Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Which Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gauging Interest - Jim King MK2 AC Retrofit Kit

24K views 77 replies 28 participants last post by  RaptorRacing 
#1 ·
Folks;

since Jim can't post a POLL I'm posting this on his behalf...he will be running this group buy. Any and all questions (with the exception of Canadian Shipping) will go through him and here is the text he gave me:

Features:
o Supports R134a
o Fits either 5M or 7M motor
o Support for 1J/2J motor
o All new parts. It replaces all parts from the firewall evaporator connectors to compressor.
o Most all replacement parts are easily available.
o Engineered for durability, safety and future serviceability.

What you get
o Brand new compressor (5M or 7M configuration only)
o For 1J/2J compressors, possibility of a premium rebuilt NipponDenso with external warranty.
o All new hard and soft lines, o-rings and a squirt bottle of Nylog for o-ring sealing
o Inline AC filter.
o High / Low pressure automatic cut off switch.
o Spal low profile fan
o Custom Multi-pass parallel flow condenser

Price
o $950US which includes shipping in the lower 48.
o Possibility for Canadian Shipments will go through George(Raptor Racing). Extra fees will apply.

Spare Parts for any existing kit
o Condenser: $115 + shipping
o New Seltec Compressor $250 + shipping

Production Schedule
I can only say that this project would be completed this summer. I’m guessing sometime in August. So you’ll get to enjoy 2-3 months of AC comfort.
Then when it rains, you will have the fastest defogger.

Notes
The price went up for various reasons. Several AC parts suppliers and fabricators I used before are no longer in business.
Plus I have to outsource a good amount of this.

1/2JZ support. The factory mount points are very specific, which might require the end user to have some welding done.
I might require a test subject to prefit a set of lines so I can get the correct lines made.

I do not have pricing yet on premium rebuilt 2JZ compressors. Note, these will have a warranty. I’m guessing at least $250.

Improvements since last kit
o Revised drier bracket.
o All lines welded (not brazed)
o Improved mating connector between evaporator and EPR.

Voting options
o 5/6M
o 7M
o 1JZ / 2JZ

Your vote is public. Only vote if you are going to proceed with the buy.

See less See more
#37 ·
I may be interested in a 7MGTE a/c kit. Any finalized info or updates on when a group buy may get started? Once started, what is the turn around time for getting them shipped out?

#38 ·
I have not received a reply about setting up the GB since later July.

Though I just discovered a place holder post in the Group Buy section for the AC kit.

Starting this AC GB in September will get tricky. It's a 3 month project including collection of payments.

There's a potential large personal speed hump that will likely occur in November which will impact this project. This could postpone shipments well into December.

At this juncture, it's probably best for everyone (myself included) that the GB start in either December or January. I know this is not
what people want to hear, though I don't want to start a project, put it on hold for an indeterminate amount of time, then complete it.

#49 ·
Okay, this makes two. Like Lee MA61, I saw the poll randomly in the news feed so I voted 5MGE...but I don't need an AC upgrade. Sorry about messing your numbers up too, George,

Dale

#50 ·
I too am wondering whether or not this group buy will open up next month. Now that all the weatherstripping group buys with RaptorRacing have concluded, I would like to get in on something else for my Supra. Living in Florida with no a/c is quite unpleasant.

#51 ·
Hi, i'm just wondering if there has been any progress on the AC kits. I just put the black leather interior in my black supra so AC is now a must

Thanks

#52 ·
I'm thinking this must be a dead group buy/thread as there has been no advancement or updates in quite some time. Too bad as I would like a/c in my 7M swapped MK2.

#59 ·
I'm curious. If I do a 7m swap into my 84. Even though I have a working ac system now, what would the cost be to have the system evacuated and refilled with custom lines to the 7m compressor? Will I need to get this retrofit kit? Will r12 work with the 7m compressor?

#60 ·
If you have a working R12 AC system, and your 7M swap includes a working 7M AC compressor, all you'd need to find is a shop
that can fab the compressor lines and charge with R12.

The retrofit kit is primarily for those with non-working/broken AC systems, limited to no access to R12, and most importantly,
trying to revive an unknown AC system can become a large money pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.