The "Official" Trim Code/Pictures Thread

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The "Official" Trim Code/Pictures Thread

All,

Finally, after several years of procrastination :banme: I have finally gotten around to writing up the Trim Code list for the US Spec 79 - 86 MKI & MKII's. Like the Paint Code information that I have in another thread, I was able to gather this information from many visits to junkyards & writing down the information from the firewall dataplates, or from looking at other dataplates from Supras that are still running. Along w/ contacting various members here on the CS Forums & the MKII Yahoo list.

During my research, I've discovered several things: 1. For the different trim colors, the 3rd digit tends to always be the same number, based on the color shade. Most of the time, it was just the first 2 letters/digits that changed, and sometimes the last digit changed. 2. Not all countries used the 4 digit code format for the trim code (example: the UK RHD MKII's only had 3 digits). 3. Some trim models were not available after certain years (example: L-Type's were not available in Canada after 1983, the same for the US after 1985), and certain colors/material were not available in certain countries (examples: The Maroon interiors were not available on the Super Deep Red (Royal Red) MKII's in Canada, only the Black/Gray. And the Blue Leather P-Type interiors were not available in Canada at all).

If anybody has any pictures of the different interior scheme's that they would like to add, please do so!!! ESPECIALLY CLOSE UP pictures of the Cloth interiors & the different seat patterns.

So here is the list. If anybody sees any mistakes, please reply so that I can correct them. Otherwise, happy reading!!

1979:

YW21 = Black Cloth
    LJ21 = Black Vinyl*

YW31 = Maroon Cloth
    LJ31 = Maroon Vinyl*

YW41 = Beige Cloth
    LJ41 = Beige Vinyl*

YW81 = Blue Cloth
    LJ81 = Blue Vinyl*

* The 1979 MKI's are the only year where the seat material was actually in Vinyl, rather than in Leather. This is based on sightings in junkyards over the years & looking at the material surface, along with the material underneath. Definitely manmade, not natural. The 1979 US Sales Brochure also mentions vinyl as well.

1980:

YW25 = Black Cloth

YW35 = Maroon Cloth

YW45 = Beige Cloth
    LK45 = Beige Leather*

YW85 = Blue Cloth

* According to the 1980 Sales Brochure, the Leather interior (REAL leather, not vinyl) was only available in this color. To date, I have not see any other colors available in Leather in 80 MKI's.

1981:

HB25 = Black/Gray Cloth*
    LN25 = Black/Gray Leather**

HB35 = Maroon Cloth
    LN35 = Maroon Leather

HB45 = Beige Cloth
    LN45 = Beige Leather

HB85 = Blue Cloth***

* Black/Gray is a name that I give to this interior, because the seats & parts of the door trim are Gray (which is what everyone notices right away most of the time), but the rest of the interior is Black. Toyota officially calls this interior Black. Thus this can be confusing at times.

** I am still trying to determine if this interior does exist. This is based on a Test Drive Comparison article found in the February 1982 issue of Motor Trend & they were comparing a 1981 Performance Package MKI, and a 1982 P-Type MKII. The MKI had Leather, but the interior picture was in B&W. Both the Black/Gray, and the Beige interiors were available on the Code 6A5 Black Metallic Clearcoat 81's, so I'm still trying to verify this.

*** Not available in Leather & I have not seen any examples to this day.

1982:

FX21 = Black Cloth, P-Type
    FW21 = Black Cloth, L-Type
    LF21 = Black Leather, L-Type

FX31 = Terra Cotta Cloth, P-Type
    FW31 = Terra Cotta Cloth, L-Type
    LF31 = Terra Cotta Leather, L-Type

FX81 = Blue Cloth, P-Type
    FW81 = Blue Cloth, L-Type*

* Not available in Leather & have not seen any examples to this day.

1983:

FX21 = Black Cloth, P-Type
    LM21 = Black Leather, P-Type*
    GL21 = Black Cloth, L-Type
    LF21 = Black Leather, L-Type

FX31 = Terra Cotta Cloth, P-Type
    GL31 = Terra Cotta Cloth, L-Type
    LF31 = Terra Cotta Leather, L-Type

FX81 = Blue Cloth, P-Type
    GL81 = Blue Cloth, L-Type**

* 1983 was the ONLY year that Black Leather was available on the seating surfaces & parts of the door trim. 1984 - 1986, the seat/door trim color changed to Gray. Thus this is rarest trim code/material on all of the MKII's to date.

