Don's Carbon Fiber Hood Ordering Info - Page 21

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    So I can't find those metal whiskers, I'll leave it for another time. I tried a set of brand new aftermarket hood support struts (strong arm brand) and they work, but tend to 'bulge' the hoold up a bit when it is all the way closed. I'm going to swap them out for the used Toyota ones on Tara's white car, since they only *barely* hold up the factory hood, and should be perfect.

I'm guessing the best bet would be a set of junkyard supports, since the Toyota ones seem to wear out to a point and then stay pretty constant from there (barely able to hold up the weight of the metal hood)
    '84 P-type, 5spd, Super red, black/grey leather - 2JZGTE swap, Precision 6262 on cast manifold, ECUmaster black with 875cc/min injectors, 465 WHP at 17 psi, built R154 with OS Giken twin plate, one piece driveshaft with 1310 joints, Truetrac with 3.73 R&P, 450 lb/in front coilovers, 300lb/in rear springs, Image BBM wheels 17x8 and 18x10, 4 corner BBK, AGX shocks, Whiteline bars, poly bushings, T3 GTX2 front control and steering arms etc. etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Good information! I know there must be other aftermarket hood supports available of varying gas pressure, maybe someone can source a good one. I know my son's Subaru has an aluminum hood, very light for a stock hood, and he bought aftermarket struts for the hood.

Either that or raid the pick n pulls for all the old supra/celica pneumatic strut supports!

Don L.

I can confirm that stock Supra hood struts that no longer support the OEM hoood, will STILL bow the cf hood. I tried this and had to take mine off.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    -shirts, stickers, posters & more!-
    Hidden Content
    -more shirt styles, magnets, wallets, mugs and more!-

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    1984 L-type Auto - Bone stock & broken Hidden Content
    acquired 6/17

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Here is a previously posted option. Unless I find a better solution, this will be my method.

Any input on weather or not to use the metal rear 'whiskers'? I can't find mine or the screws that hold them.. Dunno if it is worth it to source a set with fasteners.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, Super red, black/grey leather - 2JZGTE swap, Precision 6262 on cast manifold, ECUmaster black with 875cc/min injectors, 465 WHP at 17 psi, built R154 with OS Giken twin plate, one piece driveshaft with 1310 joints, Truetrac with 3.73 R&P, 450 lb/in front coilovers, 300lb/in rear springs, Image BBM wheels 17x8 and 18x10, 4 corner BBK, AGX shocks, Whiteline bars, poly bushings, T3 GTX2 front control and steering arms etc. etc.

Found this place while looking around online:
    http://www.strutwise.com/index.php

Might be a good source for new/rebuilt struts with a small load rating, to keep from bowing the hood. I'm going to contact them this summer and send them a pair of worn out Toyota struts to see what they can do. They can go as low as 13 lbs per strut.

I'm going to use a scale to see how much force is required on each side where the gas struts attach to the hood, to keep it open and go from there.

CelicaSupra.com Member Lee_MA61's Avatar
    Can we still get in on this price? I know it's 6 months out, just want to ask prior to ordering one direct from them.

Thanks,
    Leon
    Random House Racing
    -1984 Toyota, Celica Supra P-Type Super Red (2JZ-GTE + 74mm) JZA61 Hidden Content
    -2010 GMC, Sierra 2500HD Imperial Blue Metallic (L96)

My group deal is over, but you can contact George at Raptor Racing as he is forming the next group buy.

Don L.

Has everyone got their hoods ?? Hey George, did you get your shipment finally? David H. any resolution yet on the shipping damage claim?

I've run a few autoxs with my CF hood, no worries about it staying on for that, but at freeway speeds (70-75 mph), I think it would be best to have additional hood latches. I definitely can see the CF hood vibrating a bit at freeway speeds, especially the rear edge of the hood, close to the windshield.

I'm running a turbo blanket now, but the days I drove the car around with the turbo blanket the CF hood seemed to tolerate the turbo heat ok, no signs of damage. Still, I felt better either with a turbo blanket or making a heat shield of some sort between the turbo and the hood. Easier to just buy the turbo blanket (DEI, titanium).

Don L.

CelicaSupra.com Member discoelk's Avatar
    No resolution on my hood yet Don. I'll keep everyone posted.
    David H
    85 P, LS6/R154/3.58/TrueTrac etc

Thread Information