Lemons Mk2 Build - Page 117

Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1173
    CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar
    I just missed an 83 Cressida on Craigslist for cheap. After some reading it seems that the 83/84 Cressida shared a lot of parts with the Supra. Rockauto confirms identical suspension parts in some cases and the engine compartment looks very familiar. A trunk would make a great bulkhead for separating the fuel system and diff cooler from the driver compartment, and they have 18.5 gallon fuels tanks!

I'll keep racing the Supra for now, but I'm on the hunt for a Cressida to look at in person and do some measuring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I don't think a Cressida would make a better race car. I think they are heavier and you can't put as wide a tire on them. Couldn't you modify the stock intake manifold to stay low cost?

We've been running an 86 cressida, and love it, the extra fuel allows us to run 2.5 hours fairly comfortably, many parts are interchangeable with the Mk2, whole drivetrain, suspension. the rear arms I understand are a tad longer, I'm told by the previous owners who are classic toyota guys that if you put supra arms on the cressi, you will get an extra degree of camber for those that are looking for more "stance"
    I do feel the aero brick that is the cressida does hurt a little on the longer straights, but nothing to compare it to.
    as far as weight, our car is about 2800lbs wet moderately lightened with a basic lemons legal cage.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

The 83-84 Cressi was 200 lb lighter than the 1986, so I'll bet it could get close to my Supra weight (2540). I'm sure that I could find a way to get 245 or 255 rubber underneath it. The Supra will live on for now as it's getting close to complete, but I'll be keeping my eyes open for a Supra or Cressi shell to use as a new foundation.

Have you ever gotten to the point of a budget build and faced insurmountable problems that make you ponder throwing in the towel? That was me two months ago as I fought with trying to package 10lbs of crap in a 5lb space, while also sacrificing a bit of safety by cutting a large hole in the firewall right in front of the driver. Competing for space: Intake pipe, Throttle body, Fuel line, Brake line, Throttle cable, Coolant hose, and Firewall.

After trying everything in my skill set to make this work I finally gave up at the exact moment that the answer was being crafted. Rather than giving up I changed my thought process. I want: 1. safe, and 2. reliable, so I spent some money to solve all of the problems. Yes, I'll take a hit and who knows where the Chump budget will end up, but I'm ready to finish this thing the right way.

New Hotness: KMiata intake for RWD applications. Uses K series IACV and MAP, a B-series throttle body and TPS (found used on eBay). I was able to weld the firewall closed, and there is a ton of room for all components.

The search is on for a Toyota throttle cable that will fit, and a plug for the B-series TPS. Then it's dyno time.

Most certainly make it safe!
    I'm not sure if I'm makin it to RA this year, If I do I will let you know!

After some more creative fabrication (throttle cable, cooling hoses, brackets) it was time to start the car again last night. It fired up quickly and everything seemed to be OK. So today Grumpy Butt saw daylight for the first time in 18 months. I added water to the cooling system and tidied up a bit in the engine bay, then started it outside and tested the clutch. So far so good, so a quick blast down the street verifies that the drivetrain is functional. So far there are no water or oil leaks.

A gauge check after the first blast down my street. Good oil pressure and the alternator if working.

https://youtu.be/NRv0enidxU0

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Awesome! This is a hell of a swap, very curious how its going to perform.

That was a long haul, it always hurts having your baby off the road for so long. Mine has been in storage for the last year, hoping to drive it again relatively soon (spring at latest).
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Dyno time.

After a few teething issues the K24 is running well in its new home. The torque curve is quite different than the inline 6 cyl!

I'll upload video of a run when I figure out how to get it off my phone :lol:

sounds good!

Thread Information