Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

The JZGTE fan clutch Solution Thread

20K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Daves2JZGTE 
#1 · (Edited)
The JZGTE fan clutch Solution Thread

IF YOU HAVE A JZGE this is not for you this thread is only for JZGTE setups

Ok I have had my JZ MK2 for some time now and one of the last things that has been bothering me has bean my fan clutch setup. For the most part it works grate but the other day it was ~110F and I was stuck in traffic with the AC on. Wouldn’t you know it the car started to worm up. Building a JZ MK2 for Bob made me really think about this all over again. So this is what I have come up with. With some help from the inter web and some forum members.

First off I have been running a Toyota V8 fan clutch from a tundra with a 7M 10 blade fan. To get this setup to work I had to open up the clutch and add 40ml of 3000cst silicone oil (side note if you wont to get this stuff go to your hobby store its dirt cheap) and adjust the spring tension.

With this set up the clutch starts locked up and then relaxes but as I found when real hot it wouldn’t lock up 100%.

I will now show you the difference between my setup and a JZ fan clutch ( ge and gte use the same clutch) with a GTE and GE fan blade.

First off I placed the fans on a table just to see the difference.

7m 10 blade VS GTE #16360-46060

next
7m 10 blade VS GE #16360-46040

then I placed the fans on the clutches

7m 10 blade VS GTE #16360-46060
I placed a aluminum plate on the GTE to show that the face of the fan actually sticks out further then the blades

next
7m 10 blade VS GE #16360-46040

With this setup the face is almost ¼ inch closer to the motor. BUT the rear sits ¾ inch closer to the motor

My setup clearance of the table

JZ GE corresponding mark to show the difference of 3/4th inch

With the 7m V8 set up I have 1/4th inch clearance of the water neck.

So I have one of two things I can do. One is trim 3/4th inch off the back of the GE blade and be done. OR take off ½ inch making the GE blades about the same as the GTE blades 3.5 inch and then space out the fan off the clutch to make up the difference. I liked this ideal so that’s what I did.

GTE

GE

First I marked the blades

Then taped them for the cut

as you can see I now had no clearance off the water neck.

After cutting the blades I used 1/8th inch lock washers to space out the fan off the clutch and installed the setup.. Bob and so to me be now has 1/8th inch clearance off the neck and a added 1/8th inch of clearance from the radiator.

Im fine with the tight clearance on the backside since the fan will only pull away from the neck as the fan clutches up

This setup is quieter and moves more air with a lower fans speed do the blade angel of the GE/GTE fan VS the 7m 10 blade. You will now have a properly setup clutch to match your JZGTE MK2

See less See more
#2 ·
nice write up!

Now sell me your damn car. lol

Great work bruther-good contribution.

#4 ·
Great writeup Dave ! Overheating is not one of our biggest issues up here but it's nice to know what works.

question : Why not cut out a section of the waterneck to get the extra clearance for the fins ? A quick flick with the tig and you got more space = More blade = more air. Just a thought :)

#5 ·
This thread is for the anyone can do this mod. Not everyone has a tig in there garage!
I actually have a extra neck that im going to try to do just that when i have time to install this setup on my car. Looks like i have 3/4th inch clearance off the timing cover to the neck so if i cut out 5/8ths leaving me with 1/8th clearance off the neck on each side i should be rocken..

I will update this thread when i have proof BUT it will only be verified for a 2j not a 1j. i think a 1j actually has more room between the neck and cover!

#6 ·
ok, do you think i should bother with this? hottest it ever gets here is maybe 100deg f, though thats not very often. already got a 10 blade fan laying around. also, have you verified that this setup locks up fully in 110deg heat, or does it not matter since it moves so much more air? im sure a used ge clutch and blade will be cheap. this is from a supra correct? would say a gs300 or sc300 be the same?

#7 ·
Yes i think this is the way to go. the motor has less drag on it at all times. it hasn't be that hot and bobs AC isnt charged so i couldn't check but its a Supra clutch with a supra fan (na modified to be a GTE with correct spacing) So im confident it will clutch up like a supra should.

As for the GS SC GS is e fan but SC300 had the same fan/clutch as a supra GE. In short if i was a 2j GE or GTE in any car with a fan clutch they are the same but the fan you wont is from any 2jzGE

#8 ·
well i see gs300's and sc300's in the junkyards sometimes. havent been in ages though. need to go cause i need a ge water pipe, and i guess now the clutch and fan. maybe a gs compressor unless the fittings are the same for the aristo motor i have. i plan to eventually get the jim king jz ac kit to go with my swap.

#10 ·
Update side note. If you have the proper manual surpinteen tenchiner not the auto surpinteen (there is a big difference and if you have a auto on a manual car you could loose your belt on shifts) there is no room for a un cut GE blade even if you cut the water neck because the shock arm bracket will hit the fan so you have to cut the blades as outlined originally.

#11 · (Edited)
ok, what weight oil from the hobby store did you use on the 1uz fan clutch? and wouldnt a thicker weight cause it to lockup quicker? been doing some research and toyota has 3000, 6000, and 10000 weight silicone fluid. seems everything got the 3000 back in 75 except the celica which got 6000. maybe the 1uz clutch setup would have worked with a higher viscosity oil? im planning to try it as we never get over about 100f here. just wondering what weight i should try. i see anywhere from 500cst to like 30000cst for the shock oil. its like $4 a 2oz (59ml)bottle. im thinking of starting with 7000cst and go form there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.