Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

3D printing

18K views 87 replies 25 participants last post by  mutantcolors 
#1 ·
Raj brought up the subject about 7 yrs ago: http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?21631-3D-printing

...the technology is now here. I have have access to Dalhousie's university 3D printer, especially now while school is out of session.

[video]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/02/15/ns-3d-printer-dalhousie.html[/video]

The printer in the video is last year's model, they now have a larger format 3D printer. If any CAD guru's are up to vector designing a set of whiskers in AutoCAD or Rhino3D, we can print them.

Note: the CAD file ought to be exported to STL (stereolithographic file format). If your program does not allow export, you can convert using MeshLab freeware.

I'm not trying to make any money from the project, I just think this would be an interesting prototype.

#55 ·
I did a lot of architectural models in college using laser cut plywood and chipboard. I like the challenge/process of flattening your concept into 2D parts that assemble into 3D objects.

The size of bed and level of sophistication I want in a laser cutter makes for a really, really expensive option but I have a shop down the road from me with hardcore gear. Plus you have to evacuate fumes. It's a huge undertaking.

#57 ·
I have been printing a few brackets for my 2JZ swap. Mainly to mount random things on the shock tower. Thing that kinda sucks is that there are no straight lines on the strut tower area so to get the bolt holes lined up and angles correct I am using iterative design. Print one and see where it needs to be adjusted then print again...rinse and repeat. Just doing PLA for prototyping but going to be PET-G when designs are finalized.

#58 ·
I've been printing the whiskers, defrost vents, rear side marker vents, shock tower caps, and some clips here and there. Fun technology and I thoroughly enjoy doing it. The hardest part (for me) is the time to create the solid model correctly.
Scanners still have a long way to go for a home user. Some newer lower cost ones are coming out, but still have a lot of "noise" that needs to be processed out.
Always looking for more ideas to keep them running. ;)

#63 ·
Are you still producing any of these? I would be interested in a pair of whiskers at the very least.

I've been printing the whiskers, defrost vents, rear side marker vents, shock tower caps, and some clips here and there. Fun technology and I thoroughly enjoy doing it. The hardest part (for me) is the time to create the solid model correctly.
Scanners still have a long way to go for a home user. Some newer lower cost ones are coming out, but still have a lot of "noise" that needs to be processed out.
Always looking for more ideas to keep them running.

#68 ·
BIG thanks to Arch for the triangles! It was a team effort.(y)
Arch sent 'em to me,I sent 'em to mutantcolors--he needs a pair for his ride,too. We just get'er done,people.The prototypes are in process.Be patient.This takes some time.Life DOES get in the way,sometimes and this is one of those times.
I bought this plastic paint in Shadow Blue:
SEM Not tested,yet!
Need some touch ups in my interior,anyway.

#69 ·
Update -
My furnace died on Jan 02 2020. I have yet to replace it - I'm a picky dude and the quotes I got were INSANE so yes, I'm building a new home heating system nearly from scratch.
I need a heated environment to properly print high quality materials. So, while I can develop parts (and I have been doing so) making them from user-grade material generally requires your space to be above 50 degrees, which is not the case for me.

We'll get there soon enough. Two and a half more weeks of waiting on a part...

#71 ·
My tolerance grows by the day.
Went to my buddy's sister's house for a card game last week. They had the house at 65 degrees and I was too hot. My tolerance is growing by the day. :devilish:

Lucky for me, it's been the warmest winter on record around here. Several days in the 50s and half of them or more have been above freezing for the low.

#77 ·
Yep, Southern Idaho has a huge spread, we are in a high desert here. In town we generally have a few snow days and a few 100+ degree days every year. Certainly a good stretch of below freezing and above 90. Keep in mind our humidity is low so a hot NC and a hot ID are completely different animals. It's like a sauna vs a steam room.

I lived in Bangkok for a year of college and worked in SW Missouri for a month building a custom home. That humidity is no joke. Way worse than dry heat.

#75 ·
Roger that Dave, not using a wood stove which I'd prefer, but an ancient oil furnace on auto-pilot, warm and cold - I even out the temps with an electric heater. I prefer cooler temps, but below -50 (not including wind chill) gets a little extreme even for my liking.

#76 ·
EXTREME? I would last 6 minutes outside! My BAL does NOT count as anti freeze.
Can you say frostbite? I knew that you could.
Well,if I left my beer outside,it would freeze solid. WODKA freezes @ 70 below(F).

#78 ·
My brother lives in Thailand and the humidity is TERRIBLE! Sit and sweat.Sticky butt-crack hot.
Seattle runs from 30 to 90 F. I had to add A/C in my shed. My computer puts out a bit of heat.Also a small refer.
Has propane heater.

#80 ·
I used to put a folded handkerchief in the top of my shorts to stop the back sweat from running down my ass in Thailand. Not kidding at all. Called it the back diaper.

The humidity is so high you don't sweat, you just get wet from the air.

My trip to Borneo over xmas and new year was even worse.

#82 ·
When in Missouri, staying in Springfield and working about 20mi outside of town in the hills, we'd have super dense fog almost every morning. This was Aug-Sept, pretty foreign experience. Here in ID fog is a winter thing.

I swear it was worse there than anywhere I went in SE Asia with the exception of Borneo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.