Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

P-type and L-type; differences in years

116K views 178 replies 58 participants last post by  kickasspeanut 
#1 · (Edited)
USDM 2nd generation Supras:

*1982: 145hp 150ft/lbs. 8.8:1 compression, vaccuum advanced distributor, glass antenna, door lock located in center console, key lock gas filler door, black hatch and bumper, 85mph speedometer, 3.72 standard gearing, upper wing was an option, tail lights had reverse light in the center, the early 1982 models had only "SUPRA" on the nose badge and b-pillar covers, door handles open by pulling sideways

*1983: 150hp 159ft/lbs., electronic advanced distributor, switched to power antenna, had "Celica Supra" on nose badge and B-pillar, the 5 speeds had 4.10 gears, 1st year the cars had mudflaps

*1984: automatics= kept the 1983 engine
5 speeds= got the 9.2:1 compression ratio, D-shaped intake runners, 160hp 163 ft/lb engine
1st year the mkII had wrap around turn signals and a new style steering wheel, also got a bump in a 130mph speedometer, got the billboard "SUPRA" sticker on the hatch, the hatch and bumper received same color treatment (no more black), all 5 speeds received the 4.30 gears all automatics got 4.10 gears, received an internal fuel pump, the door lock switch was moved to the drivers side door, the tail lights also changed to having the reverse light closer to the liscense plate, door handles open by pulling up, the automatic climate control display changed style

*1985: all the mkIIs had the new 161hp 169 ft/lb engine and recieved a new double spoiler (except the L-types which never got wings/spoilers), also got heated mirrors that activate with the rear defroster, also received a different style TPS and EGR system, a factory alarm and a knock sensor, the door handles had a green-lighted keyhole that was continued to 1986

*1986: 3rd brake light added to meet regulations, AM Stereo, smaller ignition key = hard to find

P-(Performance) type and L-(Luxury) type differences:
the leather interior was not available on P-types until 1983, the L-types did not recieve the 8 way adjustable seats that came standard on P-type models, L-type wheels were 14X5.5" until 1985 when they changed to 15x6" and a P-type style. All P-type wheels are 14x7" alloys. L-types had digital dash w/ trip computer as an option. All P-types were available with headlight washers (except 1982 for the washers) and wheel flares, the L-types had no flares or headlight washers

L-type on the left, P-type on the right

L-type wheel (82-84) 14 x 5.5", +27mm offset

L-type wheel (1985 only) 15 x 6", +20mm offset.

P-type wheel 14 x 7", +8mm offset

All have a 4:114.3 bolt circle/bolt pattern.

In the Canadian Spec cars, the Digital Dash was a OPTION on BOTH the P-Type cars AND the L-Type cars. In the US Spec cars, the Digital Dash was a OPTION on ONLY the L-Type cars. The P-Type's only got the Analog dash.

Automatic Tranny was a OPTION on P-Type & the L-Types. This only applies to the US & Canadian Spec 82 - 83's. 84+, the US Spec L-Types only got the Auto tranny. 84+, the Canadian Spec cars did NOT get the L-Types. 84+, the P-Type's still had the Slushbox as a OPTION in BOTH countries.

Canada, the Trip Computer was not available, because it was only available in the US, because the Computer only worked in Miles & Gallons. It did NOT work for Kilometers or Litre's.

Leather Interiors in the MkII
P-types:
1982* leather not available
1983* available in black, a one year only color - still trying to confirm Terra Cotta
1984* available in Maroon and Black/Grey; L-type seats were also available in the '84 P-types as well
1985* available in Maroon, Black/Grey and first year Blue became availabe
1986* same colors as '85

L-types:
1982* leather available in Black and Terra Cotta, material appears to look and feel like vinyl
1983* leather available in the same colors, but now the seat material is the actual leather
1984* leather available in Maroon and Black/Grey
1985* leather not available
1986* L-type was discontinued

*Note; mkII Supra started production in 1981 and ended in 1985...the cars that were made from August-December of 1985 were classified as 1986 models as with any year car made between those months they are named after the next year...some July models are hybrids, having features of both the production date and next years model.

