Dropped the '82 1JZ off for paint today - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member 1982 Dragon's Avatar
    Ya B shapton is the guy you need... real good decal/print guy. Got some decals for my car off him as well. He use to do that stuff for a living he told me
    -Josh

1982 Terra Cotta P-Type - Sold and missed Hidden Content
    1987 Supra, 7MGTE 432WHP (New Toy)
    1993 Celica GTS (Daily Commuter)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I bought one from Bob S on these forums a few years back. I haven't installed it yet as I too am needing a paint job. Be sure to post pics when you get your car back from the body-shop!
    85 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE, Super Deep Red-Current
    85 Toyota Celica Supra, Dark Blue Metallic-Current
    85 Toyota Celica Supra, Super Silver Metallic-Gone but never forgotten

CelicaSupra.com Member

Yay!

Ok, got it back and it's already partially reassembled.

I'm quite pleased with the results, and they still have another cut and buff to do 30 days out. they forgot to put the decal on, and I still have some clips to wait on (and the new whiskers/belt trim - thanks Mark!), but at least I got one flare back on. Can't wait to get it all back together, and go for a drive, though now I really don't want to scratch it.

Couple of pics: https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/album.php?albumid=310
    Bob Moon
    Ultimate Horsepower, LLC
    AZ
    '82 Supra 1JZ-GTE project
    12A powered trail buggy
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    mmm, fresh paint, very nice!
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Thanks! I kept looking at your sig pic while I was waiting, anticipating the results. I've been tempted to not put the decal back on the hatch, but it just seems like something is missing without it. It'll go back on.
    Bob Moon
    Ultimate Horsepower, LLC
    AZ
    12A powered trail buggy
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    I agree the rear decal dresses it up nice, tho I understand wanting to run incognito and badgeless, esp. when you've got a sleeper 1jz-gte

I kinda like George's XX decals http://blog.raptorracing.com/2010/10...atch-stickers/
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

That paint job looks awesome! Can't wait to see it all put back together. There is not much better than seeing a deserving MK2 Supra get a fresh paint job.
    85 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE, Super Deep Red-Current
    85 Toyota Celica Supra, Dark Blue Metallic-Current
    85 Toyota Celica Supra, Super Silver Metallic-Gone but never forgotten

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Thanks! Updated my photo album with another shot, with the flares on. Also painted and installed the side window trim and wipers (all 3). Need to mask/paint the top windshield trim and rear window trim, get/install the belt molding, and get/install the new whiskers, and she's basically done! Well, then I have to make the new airdam to integrate the intercooler scoop. Then it's on to the interior... Yep, always something to do!
    Bob Moon
    Ultimate Horsepower, LLC
    AZ
    12A powered trail buggy
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Mmmmm, the paint job does look good, like you could jump right in!
    No Supras. Always looking.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Ok, with the beast all back together and running somewhat better, I got around to figuring out why I only had heat for about 10 seconds when turning the heater on. turns out, the "universal" heater valve I used to replace the leaking stock one closes when vac is applied. Well, the Sup's opens when vac is applied, so the new one had no vac most of the time, so it heated the core up when I didn't want it heated. Then, it closed the flow off when I wanted the core heated.

Solution: to options, one of which was to find a heater valve that opens when vac is applied. I tried a few local stores, and the guys didn't know what to give me, so I went with option 2: I wired a SPDT relay into the VSV so that it is energized when the heater circuit is open, and is open when the heater circuit is grounded. Cut both the yellow and yellow/red wires to the VSV. The yellow wire coming from the harness is always hot, and goes to the gauge fuse. That wire supplies power to the relay coil and the center pin of the relay (so it's providing + when the relay's coil is off). The yellow wire going to the VSV gets hooked up to the relay wire that is normally contacting the center pin when the coil is off. The relay coil negative goes to the yellow/red wire going to the harness, and the yellow/red wire going to the VSV is grounded. Voila! Works like a charm.

It may seem a bit confusing to read, but if you happen to be in the same situation and study it a bit, you'll get it. Otherwise, shoot me a message and I'll try to clarify it.

So now it's running, the power steering pump no longer leaks (bad rebuilder experience...), it doesn't miss nearly as badly under boost as it did, and I have working A/C and heat. I'm a happy camper for now. Until I change my clutch, which requires me to pull the engine again.... Ugh.
    Bob Moon
    Ultimate Horsepower, LLC
    AZ
    12A powered trail buggy
    Hidden Content

Thread Information