** Not available in Leather & have not seen any examples to this day

(FYI. Several years ago one evening while myself & a friend were in downtown Portland, Oregon, we spotted a Terra Cotta P-Type that had what appeared to be a Leather interior. The seatbacks had the usual "pleats" that are unique to a P-Type Leather interior. Since then, I have not seen another one to this day, thus I'm trying to confirm if this trim really did exist).

1984:

YS24 = Black/Gray Cloth, P-Type
    LG24 = Black/Gray Leather, P-Type
    YT24 = Black/Gray Cloth, L-Type
    LF24 = Black/Gray Leather, L-Type*

YS34 = Maroon Cloth, P-Type
    LG34 = Maroon Leather, P-Type
    YT34 = Maroon Cloth, L-Type
    LF34 = Maroon Leather, L-Type*

YS84 = Blue Cloth, P-Type
    YT84 = Blue Cloth, L-Type**

* This was the last year that Leather was available for the L-Type interior, this trim was discontinued in 85 & was only available in Cloth.

** Not available in Leather

1985/1986:

GR26 = Black/Gray Cloth, P-Type
    LG26 = Black/Gray Leather, P-Type
    GQ26 = Black/Gray Cloth, L-Type (85)

GR36 = Maroon Cloth, P-Type
    LG36 = Maroon Leather, P-Type
    GQ36 = Maroon Cloth, L-Type (85)

GR86 = Blue Cloth, P-Type
    LG86 = Blue Leather, P-Type*
    GQ86 = Blue Cloth, L-Type (85)

(The L-Type MKII Supras were discontinued after the 85 model year. This was one of the "minimal" changes that Toyota was doing, in anticipation that the MKIII would soon be ready, thus only the P-Type was carried over to 1986 for only approx 4 - 5 months. Unfortunately, the MKIII was not available for sale until February of 1986).

* 1985 was the first year that Blue Leather for the P-Type MKII's became available, according to my 1985 Toyota Press Release Kit. This color/material was also carried over to 86 as well

Thanks for reading!!!!

Here are examples of several interiors:

LF31
    1982 L-Type - Terra Cotta Leather

The Front Seat

YT84
    1984 L-Type - Blue Cloth (inside a P-Type MKII).

LG26
    1985 P-Type - Black/Gray Leather (Canadian Spec).

GR86
    1985 P-Type - Blue Cloth (Europe Spec, France. Notice the shoulder mount rear seatbelts).

YS84
    1984 P-Type - Blue Cloth (Australia Spec. UHF radio is not a standard safety feature, but the shoulder belts are.)

LG36
    1985 P-Type - Maroon Leather

The front seat..

HB25
    1981 MKI - Black/Gray Cloth

The front seat..

HB35
    1981 MKI - Maroon Cloth

FX31
    1982 P-Type - Terra Cotta Cloth (yes the car was in a junkyard, but the seats were clean... :lol:

Close-up of the seat pattern.

LG34
    1984 P-Type - Maroon Leather (I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the LG34 & LG36 Maroon Leather's... Anyone??? Having seen both in person, the color shades are the same..)

The backseat..

LM21
    1983 P-Type - Black Leather

FX21
    1982 P-Type - Black Cloth

YS24
    1984 P-Type - Black/Gray Cloth

FW31
    1982 L-Type - Terra Cotta Cloth (color is a bit faded, so this is not the true color).

FW81
    1982 L-Type - Blue Cloth

GL21
    1983 L-Type - Black Cloth

The Front Seat...

GR36
    1985 P-Type - Maroon Cloth

The Front Seat...

FX81
    1982 - 1983 P-Type - Blue Cloth

LF21
    1982 - 1983 L-Type - Black Leather

LF24
    1984 L-Type - Black/Gray Leather
    Drivers seat...

Passenger seat....

GR26
    1985 P-Type - Black/Gray Cloth

YW41
    1979 MKI - Beige Cloth

GQ26
    1985 L-Type - Black/Gray Cloth

The Front Seats...

LG86
    1985 P-Type - Blue Leather

Last edited by CJSREDPRA; 04-25-2006 at 06:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Re: The "Official" Trim Code/Pictures Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CJSREDPRA
    If anybody has any pictures of the different interior scheme's that they would like to add, please do so!!! ESPECIALLY CLOSE UP pictures of the Cloth interiors & the different seat patterns.
    I'll email you a set of pics of my newest black leather.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSREDPRA
    * 1983 was the ONLY year that Black Leather was available on the seating surfaces & parts of the door trim. 1984 - 1986, the seat/door trim color changed to Gray. Thus this is rarest trim code/material on all of the MKII's to date.
    You've got to be kidding me.... I have purchased 3 good cars and I cant find one WITHOUT the black leather. So... since its soooo rare, how much would you pay for a full one? I'm so sick of black leather *lies*.

