears to be saluting your shiny red sled in the garage. Can even make out your own reflection in the side too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.