Thread: Need whiskers?

CelicaSupra.com Member amir_zwara's Avatar
    Excited to get mine in!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Mr Whisker's Avatar
    Please post pics when installed.

Not sure when I'll be pouring more, since once I open the jar, I have to keep going as the product has a very limited shelf life. After pour I allow them to cure a full three weeks.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Whisker View Post
    Please post pics when installed.
    Look how flexible these are! I balled it up in my fist then just dropped it and it snapped right back into shape.

Only took a few minutes to install. Mr Whisker supplied new clips, they're different than the OEM clips but just as good, if not better. I used four of the old clips and four new ones and will see if one type holds up better than the other. Rut, I think they'll both be fine.

When installed there are no rough edges exposed at all - they look like new OEM! Smooth!
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Excellent!!

It`s through the support from members like you that these parts can even be developed...thanks for posting

I will likely be making more of these for a September sale. It takes about 3 weeks from start to finish (full cure) and when I open the pail, I have to keep going because it has a very short shelf life. The current mould will probably only accept a dozen more sets before I have to make a new one...whiskers anyone?

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I ordered a "B" set just to have and can say that they are incredibly flexible, I'm saving them for when the ones on my car crumble to dust
    Well Done Mr. Whisker.
    --
    tstefan
    Hidden Content

3d printing cf whiskers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Whisker View Post
    ... I can definitely see how moulding and fabricating can benefit the CS.com community, particularly with discontinued parts. Until 3D printing comes of age, old school methods still work with new-age materials. Maybe I was being a little overambitious, but my original thought was to have MkII whiskers done up in carbon fiber. Real carbon fiber and fiberglass have their performance perks and a certain cosmetic appeal, but unless fitment is dead-on, their relative hardness can be problematic.
    This technology is awesome, just the right size for whiskers:

I want this gizmo, but at $5500 it's still a little steep. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Mark II version...

We tried printing whiskers, but the problem with current 3D printing technology is the overhang. The regular plastic cannot support itself and it sags or de-laminates.

I have an alternative option: polyurethane cf style whiskers

These are prototypes, still a little rough, but I'm considering pouring another set of moulds if there is serious interest. Unfortunately, I can only pull 10 sets before the cf twill pattern fades, so it will be an exclusive offer. I am looking at $80 shipped.

If anyone wants a set of OEM style whiskers, can do too.

CelicaSupra.com Member austintaco's Avatar
    UPS or FedEx stores are going to have 3d printers available in the near future. Man, those look great! I'm in for the next set of poly whiskers.

Here's pics from another test set I made:

Have you installed yours yet Tanya?

Quote Originally Posted by austintaco View Post
    UPS or FedEx stores are going to have 3d printers available in the near future. Man, those look great! I'm in for the next set of poly whiskers.
    I'd need at least 10 committed buyers before I consider pouring another set of moulds. I've spent enough already. Unfortunately it looks like this will be another project shelved

Thread Information