Lemons Mk2 Build - Page 3

Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar
    I've had a little time here and there to remove the dash and some of the components underneath:

Today I took a deep breath and started the rear wheel well project. It's going to be a long process! I removed some riveted and sealed sheet metal. It was keeping water out but I need the area to be structurally solid to take hours of racing. I'll be learning to weld soon...

Passenger side:

And driver side:

Thanks to a couple of threads in this forum the damage doesn't seem so daunting, but it's going to be a challenge!
    Last edited by revvhappy; 02-24-2014 at 11:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Wow, swiss cheese! I bet one of mine looks similar. Best of luck!

Ugly!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by revvhappy View Post
    I've had a little time here and there to remove the dash and some of the components underneath:

Today I took a deep breath and started the rear wheel well project. It's going to be a long process! I removed some riveted and sealed sheet metal. It was keeping water out but I need the area to be structurally solid to take hours of racing. I'll be learning to weld soon...

Passenger side:

And driver side:

Thanks to a couple of threads in this forum the damage doesn't seem so daunting, but it's going to be a challenge!
    What an ugly patch job. Looks like that is a common area for rot huh? Go get an old fender and learn to weld on that before you tackle this mess. The steel they use is very thin and can be tricky to get a good bead. Low heat and practice my boy.

Good Luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the moral support! It gets easier to look at each day, and with more reading in the restoration threads. Our current Lemons car will be donating an old hood to be cut up and used as patches. Today I started cleaning the mess.

There's actually some metal in there!!

Last edited by revvhappy; 02-24-2014 at 11:41 PM.

I decided to tackle the worst wheel well first (Driver side). As you can see after some clean-up, the inverted bowl that houses the top of the spring is missing a large piece. It's thicker metal than the body panels, so my first job will be to weld in a patch to enclose the spring using 1/8". I also asked a couple of my friends about welding patches from the bottom as I've seen in a CS thread. They said it's not fun to weld upside-down, so I'm going to tackle the large patch in a different way.

After removing old riveted patches:

Basic clean-up with wire wheel and cut-off wheel.

Due to the extent of the damage I decided to take a slightly different approach for the sheet metal repair. The cross-brace is in excellent shape, and is spot welded to the original panel... well, it used to be spot welded, I drilled them out. This will allow me to tuck a large patch between the brace and the current panels. Here is the first attempt at starting a template.

And the 2nd attempt

So yeah, I'm basically rebuilding the entire wheel well and suspension support.
    Last edited by revvhappy; 02-24-2014 at 11:42 PM.

CelicaSupra.com Member celica fanatic's Avatar
    Wooow. What part of Georgia are you from?
    '82 Supra L, '85 Supra P, '84 Supra P,

I live in Acworth. So far I've met 2 other CS members from Atlanta in person. Where are you?

Still in the disassembly stage. I've been removing things that don't affect the car sitting outside in the rain (rear wiper motor, control units for door locks, entire exhaust system, unnecessary switches and wiring, etc). I can't wait to start removing windows and gutting the doors, hatch, and hood, but that will have to wait.

A friend showed me an easy way to remove the "Black Goo" insulation on the floor pans and tunnels. Dry ice is the secret. Use pellets if they're available, spread them onto the goo, let sit for 5 minutes and PRESTO, the stuff come up in chunks with a tap of a hammer and chisel.

NOTE: Don't touch dry ice with bare hands. I got mine at a local grocery store - about $15 worth did the entire job.

I wish that I had saved all of the insulation that was removed, it had to weigh in excess of 15lbs. Here are a a couple of views of the chassis.

I also found a 1986 Cressida in a local Pull-a-Part and scored some front hubs with good bearings to complete my "BBK" parts list. $30 for both.

I'm considering going back to PAP to retrieve the entire rear subframe including suspension (they want less than $200 and mine is very rusty). I hope everything I read about the Cressida and Mk2 Supra being identical is true.
    Last edited by revvhappy; 02-24-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Re: Lemons Mk2 Build

Awesome build so far Peter. Score on the brake upgrade. Looking forward to seeing more.
    85 P type 2j NA-T - Garage Queen
    04 IS300 - Daily Beater

Thanks, Rob! It's going to be a slow process with all of the welding that will be necessary(and me just learning to weld). Having the car in the driveway makes life easy - I work on it when I have free time. How's your build coming along?

Thread Information