[Gauging Interest] MK2 Reproduction Rubber Hatch GLASS Seals - Page 4

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for Reproduction Hatch Glass Seals

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Honestly....best case scenario the group buy will start early July. It's hard for me to say as we first need to make sure it fits perfectly, then it goes into production, gets shipped to me and I package and re-ship.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member canadian_psyko's Avatar
    I'm in.
    Cam

Daily: IS300

I will gladly purchase one when available.
    85 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE, Super Deep Red-Current
    85 Toyota Celica Supra, Dark Blue Metallic-Current
    85 Toyota Celica Supra, Super Silver Metallic-Gone but never forgotten

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member 1982 Dragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by celticguardian View Post
    I'm waiting for it to paint my trunk ...
    Me too. But good things come to those that wait
    -Josh

1982 Terra Cotta P-Type - Sold and missed Hidden Content
    1987 Supra, 7MGTE 432WHP (New Toy)
    1993 Celica GTS (Daily Commuter)

hey George, id be very interested in this buy, my hatch is leaky as hell and i need seals so i can rebuild it, im strapped for cash, but for this id find some. leme know if you get somthing going.

its been a few weeks since the last post in this thred, but ima hope im not too late.
    count me in
    MAY THE BOOST BE WITH YOU

82 silver/red L type supra
    black/red 89 F150
    98 cavi DD

It's not too late at all...the prototype is being built so we are still many weeks away from going into full fledged production.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar

Prototype is here!

Well gentlemen, the day has finally come. The first prototype arrived on my doorstep for testing and evaluation yesterday

I am very impressed overall. Have a look, this is the new repro seal sitting on top of a Toyota original (mounted to glass)...

My first impression was that the material felt a little odd (texture wise), so I gave it a good wipe of alchol based Final Wipe solvent (Tumbler, etc) and that cleaned it up nice (new rubber parts always have odd residues on them from the moulding process). Looking at the corner moldings it seemed that they were a little sloppy, and obviously the piece was made by molding the corners separetly and then melding them to the extruded straight sections. However comparing it to the oem piece, its obviously the same way the originals were made and they aren't really much cleaner either...

There are some small flaws and overall quality quibbles as one would expect from a made in the orient reproduction piece (thats a small bubble on the underside)...

But no deal breakers, and overall the quality of the piece is quite decent and much better then I was expecting. But in the end, all that really matters is does it fit...

Fits like a charm on the glass.

And on the hatch too

Now please note that a fresh, brand new seal is MUCH grippier then an original. I've never installed a new one before, always removed and installed used ones using just a thin, smooth edged scrapper and alot of patience. After struggling a bit to get the seal lined up, I checked the ol FSRM and they recomend you soap and water the hatch down first to get the seal to slide on nicer. I did not do this on the install in the pics, hence why the seal sits a touch low. The gap on the top matches the amount its over on the bottom perfectly, I have no doubt that they got the fitment on these seals spot on, very impressed in that department. I recomend following the FSRM on the install process (though I havn't had much luck with the string trick yet, will have to get that one down).

Even the inner bits line up right and seal properly...

As for the quality of the part and the material, like I said, there's the odd thing that is typical of a made in the orient repo like a little flashing in the odd corner...

Or small pits and bumps in the extruded sections...

But like I said, nothing to be worried about and the OEM piece isn't as nice as you might think if you take a really close look at it. I can't comment on UV resistance over the long term, I guess time will tell on that one, but I belive the manufacturer claimed they added the appropriate additives for that. I will be putting this seal on my new daily driver mk2 that I'm finishing restoring this fall and it will get parked outside year round. But the seal fits, and fits well, is of very decent build quality and oh yeah, it keeps water out...

Did a little leak test, all good there too. A big thumbs up from the Fiend, way to go George, another out of production part available again!
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Awesome review Seamus, thanks so much for all the time you have put into this project not to mention trust your NLA ubber mint new parts!! I will start finalizing the details with the manufacturer and hopefully start a group buy relatively soon as well as get one started in Australia with the help of Josh.

CelicaSupra.com Member 1982 Dragon's Avatar

[Gauging Interest] MK2 Reproduction Rubber Hatch GLASS Seals

I can't wait! Looks fantastic
    -Josh

1982 Terra Cotta P-Type - Sold and missed Hidden Content
    1987 Supra, 7MGTE 432WHP (New Toy)
    1993 Celica GTS (Daily Commuter)

Who owns that gorgeous mk2 you were test fitting on?
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

Thread Information