Manvir's 84P Build/Resto - Page 32

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132
    CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    i was referring to Manvir's comment about rattyness, as his car is a rats nest of wires.
    the car is totally a terrible chassis for v8s, motorsports and modifying, he knew that. i think he might be adding a cage or a 4 pt perhaps, but he doesnt work on it too much now a days other than items breaking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Manvir Brar's Avatar
    Hey guys, been a while. Glad to see a good handfull of yall are still posting regularly!

Been super busy with school, work and life the last couple years and honestly haven't really been able to work on the car at all. In fact, I was actually working at Tesla out in California the last eight months, which was awesome but kept me so far far away from my baby. It seems like this winter however, the stars might actually align, and I'll have some time to work on the car.

Little update with the car: Last winter I actually removed the turbo setup because I was getting pretty frustrated with all the hassle and not having time to properly work on it. Ended up getting a pacesetter header and it worked pretty well for a little while.

Unfortunately the last time we drove the car, we saw signs of high crankcase pressure (blowing off breathers and steaming everywhere) and the car was still smoking pretty bad after removing the turbo if I remember correctly. So we likely had pretty bad blowby and it's possible the rings or the headgasket are toast. Will probably get around to doing a compression tests one of these weekends just to confirm.

So going off the assumption that the engine is toasted, I kind of have two courses of action that I can take with this, and I could probably use some advice.

I currently have a 2JZ with the mount/adapters and bellhousing and what not. However, I don't have an OEM ecu, and I'm not certain I can run it with my microsquirt computer. My main concern with the 2JZ-GE is the vvti, not sure if I can just "ignore" or block it off somehow and continue to use the microsquirt. I think in that case I'll just get an oem computer and harness.

I also have a spare 5mge engine that we used the exhaust cam out of when we fixed the misfire in like 2015 that is probably in good shape. That would probably be a simple swap as I can probably just redo the wiring harness nicely, and I've got everything else figured out. I'll probably also redo all the turbo piping and stuff to try to get the whole setup more clean/reliable.

The main constraints here will probably be budget and time, considering that I'll realistically have a couple weeks to do all the work. I'm leaning towards the 2JZ-GE swap, and future proofing it for a turbo later on. Curious to hear what you guys think. Looking forward to finally being able to work on the thing again, but also know it'll be a lot of curse words and late nights.

Anyways, my degree is coming to an end in April and I don't really know where I'll be when I graduate (potentially very far away from this car) so this may be the last time I work on the car for another long period. Was just reading through this thread and all the memories hit me. I'm thankful to have been able to learn so much working on this thing and learn so much from all of you guys. Appreciate the support over the years and glad you guys have kept this site alive. Hopefully I'll have some more updates in the next month or so. Need to fix my dads E36 convertible top first so I can kick it out of the garage and steal the spot, lol.
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Good to see you're still around and thinking about the car, if not exactly playing with it.

At this point, I'd recommend doing the minimum/easiest route to get the JZ engine in the car. You'll be very happy with it.

What are you taking in school? If you're thinking you'll be moving... take the car with you
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Manvir Brar's Avatar
    Hey Dean,

I definitely think about the car, pretty much everyday haha.

Yeah, as far as the 2JZ goes, the minimalist route will either be an OEM ECU/harness or just redoing whatever I need to for the microsquirt to work, hence the worry about the vvt stuff. I'm really hoping to just be able to "ignore" it or hook up some simple external controller for it if I go with my microsquirt. The engine will also be refreshed externally before install. I've already been struggling with the crank bolt, if you've got any tips to get it loose.

The more I think about it, I realize there is a bunch of other things besides the engine on that car that still need attention, so I don't want to get too lost in turbo nonsense this time around.

Finishing up my mechanical engineering degree! Would love to take the car with me if I move anywhere in Canada. However, I'm mostly thinking about working my first job/doing a masters degree in Europe or the United States. In that case it'll get tricky.

I'll try to more regularly update this thread once I get working on it again.
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Crank bolt = big gun, or buy the tool!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schley-SCH6...-/332226723745
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

Thread Information