Nardi classic steering wheel with nrg hub and quick release

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nardi classic steering wheel with nrg hub and quick release

Finally got all the parts in to put this on. At first i had just the hub adapter and the wheel, but the wheel has a 74mm mounting diameter and the hub has a 70mm momo sized one. I could have just gotten a spacer/adapter, but figured while i was already spending the cash i might as well spend the extra money and get a quick release, which has both the 70 and 74mm steering wheel mounting sizes on the outside, though only 70mm on the inside where it bolts to the hub so if you've got some weird nardi sized hub adapter this quick release won't work for you. If you're doing just the wheel, tilt the wheel all the way up and remove the screw on the bottom in the back so you can lift the horn up and off, then pull off the 19mm steering shaft nut and pull the wheel off. I got lucky after tapping the wheel a bit that it popped off easily, you might need to rent a steering wheel puller though.

Hub: NRG SRK-120H
    https://www.getnrg.com/products/quic...t-hub/srk-120h

Any nrg quick release should work, but i liked the 2.0 version and mounted the little detent on the bottom so it wouldn't be visible. THe other versions have big flappy paddle looking things on it which i guess are better for race cars, didn't see the point for the street though.
    https://www.getnrg.com/products/quic...t-gen-2.0/feed

Any nardi wheel should work, i liked the classic though, pick whatever size floats your boat. i went with the 360mm. big props to my bro for the late bday present there

imgur gallery if you just want to scroll through that. http://imgur.com/a/P3BwZ

Sticks out a tad more than stock which i like, but i'll have to get used to flicking the blinkers now

Have to drill new holes for the cancellers. i used a 3/16 bit, made a hole right near the end, then warbled it into the existing slot cause i'm a weirdo and wanted it to be a little smoother. make sure you clean out all the shavings unless you want all that scratching your stuff up while you are steering...

my drill bits of choice for aluminum, just drill slow and it will be fine

those little nubs on the white ring attached to the combo stalk need to go into the holes you make

properly drilled holes means the white ring sits flush with the hub

the horn was a bitch to get in.i just kind of wedged the one wire in there, if it fails i will attach it better right near the sharpie they put on from the factory but it works for now. the black trim ring actually needs to go on under the horn assmbly, had to redo that so this pic isn't quite right...

used this tool to get the horn assemble clip wedged into there, not sure what that ring is but i did not use it

If you are having issues with your turn signal/wiper combo stalk like me, go ahead and play with that while you're in there. I swapped it out for another one that tested good, though eventually i want a perfectly black non faded wiper stalk but at least it works for now. I found a random toggle switch buried under the lower dash panel, should be fun to mess with removing the janky old disconnected alarm system some day...

edit:fuck the horn assembly, i ended up taking the clip out, wrapping it in electrical tape a ton so it barely wedged in there and calling it good. we'll see how well that works. appears to come like 1mm out once in awhile but i can just push it back in. with the retaining wire thing it would pop out completely, so unless anyone has any tip this will have to do :P
    Last edited by gamble; 10-17-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.
    "You need to update your signature Gamble" - Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Cool post
    Dylan
    1985 toyota supra
    Build thread Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member Mkeller316's Avatar
    Nice! I love my Nardi just need it restored soon.
    Matt K.

84 P type - retired DD stainless steel header, Rabid Chimp 2.5 exhaust. 2.5 all the way back to the muffler,kyb agx's 2jzge swapped Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Excellent post. I am surprised at the amount of fabrication/drilling needed to make this work. I have been looking at a setup like this. When I get closer to change the steering wheel, you will get a PM from me. Looking forward to driving impression/quick release notes.

Chadrick

Quote Originally Posted by CLToy View Post
    Excellent post. I am surprised at the amount of fabrication/drilling needed to make this work. I have been looking at a setup like this. When I get closer to change the steering wheel, you will get a PM from me. Looking forward to driving impression/quick release notes.

Chadrick
    honestly the drilling wasn't that bad, you can see the stock holes were juuuuust to far apart to work on our canceller so i just extended that hole inwards the width of a drill bit on each side. i didn't even use a press or measure or anything, just got the bit that looked close and went to town. took maybe 5 minutes including cleaning it all up :P

so far just driving around today i've been digging it. on a related note i've got pretty large hands and can palm a basketball, so someone with smaller hands might not even be able to reach the blinkers/wipers with the same stuff i used. they do sell a lower profile quick release but i think it requires some other hub adapter.
    https://www.getnrg.com/products/quic...n-version/feed
    "*** Not Compatible with NRG Short Hub Adapter or Quick Lock ***" i'm not really sure what hub they want, but it is worth looking into if you want more of a stock location. or of course just use an adapter without quick release that is less than the 3" length of the one i used.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.

Awesome! I have the same hub, but I skipped out on the quick release section and added a spacer to reach just over the steering shaft. I love how much closer it is now compared to the Momo hub.
    Hidden Content **1985 Supra P-type**Hidden Content

i've been using the only suede grip gloves i could find at the local sporting goods store so i don't wear the wheel out too fast, even though i get hassled about it by anyone riding in the car. nothing wrong with a little friendly ribbing :P
    http://www.footjoy.com/catalog/productview.asp?c=46

they work for now, nice and warm with the windows down. will need to source a cooler pair for when the weather warms up though.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Where did you get that shift knob and shift boot? Can you snap another picture please?

Knob and boot came with the car when my brother gave it to me, i think it is just your standard titanium knob. I def keep it covered so i don't burn myself on it...

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    the horn was a bitch to get in.i just kind of wedged the one wire in there, if it fails i will attach it better right near the sharpie they put on from the factory but it works for now. the black trim ring actually needs to go on under the horn assmbly, had to redo that so this pic isn't quite right...

used this tool to get the horn assemble clip wedged into there, not sure what that ring is but i did not use it

The metal backing makes a good ground, most of the aftermarket buttons I've seen are plastic with contact(s). That ring may either be a spacer or a wedge, others are like this:

I used this info when searching parts for my new setup. Still looking for a satisfunktory horn logo.

Great writeup with photos!
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Thread Information