TurboMini's MKIV Supra Auto to R154 conversion.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member TurboMini's Avatar

TurboMini's MKIV Supra Auto to R154 conversion.

Well I knew when I bought my MKIV I would need to convert it to a manual gearbox. I have a number of car projects on the go and only one day off each week so it takes a while to get around to some of these things. Recently a friend of mine offered me a free R154 if I pulled it myself, so I decided it was time to do the conversion. I did some reading on the world wide web and made up a list of the parts I needed to make it happen. I ordered all the bits from driftmotion.com and the prices were great. I'm just waiting a for a few bits from Marlin crawler.

I put my LandCruiser back together last week finally so I could pull it out of the shop and put the Supra in. By the way, I love the 3B diesel in my LandCruiser, it hasn't been run in 6 months. I bumped the key and it instantly came to life. I missed the rattle of the engine and the whir of the turbo.

The first thing I did is pull the rubber grommet out of the fire wall and the pre cut sections of sound deadening that covered the areas where the pedal box and master cylinder mount. I drilled the indicated holes in the firewall for the master cylinder studs.

The next thing I did is modify a MKIII Supra LHD clutch pedal box to work with a MKIV LHD clutch master cylinder and to mount to stock locations in the MKIV body. I also had to relocate the clutch start switch in the pedal box so it didn't hit the support for the steering column under the dash. I had to heat up and bend both the clutch pedal and brake pedal to reposition them where I want them. Then I welded on the small pedal plates back on both the clutch and brake pedals and then slipped the rubber pads back on.

I made a small spacer from aluminum to space the master cylinder slightly forward so the cap doesn't touch the rubber seal at the back of the hood.

Next it was time to pull the slush box out and related bits.

I had to swap bell housings. The one on the left is for mating a 1JZ/2JZ to a R154, the one on the right is a 7M to R154.

1984 Toyota Supra (118,000kms)
    Other Current rides: 93 TT Supra, 86 BJ70 Turbo, 05 CDi Smart, 67 Mini Traveller (B16A), 70 Mini Traveller, 96 Miata,69 CB450
    Previous Toyotas:77 Rotarolla (13B powered Corolla), 89 4Runner, 83 Tercedes, 87 Hilux, 81 Hilux
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member 1982 Dragon's Avatar
    Wow!!!!!!! Nice car, real clean TT.
    I want one sooo bad. Real inspiration. The AT are much cheaper, I wish you the best converting it. Maybe someday I will do the same haha.
    -Josh

1982 Terra Cotta P-Type - Sold and missed Hidden Content
    1987 Supra, 7MGTE 432WHP (New Toy)
    1993 Celica GTS (Daily Commuter)

The next challenge was that the shifter needed to be moved back to fit through the shifter hole in the floor. I don't mind cutting in to almost any car, but not my old Toyotas. So I test fit the gearbox to see how much it needed to be lengthened. I went with 155mm. So next was to get busy with the TIG and some tools of destruction. I made up some jigs and the seamed to work. When I put things back together, the lengthened shifter housing and internal linkage worked well together and it felt just the same as it did in it's original configuration. Please excuse the welds, the dirty oily cast aluminum was not to excited about the process. But I was when I put the gearbox back in the car and the shifter socket was positioned where it should be in the car. Then I had to modify the shifter lever to be positioned properly and not hit the side of the console or the parking brake handle. I had to open up the hole in the console to shift into 5th and reverse. I'll sort out a shifter boot at a later date.

A proper shifter and the right number of pedals! Now I spend my spare time making engine noises and pretending to drive it.

Other Current rides: 93 TT Supra, 86 BJ70 Turbo, 05 CDi Smart, 67 Mini Traveller (B16A), 70 Mini Traveller, 96 Miata,69 CB450
    Previous Toyotas:77 Rotarolla (13B powered Corolla), 89 4Runner, 83 Tercedes, 87 Hilux, 81 Hilux
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 Dragon View Post
    Wow!!!!!!! Nice car, real clean TT.
    I want one sooo bad. Real inspiration. The AT are much cheaper, I wish you the best converting it. Maybe someday I will do the same haha.
    Thanks. Dragon. The autos definitely are cheaper, and I didn't hate the auto as much as I thought I would, it had enough power that it was still plenty of fun. Stay positive and you will end up with one too.
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member 1982 Dragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboMini View Post
    Thanks. Dragon. The autos definitely are cheaper, and I didn't hate the auto as much as I thought I would, it had enough power that it was still plenty of fun. Stay positive and you will end up with one too.
    Haha nice. Yea your rig is looking good. You probably can't even tell it was an auto, everything is lined up nice.
    Cool JDM car... those are even cheaper. Are they much of a headache doing the paper work and stuff to register/insure them?
    I might grab a JDM some day, cheaper car. But I want the TT for sure
    -Josh

1982 Terra Cotta P-Type - Sold and missed Hidden Content
    1987 Supra, 7MGTE 432WHP (New Toy)
    1993 Celica GTS (Daily Commuter)

Paper work wasn't too big a deal. It's definitely worth the savings over buying a LHD car.
    Hidden Content

that is a modded shifter well done !
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    great job.

nice work! i fully understand why you went this route over swapping in a v160...those things are expensive! lol

Frankly I would have just bought the parts from Toyota to do it. Moving to other cars section...

Thread Information