85 Supra starting question - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    As Phil said, check the battery cables a few inches from the battery. Any signs of green, replace immediately.
    If it's the neutral start switch which allows starting in either neutral or park, wiggling the shifter in either position should help. It would be unlikely to be flaky in both positions at the same time. However, the adjustment of this switch is critical. Like Phil said, do your back up lights work when in reverse? If not or if they're intermittent too, more than likely that switch is out of adjustment. It's very expensive to replace as it has contacts in every position to inform the ECT ECU what position the shifter is in. Check the TSRM for proper adjustment.
    However, it's probably the cables. Might be time to get a cheap DVM and learn how to use it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I checked the cables as mentioned and both look good. I was going to check the reverse/backup light but the transmission went out today

Did you ever find the answer to this problem? I have a 84 automatic w/ 86k miles and the same thing just started happening to me. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    As mentioned earlier, the positive and negative battery cables needs to be tested electronically:

1. Measure resistance from end-to-end, should be zero.

2. Measure voltage-drop of battery when cranking. Then measure voltage-drop at starter, should be same

3. Measure continuity of NSS in neutral and park. Wiggle the shifter. Should never lose continuity. Do 2nd test and bypass NSS with jumper wire to simulate neutral/park position.

4. activate starter by manually triggering solenoid. Don't need to say that car should be in neutral?

You simply cannot test the battery cables by looking at it and saying it "looks good". Need to test them electronically and cut back the insulation and inspect the actual wires inside. Might be like this underneath:

Excellent picture Danny. That's exactly what I found on that 84 that had been donated to charity because it wouldn't start - lots of green copper under the insulation.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

so an update on this problem. I was referred to a shop in the Dallas area owned by a 15 year Toyota master mechanic. dropped the car off and they ended up pulling the Neutral Start Switch. turns out all the contact points inside were fairly corroded and gunked up and barely making contact. They cleaned everything and reinstalled and not a single problem since.

I also had a wobbly shifter due to pieces being worn out and/or cracked.

All told I paid $500 and this is based on their $55 hourly rate. A little more than I would've liked but honestly to now have a reliable car it was worth it.

so an update on this problem. I was referred to a shop in the Dallas area owned by a 15 year Toyota master mechanic. dropped the car off and they ended up pulling the Neutral Start Switch. turns out all the contact points inside were fairly corroded and gunked up and barely making contact. They cleaned everything and reinstalled and not a single problem since.

I also had a wobbly shifter due to pieces being worn out and/or cracked.

All told I paid $500 and this is based on their $55 hourly rate. A little more than I would've liked but honestly to now have a reliable car it was worth it.

Great information shared. . .

Thread Information