--BillyM

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    You've been lucky billy boy, that is all. I've only ever seen one oem black leather interior.

Chris, a couple mistakes\tweaks to make.

1. Might be worth mentioning that that pic of the blue velour ltype interior is from a Ptype car. Bob's car is some werid case where the original owner requested a ptype with an ltype interior.

2. I'm not sure about the no maroon interior in 85 SDRs thing. I'll have to ask Dean to check his Vin # to see if his car might be a US import. I know of 4 SDRs in town with Maroon cloth or leather interiors. 2 of them are US imports for sure, not sure about Deans or the one with the leather. Dean might remember about that one too (the guy we bought the 82 from). I have the 85 cdn brochure as well, so I can check that again too.

3. Your missing codes for the funky rare red velour interiors that the 85 ltypes had available. I've seen too in the US on ebay auctions now. They're listed in my 85 US brochure too I belive.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Actually on that note it could be argued that the red velour interiors are the most rare as 85 SDR ltypes are probably rarer then 83 black ptypes with leather. I can't think of a single person on this forum that has this interior and I've never seen it in person myself.

Seamus,

1. Yeah, I think I'll put in a little footnote about this, since this is a oddball interior. It has been mentioned in the past that "some" 84 P-Type's had the L-Type interiors. To this day, I still have no clue as to what Toyota was thinking here. Very odd. Years ago, I did get to test drive a 84 Deep Maroon P-Type car, that had the Maroon Leather L-Type interior (and of course, no hatch sunshade). When I first saw it, I was wondering why the wing was missing. Now THIS was a oddball car to the untrained eye.

2. The reference to the "Black/Gray interiors only came on Canadian SDR's", comes from my .pdf copy of the Canadian 85 Sales Brochure that ArtM sent me last year. The color specs in the back of the brochure says that SDR (or Royal Red) only got the Black/Gray interiors. So... If the 85 Canadian Brochure is actually wrong in this case, LMK & I'll put a disclaimer in there!!

3. That funky red velour that came on the 85 L-Type's??? It "looks" red (at least the seats do), but if you look at the dashboard..... Yep!!!! Maroon!!!!! Remember our buddy "JOE" from the Yahoo list (TOYOTA455 something something), who had a SDR 85 L-Type that he kept messing around with & he eventually traded it in for a 88 MKIII??? One day I asked him for his Trim Code!!!! GQ36!!! And I do have it listed!!! The number "36" matches up w/ the Maroon P-Type interiors for Leather & Cloth, so I know this is correct!!

Keep em coming guys!!!! This is fun!!!!

Geez Billy!!!!

I really have no idea what to tell you in this case!!!! 3 in a row??? I have seen pictures of them, but I've only seen ONE actual set of the Black Leather P-Type seats, and that was at Nix99. I still have not seen them in a actual 83 P-Type yet (the car that I lost the Trim Code to, still had the Black Leather door panels, but the seats were replaced by 84 Black/Gray Cloth seats).

As to what to pay for them??? No rips or tears??? Slightly more than a set of good Black/Gray, Maroon or Blue Leather seats, I don't know of a exact price. Up here in the PacNW, they are hard to find!!!

I hit a local wrecker this weekend and they had 3 new mk2s. One was a very rare beast, and it pokes a hole in one of your theories Chris. It was an 83 white ltype with, a leather ltype terra cotta interior. And without a doubt, the seats were real leather. I could even get you a sample if you don't belive me, but I think I know the differnce between leather and vinyl :wink:

is the leather in the mark 2's real leather or the stuff my $50(CAD mind you) 'leather coat' is made of?
    Supra Rehabilitator.
    Black 86 with 7M-GTE/W58/3.58/TrueTrac, 300whp, [email protected] Now on MS3X.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Tire Shredder Hidden Content
    "surprise! this one runs 11s biatch"

its the real thing and its the best quality leather any supra has gotten (not sure about mk1 supra leather). Every subsequent generation of supra has gotten crappier leather. The leather mk2 seats also used very little vinyl and had a fairly complix, difficult to reproduce pattern

Can you send me pics, or post some pics??? Of both the top side & bottom side???

I had a funny feeling that the 83 L-Type Leather was kinda borderline, but since it had been awhile since I had seen one in a junkyard, I was going on memory. I'm pretty certain that the 82 L-Type was vinyl.

Thanks!!! (Looks like I may be doing more editing again... Hrmm..).

The P-Type seats are real leather. I know the 84 L-Type Leather is real, 82 is not. Looks like I get to see for sure on the 83's.

Thread Information