Results 11 to 20 of 126
12-22-2015, 12:39 PM #11
Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
01-03-2016, 09:29 AM #12
- Join Date
- Jun 2013
- England, UK
George, I've been interested in a non-metal sunroof panel for a long time now (practically since I got the car). I've been looking at fibreglass, but the CF one has caught my attention. Just want to clarify a couple of details.
I've heard that you can't paint carbon-fibre (or at least effectively); whilst the CF look is cool on a modern performance car, I would want mine to look stock, which means a (top) coat of Toyota 040 and no clue as to it being CF underneath. Is this doable?
Also, can you ship to Europe, specifically England?
If not, I'll pursue the fibreglass one. Best of luck with this!
01-03-2016, 12:44 PM #13
CF can be painted, but the prep work involved can be extensive. I have personally seen it done on a CF hood and while it was hard to tell it was CF underneath the prep work was almost as much as the hood.
I can ship to the UK, I have a couple of others who are interested and hoping I can get quotes in the next week.
Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
01-05-2016, 04:34 PM #14
If its not a rough, "dry" carbon style layup, why would you not be able to just simply apply a coat of primer, sand and then paint? Paint prep wise it should be no more work then repainting a normal, metal sunroof that has no significant paint damage. The surface on my CFX hood and all of the Advan hoods I've seen are a perfectly smooth, wet lay up done with vacuum bagging. Or are they doing the sunroofs different?
I'm tempted to get one of these too just to help this GB succeed. I do have a mk2 with sunroof but I've already got a restored metal one using my techniques for it.
Word to the wise for those of you with "rust free" original, oem sunroofs who think you won't ever need a composite one. I bet you at least 60 percent of you would be shocked to find out that if you removed your sunroof and then you removed the sunroof seal you would find very noticeable rust that hasn't yet extended outside of the seal. The other 40 percent would probably find some starting between the spot welds or on the inside of the liner if you actually ever separated it from the outer panel. I did a run refinishing the metal sunroofs at one point and was surprised to find out how much bare metal is on these roofs. They will ALL rust eventually. If you have a sunroof car, get one of these and stash it for when you need it. If this GB doesn't go through, there will not be source for these when that time comes.
Last edited by SupraFiend; 01-08-2016 at 11:59 AM.Black 86 mk2 Project Car
New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!
01-06-2016, 07:46 AM #15
I'm getting ready to drop the payment in full but I'm not seeing a large turnout. If this does not go through is the money refunded on the posted end date? I'm very interested on getting my hands on this.
01-06-2016, 08:30 AM #16
01-06-2016, 09:01 AM #17
Butterflies in my stomach just thinking about not making this one. My sunroof is literally coming apart, and it just falls short of raining in my car. I have shared twice on facebook, the latter to some really disparaging remarks along the lines of "why should I contribute when no one else is" Le huh? How did we get a hood and hatch group buy but the sunroof one is struggling?
Should I share with the mk3 Celica guys too? I literally NEED this to happen D:
01-06-2016, 09:22 AM #18
Alright, I'm paid in full.
01-06-2016, 08:49 PM #19
So T...are you saying people don't want to buy...cause nobody is buying? I've heard that logic before and makes no sense. Regardless, we are almost half way there and I'm VERY confident we'll get the numbers we need. There are a few key people in the gauging interest thread who have not yet paid, aaaan there are the standard group of people who always vote on interest threads and never buy too...but I wouldn't worry. If we get close I will do what I can to make this happen.
01-06-2016, 10:04 PM #20
I shouldn't need to point who the dumbass was who claimed that was the issue, since I deleted his posts and blocked him for like the 50th time since 2005.
From what I gather from another post I made is that it's just a bad time for people who are broke until tax time, which is usually the same boat I am in.
FWIW My hood is nearing 3 years old and almost all of the gelcoat has faded off. We're going to attempt to "restore" and recoat it again in the next month or so. If all else fails, it will get dipped or wrapped or something. I will probably do the same to the sunroof right out of the box.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)