6MGE thread (JDM inside) - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    anyone got a pic of where the 6m stamp is on that timing cover? ive got lots of covers to go through to find the original one from my 86.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Not off hand, but its on the outside of the case near the hole. Its completely covered when the crank pulley is installed.

Haha, yeah we did the exact same thing when we first discovered that 6m stamping too. "We got a 6m!!" Check the block, "aawwwww".

Thought it was a fluke at first, that the factory just used the wrong part on that motor or that someone had replaced the cover, then when I built my 6m I went through all the trouble of removing that same cover from the car I had originally discovered it on, then noticed my 86's original motor had it too when I got home lol.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Ok, maybe I do...
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Ok i got information in first post updated... I think I got all of it. Let me know if I missed anything
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    -shirts, stickers, posters & more!-
    Hidden Content
    -more shirt styles, magnets, wallets, mugs and more!-

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    1984 L-type Auto - Bone stock & broken Hidden Content
    acquired 6/17

I know a lot of members (like myself) will probably have questions as to how to run a 6M with 5M components, should definitely post quick links or even do a quick how to on here.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    you forgot to post the compressor clutch info i posted so you can use a 5mge compressor with a 7m damper.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

Done. Sorry about that William.

CelicaSupra.com Member fatpanda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Frakenmotor: Ugh, don't use the 7m timing sprocket or oil seal, use the 5m ones! This commonly posted misinformation screwed me when I built my motor. The 5m sprocket works just fine on the 6m crank, and puts the timing belt and crank pulley right where it needs to be with the 5m inner timing cover. The diameter of the insert of the 5m sprocket is different then that of the 6m or 7m sprocket, you will end up with a giant oil leak if you use the wrong seal. The 7m & 6m crank pullies both work just fine with the 5m sprocket. The 6m timing sprocket is unique to the 6m, it has the length of the 5m sprocket with the insert diameter of the 7m sprocket and requires the 7m oil seal.
    I ran into this problem last year while changing my timing belt.

One of my 6m timing sprocket's belt guide fell off during removal. I needed a replacement so I had my machining friend shorten a 7m timing sprocket. The photos below is a length comparison between a 7m timing sprocket (LEFT) and a 6m timing sprocket (RIGHT).

If you ever need a 6m timing sprocket, buy a 7m timing sprocket, have a machine shop shorten it and install the sprocket with 7m oil seal.
    Matt
    1985 Super White 6MGE 5-speed

Er, maybe I am reading that wrong but from what I got out of it is that you CAN use a 5M sprocket on a 6M crank.....

Frakenmotor: Ugh, don't use the 7m timing sprocket or oil seal, use the 5m ones! This commonly posted misinformation screwed me when I built my motor. The 5m sprocket works just fine on the 6m crank, and puts the timing belt and crank pulley right where it needs to be with the 5m inner timing cover. The diameter of the insert of the 5m sprocket is different then that of the 6m or 7m sprocket, you will end up with a giant oil leak if you use the wrong seal. The 7m & 6m crank pullies both work just fine with the 5m sprocket. The 6m timing sprocket is unique to the 6m, it has the length of the 5m sprocket with the insert diameter of the 7m sprocket and requires the 7m oil seal.

Looks to me like you would use a 5M sprocket along with a 5M front main seal and all is well? Why bother having a 7M sprocket machined?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    -shirts, stickers, posters & more!-
    Hidden Content
    -more shirt styles, magnets, wallets, mugs and more!-

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    1984 L-type Auto - Bone stock & broken Hidden Content
    acquired 6/17

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Er, maybe I am reading that wrong but from what I got out of it is that you CAN use a 5M sprocket on a 6M crank.....

Looks to me like you would use a 5M sprocket along with a 5M front main seal and all is well? Why bother having a 7M sprocket machined?
    Yes, 5M sprocket works. It really depends on what harmonic balancer you use. The 5M has the longer snout on the back of the harmonic balancer that fits inside of the 5M crank timing sprocket. The true 6M and 7M/7MGTE harmonic balancer has a very short stub on the back, and it butts up to the flat outer surface of the timing sprocket. I think to use a 5M crank timing sprocket with a 6M or 7M harmonic balancer, a spacer would have to be machined to fit inside and between the 5M timing cog and the harmonic balancer.
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

Thread Information