Lemons Mk2 Build

Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar

Lemons Mk2 Build

I apologize for the broken links. As soon as I migrate the pics from Photobucket to a new sharing service I will get the links up
    1/2018 I'm working backwards and down to page 30

After a couple of years racing a Mazda MX3 in LeChump events, I decided that I wanted to try something new. I enjoy following other people's builds because they're informative and entertaining. This thread will document the build, but I want to encourage a two-way dialog as I go. If you have information that will help, or questions, please feel free to post. If you need any interior parts check out my Sale Thread.

I found this 1985 P-type on Craigslist in PA. I wanted to start with a running example with a clean title because I intend to keep the car street legal. Here she is, fresh from a 750 mile drive home to Atlanta. Turned 189,000 miles on the way!

Things are pretty ugly underneath - lots of rust and mud. It runs and drives well, and seems fairly solid in general.

I'm not sure on a theme yet, but this car has always intrigued me:

I know.... it's a Celica, but I wanted to race one of these when I was younger.

Now I'm going to start taking things apart...

... and for those of you who don't want to scroll through 29 pages, here is the end result on track during the first race!

Last edited by revvhappy; 01-23-2018 at 09:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    very clean car from photo is the interior black?
    Dylan
    1985 toyota supra
    Build thread Hidden Content

The seats are this color. I have no idea if it's blue or grey.

Disassembly has begun. My goal today was to remove the sunroof since it had been sealed shut with black silicone. I started removing pieces to get the headliner out (A, B, and C-pillar covers, mirror, dome light), then got carried away and ended up removing all of the inner rear panels, the carpet/liner that runs from the trunk floor to the rear seats, and the wood support around the spare tire.

Then it was time to attack the sunroof. All bolts were removed, but the sunroof was still solidly mounted! After a little research on CS I found that the sealer "glues" the unit to the car, so I had to pry it loose with a lot of effort.

Now I have a large hole in the roof which will be sealed with a welded-in sheet during the cage installation. For now it's sealed with a sheet of plastic, silicone, and duct tape Free is good right now, and I kinda like the opaque look that lets light through.

Last edited by revvhappy; 02-24-2014 at 11:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member spud3861's Avatar
    Are you planning to shed as much weight as you can or is there a rule against that?

The lighter the better. There are no weight rules in LeMons. I can always add ballast if I decide to run an SCCA event.

Any suggestions for removing weight without affecting structural integrity? Oxidation seems to be doing a fine job on the underside

Joined so I can follow the build thread. Let me know when you need a hand...

Mike

CelicaSupra.com Member spud3861's Avatar
    You could change the front and rear bumper reinforcements. The steel bumpers behind the plastic bumpers. Replace with aluminum bar.

CelicaSupra.com Member Racefiend's Avatar
    For our lemons car (a 1990 Integra) we stripped it of everything. We removed the hatch, all glass minus the windshield (required), sunroof, interior, dash, cut out the inner door liners, and removed all insulation.

We cut out a piece of sheet metal just bigger than the sunroof and riveted it to the roof, in case we ever needed access again.

As far as your cage goes, don't skimp on the drivers side bars. There's a lot of contact out there, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Also, read the cage rules thoroughly. They're very picky about the cage during inspections. There's a great do's and don'ts illustrated guide out there on lemons cage building. Should be on the lemons forum somewhere.

Also, if you plan on modding, hide them well. For those you can't hide, bring good bribes for the BS inspection.

One of our team drivers is a master with metal. He built the cage in our MX3 to Lemons spec and the tech people loved it. Do you know if it's legal in Lemons to weld braces from the cage to the body to add stiffness?

What theme is your Integra? Do you run all the West Coast races? My team owner drove a smowmobile-powered Miata in a race last year and had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by revvhappy View Post
    One of our team drivers is a master with metal. He built the cage in our MX3 to Lemons spec and the tech people loved it. Do you know if it's legal in Lemons to weld braces from the cage to the body to add stiffness?

What theme is your Integra? Do you run all the West Coast races? My team owner drove a smowmobile-powered Miata in a race last year and had a blast.
    No restrictions in LeMons for cage-to-body attachments. Chump does have some restrictions

Thread Information