****If any of this info is wrong or needs more info added, please PM me so I can adjust this post accordingly.*****
Info is being added as it comes in, thanks all
:D

Thanks to Chris Eng, Arch, Charles, Dogstar, Dean and any others I may have forgotten in helping me gather the information and pics

See less See more
#4 ·
84 5-speeds are actually the 160hp 163 tq motors.

85 is when they went to 161/169.

82 P-Types don't have mudflaps. First started in 83 & they had the 1 year only "chunky" look design. 84 had a minor redesign that stayed till 86.

Leather interiors in P-Types are a whole other story, esp on 84's. Will have to explain this later.

Many other differences that I know of, I'll be adding/editing this post as I go along....

#164 · (Edited)
84 5-speeds are actually the 160hp 163 tq motors.

85 is when they went to 161/169.
With that...is the cylinder head completely different on an 85 & 86 than the previous model years to provide the slight increase in hp/tq? If not...what exactly made the difference?

#6 ·
Hmmm. 1982's did not have headlight washers. I believe 1983's also had a different rear end for the 5 speed - 3.91.

Don't forget the wonderful :x factory alarm in 1985 and 1986 - I trigger that stupid thing every time I try to unlock the passenger door with the key...

#7 ·
Phil,

83 5-speeds had the 4.10. I don't believe ANY USDM MKII had the 3.91 rear. Other countries yes, but not ours. Only USDM Supra's that I know of that had a 3.91, was the 79 - 80 MA46 MKI.

#8 ·
Tanyas Mk2 said:
was kinda hoping people would PM me so it didn't turn into a 3 page mess like on the SF
:(
Whoops, sorry about that.. Ya might want to highlight that notation.

Don't feel bad, the Paint Code thread that is here in the FAQ that I'm trying to maintain, has turned into 4 pages... :eek2:

#9 ·
CJSREDPRA said:
Phil,

83 5-speeds had the 4.10. I don't believe ANY USDM MKII had the 3.91 rear. Other countries yes, but not ours. Only USDM Supra's that I know of that had a 3.91, was the 79 - 80 MA46 MKI.
Righto CE.....I knew 83's were different...4.10 rather than 3.91. I stand corrected!

I'm still figuring out all the little nuances between the 84 I had and the 85 now.

#13 ·
More rubbish...

The Digital Dash/Trip Computer was actually a option on the L-Types. I have seen several analog dash's in L-Types.

Eventually, I'll get around to writing up my dissertation on Leather interiors....

The addition of the pictures is looking great!!!! If you need more pics, check Bill Loeffler's website for ideas

http://www.angelfire.com/me2/suprapage/mk2.html

#14 ·
The L-types with analogs, were those checked as being USDM or CDN? Or is it listed that way in the brochures? (I've never seen any brochure so I wouldn't know) All the US L-types I've seen were digi dash, but some Candians have told me about analog Ls as well as the digi p-types...some kind of sick Toyota joke? LOL
also, weird but my 1982 P-type had mudflaps so I just assumed they all had them ,lol

#15 ·
USDM.

I've seen quite a few Analogs in either PacNW members cars, or in junkyards, regardless of years. There is currently a Super Silver 85 L-Type in a junkyard that has a Analog dash.

(Off Topic) Yes, Digital Dash's in P-Types is a Canadian thing. And that's all they got, they never did get the Trip Computer.

#17 ·
where you want the 82 L pics sent?
and what do you want pics of?

#19 ·
#23 ·
Couple of mechanical things I have noticed that are a slight bit off...

The 5 speed was never mated to a 4.10 rear from the factory... not 100% on this tho, but I am pretty certain.

The D shaped runners started in 1984... which is where the jump in HP from 83 to 84 comes from. (This I definately know... had 2 84's and both have had D shaped runners on the intakes)

#24 ·
Nope, the 5-speed/4.10 rear combo is correct for a 83. Ask someone w/ a 83 5-speed to read their rear diff code on the firewall dataplate.

#26 ·
Thanks Nick!!!

There you go!!!!! F293 (and the W58 marking) pretty much confirms the 4.10 LSD rear on Nicks USDM 83

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.