Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Which Motor

GB 2016 AC Kit Interest Poll

28K views 114 replies 39 participants last post by  JCC 
#1 ·
Folks;

since Jim can't post a POLL I'm posting this on his behalf...he will be running this group buy. Any and all questions (with the exception of Canadian Shipping) will go through him and here is the text he gave me:

IMPORTANT: Pricing has not been confirmed for condensers. It all depends on how many kits are actually ordered.

Your vote is public. Only vote if you are going to proceed with the buy.
If you voted and fail to proceed with the GB, your screen name will be prominently listed as a no-show.

Features:
o Supports R134a
o Fits either 5M or 7M motor
o Support for 1J/2J motor
o All new parts. It replaces all parts from the firewall evaporator connectors to compressor.
o Most all replacement parts are easily available.
o Engineered for durability, safety and future serviceability.

What you get
o Brand new compressor (5M or 7M configuration only) o For 1J/2J compressors, possibility of a premium rebuilt NipponDenso with external warranty.
o All new hard and soft lines, o-rings and a squirt bottle of Nylog for o-ring sealing o Inline AC filter.
o High / Low pressure automatic cut off switch.
o Spal low profile fan
o Custom Multi-pass parallel flow condenser

Price
o $950US which includes shipping in the lower 48.
o Possibility for Canadian Shipments will go through George(Raptor Racing). Extra fees will apply.

Spare Parts for any existing kit
o Condenser: $115 + shipping
o New Seltec Compressor $250 + shipping

Production Schedule
I can only say that this project would be completed this summer. I’m guessing sometime in August. So you’ll get to enjoy 2-3 months of AC comfort.
Then when it rains, you will have the fastest defogger.

Notes
The price went up for various reasons. Several AC parts suppliers and fabricators I used before are no longer in business.
Plus I have to outsource a good amount of this.

1/2JZ buyers do not get a compressor in this kit. They need to secure their own NipponDenso compressor.

Improvements since last kit
o Revised drier bracket.
o All lines welded (not brazed)
o Improved mating connector between evaporator and EPR.

Voting options
o 5/6M
o 7M
o 1JZ / 2JZ

See less See more
#35 ·
Jim, Considering the only difference between a JZ and and 7M kit is the lines and compressor, would you be willing to sell those?

Fun fact that might be worth considering - crimped high-pressure hoses (hydraulic etc.) do have a shelf life if they aren't used within a period of time...any thoughts on that?

Just thinking a lot of customers, myself included might not be with a 7M forever and it could save us some trouble if wanting to convert in the future - either making custom lines, tracking down sizes or modifying a 2j bracket to fit a 7m compressor...

On another note, would you be willing to publish specs for some of the perishable items (like O-rings, compressors, sensors?) such as part numbers or dimensions? I understand some of it is your IP or custom, but If you became unavailable for some reason, it would be nice to know what replacement parts we need to buy!

#36 ·
The o-rings are standard size AC tube O fittings. Any parts store should sell a multi pack set that has all the sizes needed. Also there is no 2JZ bracket to modify. The 2JZ ac compressor bolts directly to the block.

#40 ·
(fyi, I don't get notified on forum post updates).

Based on the vote count, this looks doable. I have to contact a 3rd party to determine costs,
primarily for the condenser.

To answer some questions...

If you bought a 7M kit, then later changed to 2J motor, you would have to buy the NipponDenso pad
to threaded adapters (on Ebay), and have 2 new hoses made up (the ones that go between the
compressor and condenser).

Most synthetic's (rubber, urethane) can be exposed to shelf life issues. Even tires have a shelf life.
Worst case, you damage a hose, most any trucking AC shop can make you a new flexible hose.
I only buy the premium hose for this kit. Though most would only expect that from me. :)

I list all the parts and sources. Almost everything is off the shelf. I designed it that way to avoid
being the AC replacement parts guy. :)

#46 ·
Current update.

I've sourced 99% identical condensers. Same originating company. Price went up. Factoring normal inflation, not all that bad.

The only issue is they are un-painted.

I'm going to assume most want them black, as the original GB looks almost like a factory retro-fit.
Plus it allows some longevity protection.

I have to make some calls to see who can paint them appropriately. Materials, labor, etc.

#47 ·
Your vote is public. Only vote if you are going to proceed with the buy.
If you voted and fail to proceed with the GB, your screen name will be prominently listed as a no-show.
This ^^^ should have been posted with the poll. When I saw the poll and voted--I was new on the forum--I just assumed it was a preference thing, just to see what people liked the most in their Supras. Not a... "this is me committing to an AC kit for this motor type of deal." :SM130 (1):

Please be more specific other than simply saying..."Which Motor?"
Which motor what? Do I like? Do I want? One that makes a better breakfast?

And since I voted having no idea what it was about, I chose the only motor I had at the time, a 5m. I guess now that I voted, I'm in it to win it or be marked as a "NO-SHOW"...I'm switching it to a 7m-gte. And since no one commented on my switch request post, I'll say it again. WRITE ME DOWN FOR A 7M-GTE.

Please have more clarity in the poll next time around.

#48 ·
Or you could read the lengthy post associated with the poll, like everybody else. Heck, just the thread title might cut it.

Why put so much effort into your post in the first place? to try and convince yourself you didn't make a mistake? Just be accountable and say you screwed up.

Relax. It's not a big deal.

#58 ·
George/Jim,

I'm interested in running R134a (since R12-compatible gas is drying up over here). I know this kit's going to be heavy, but what are the chances of shipping to the UK? Also, I see references to the price increasing, is $950 the current price? (I accept the price could increase in future).

I've been told there could be a small leak in my condensor, so replacement would be useful. The one thing I don't see mentioned is the receiver/dryer, does the kit include a replacement one of these?

#59 ·
I really would like to have working a/c in my 7MGTE swapped MK2. The weather in Florida is already quite hot and very humid. Is there anything I can do to help get this group buy up and going? I am more than happy to help out! Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.