6MGE thread (JDM inside) - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member fatpanda's Avatar
    ^^^This. The 6m has the short stub on the harmonic balancer and wouldn't work with the 5m timing sprocket. Definitely not a direct fit.

The 7m timing sprockets are readily available from Toyota. For me, it was easier to have the 7m timing sprocket shorten to the 6m timing sprocket's height instead of buying a 5m timing sprocket and machining an additional spacer.

I suppose if you have a spare 5m timing sprocket lying around you could try the spacer route.
    Last edited by fatpanda; 12-24-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixing English.
    Matt
    1985 Super White 6MGE 5-speed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Incorrect. I'm running the 5m sprocket on my 6m crank with a 7m crank pulley, it all works perfectly. However, I can't say for sure if I ever test fitted my 6mge crank pulley, but I'm guessing it would fit exactly the same (and I probably did test fit it, I just don't remember for sure).

You guys are correct about the design differences between the sprockets, I too was thinking that it was going to be a problem. But the 7m pulley snout was bigger then the hole in the 5m sprocket so it butted up against it just fine. Approx 15,000kms on this motor and countless autoxes and no issues in that department.

Also FYI, next time that outer ring on a sprocket falls off, you can actually repair it. If you look at how they're built, the two pieces are held together by mushroomed out sections of the sprocket. If you pop the ring back on, and attack the sprocket with a wide flat bottomed punch and hammer, you can mushroom out the sprocket some more untill it fits as good it did originally. If all else fails, weld it on with a couple spot welds.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member fatpanda's Avatar
    That's good to know. Given that the 7m and 6m crank pulley have the same back end, we can probably assume the 6m crank will work as well. When you do change the belt and seals let us know how the setup held up.

The outer ring on my timing sprocket had worn down way too much to consider spot welding it back together.
    Matt
    1985 Super White 6MGE 5-speed

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member bubblleboi's Avatar
    I got a little confused on the timing sprocket explanations...

If one has 6M/7M crank & 6M crank pulley, use either the 6M timing sprocket OR use a 7M timing sprocket machined down to the length of a 5M AND use a 7M front main seal?

If one has 6M/7M crank & 7M crank pulley:
    1. Use 5M timing sprocket and 7M front main seal
    2. Do NOT use 7M timing sprocket?

Anyone happen to have the measurements for the length of a 5M timing sprocket should one decide to machine down their 7M timing sprocket?

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblleboi View Post
    I got a little confused on the timing sprocket explanations...

If one has 6M/7M crank & 6M crank pulley, use either the 6M timing sprocket OR use a 7M timing sprocket machined down to the length of a 5M AND use a 7M front main seal?

If one has 6M/7M crank & 7M crank pulley:
    1. Use 5M timing sprocket and 7M front main seal
    2. Do NOT use 7M timing sprocket?

Anyone happen to have the measurements for the length of a 5M timing sprocket should one decide to machine down their 7M timing sprocket?
    The 5M timing sprocket will work with ANY crank pulley, and just use the 5M front crank seal. The simplicity is the beauty of it.
    You use the 6M or 7M crank timing sprocket if that is all you have. It takes the larger crank seal. The 7M sprocket has to be shortened, while the 6M one does not.

I agree, the sprocket length measurement would be nice to have in a thread. This way if someone only has a 7M sprocket, they can have it machined without having a 5M sprocket to compare it to.
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I see pretty much everybody saying use a 7m block. Could a 5m with a 7m crank and rods work? If so ill just use my 5m block. And I can use the 5m crank pulley, as long as I use the 5m sprocket and 5m seal, correct? Confusion kicked in...
    If at first you don't succeed, call an air strike!

1984 P Type 5MGE 5 spd, just now getting to the restoration/modification process.

CelicaSupra.com Member CelicaDrifts's Avatar
    It will be obvious when you get there. It's really best if you have both 5m and 7m engines complete. Or at least a complete 7m bottom end.
    1984 Celica Supra - black - sunroof - 1uz project.
    1987 Suzuki Samurai - long wheel base - flat deck project - fully locked chromolly axles w/ 3 inch lift

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    No, the 5m pulley doesn't fit the 7m crank. It can be machined to fit, but it doesn't really leave a lot of material, the 7m pulley is a better route.

5m block doesn't have reliefs for the 7m rods (longer stroke), but they can be cut in.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    So machining the block is required. I was informed that only the front was needed to be machined to fit the snout of the 7m crank.
    If at first you don't succeed, call an air strike!

1984 P Type 5MGE 5 spd, just now getting to the restoration/modification process.

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    Maybe, I think it depends what year the block is. Late 84-up may not need to be clearanced for the rods, because that is when the 6M first went into production. I think July is the month of the switchover to the new block. 84 is a confusing year to own (I had one!).

83CelWa put a 6M crank/rods/shaft into his overbored 5M block, so I know it can be done. With the 6M crank pulley and 5M externals, it looks just like a 5MGE!

The front inner lower timing case needs the crankshaft hole enlarged a little for the crank snout to fit through (not the part where the seal presses in though). It doesn't need to be enlarged by much. The front of the block is left alone.

I know you said you have an 84, so it depends what month the engine was made. Also, if your car has a 5 speed (originally) then it has the higher compression pistons and D-shaped intake runners also known as the performance package. If it was automatic, then the engine will have the lower compression pistons and round-port intake runners (like 82-83 engines). The electronics all stayed the same for 84.
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

Thread Information