3D printing - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D printing

CelicaSupra.com Member discoelk's Avatar
    Just remember guys, solid modeling software isn't always as easy as it looks...
    David H
    85 P, LS6/R154/3.58/TrueTrac etc

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    ^ Agreed, I started 3D modelling back in 1980 when we still had to use punch cards (talk about a PITA). Scanning would seem to be easier, but one still has to be able to fix the glitches. They're down to about $3k now.

(kinda dates me, eh?)
    One class' print run took the entire university computer mainframe, lol.

Actually the modelling programs haven't come as far as I thought they would in those 30 years (remember Star Wars came out in 1977 with a 3D hologram), yet I can def. see alot of potential for this 3D printing technology in everday application.
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

3D printing is now being used to make prosthetic body parts such as ears and may even be used for making organs someday.
    The stocks of these companies have moved up a lot but should we get a nice correction in the overall market then investing in companies like SSYS,DDD,PRLB would make buying Supra parts easier lol
    P-Type purchased new March 1982, 2JZGTE ,Truetrac/3.73,Borg Warner EFR turbo, AEM ems, OS Giken twin disc clutch, Raptorracing 3" exhaust, BBK, NAL seats etc.

CelicaSupra.com Member robidunno's Avatar
    You can now buy a 3D printer off of Amazon. I'm trying to convince my boss the advantages of having one for making replacement plastic parts at work. Try finding some replacement trim pieces for a 1963 Land Rover... I can't remember the name of the company but there's one printer that's like $400. It's like IKEA and you have to assemble it yourself, but all the parts are there. I want one just for me at home.
    Rob C.
    85 P Type 5spd 2.8l 5M-GE - rebuilding after an encounter with some individuals that felt that their needs were greater than mine and helped themselves towhat I had...
    2001 VW Golf GLS Diesel - getting 46mpg at 22psi!
    2008 Camry CE 5spd. Yeah. They came in a manual transmission.

I read about some of those DIY printers a year or two ago. They look like something made from the erector set I played with as a child. There's now a tabletop commercial model called The Cube that does up to 5" square sold by Staples for $1200 and of course larger sizes cost increase from there. There's also DIY 3D scanners but affordable commercial models will be on store shelves very soon. For $2000, you could set yourself up to be able to make small plastic parts. But I'm sure the business model will be the same as inkjet printers. They'll sell you the printer pretty cheap and make their money raping you over the consumables. Probably won't get very many whiskers out of a $50 cartridge.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

About 20 years ago I was married and working for a small company in Finland, called Nokia. They were innovators, poised to to take center stage with their new GSM cellphone. At the time I was too involved in my own cutting-edge project, otherwise I would've jumped on the opportunity, but needless to say after rubbing shoulders with the Finns, I was impressed with this small, highly educated population with well-managed natural resources and co-operative, experimental approach to technological developments.

Cellulose R&D:

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-cellulo...re.html#inlRlv

Full .pdf document: http://www.vttresearch.com/Documents...esentation.pdf

They also share a passion for motorsports, especially F1, rally and ice racing.
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Upper/side dash and mid- dash outer vents.Who has a doner?
    Chrome would look cool.Plastic chrome paint?Plastic chrome plating?
    If I removed them,they would crumble,straight away.
    Windshield washer nozzles:Black.
    Injector/sensor connectors:Yellow.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

I just ordered an SLA 3D printer and laser scanner with a multiple selection of UV curable colours. We'll see what I can pull off this winter
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

What scanner did you order? In my limited research, the scanner technology has sort of been the weak link with consumer grade equipment resolutions far less than the consumer grade printer capabilities. Falling back on diskoelks post about solid modeling software not being quite so easy as it looks means I can't yet buy this stuff and expect to be able to simply glue a broken part back together, scan it and print a copy with minimal editing. With the prices now down to reasonable, I'd like to buy some of this stuff and try to reproduce some parts on my own, but I keep thinking I'd be too busy to learn the software.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

There's so many to choose from nowadays, I went with the MakerBot Replicator 5th gen for ease of support, and the fact it's sealed. It's still a fairly small platform, but actually a step up from what we had at the university I last worked. I too didn't want to get bogged down in the modelling details, so I complimented it with Digitizer 3D scanner ...from reviews it's basically idiot proof.

Last edited by '82supra; 10-15-2015 at 01:49 AM. Reason: pic & vid added
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Thread Information