Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

'85 Air Intake in pieces...

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  juddmancoony 
#1 ·
Hi all, my first question might be a doozy.

I was having trouble starting my '85 MKII the other day. Long story short, the plastic duct that connects on top the of the engine is cracked in several places. I'm looking to replace it with somehow. Old parts or new, I just need it running for now.

(Against my better judgement, I passed on a whole intake on Ebay last year 'cause I thought "I don't have room for that...") Anyway, after much internet searching, I've seen the Raptor racing intakes, but nothing else. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on those?

Plan A was a used part. Plan B was for an aftermarket part. After plan A or B, comes plan F-and-J, for "Flex Tape" and JB Weld...

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Dale.

#4 ·
It worked! The first pic is the (plastic?) intake duct that normally sits directly on top of the engine. (Also normally 1 piece I think...) The second is a lower rubber-type section that is coming apart as well. I have the rest of the components (Air cleaner etc) but those seem intact.

#5 ·
I've had pretty good luck with gluing the plastic portions back together again. I'd first make a reinforcing sleeve of thin aluminum around the entire perimeter and glue to the inside of the center piece, let that cure, then glue the ends back on, then its better than new. Of course duct tape works in a pinch when it breaks in between Midland and El Paso (don't ask me how I know that). But looks like yours has the "feet" and part of one hose nipple missing. I may have some of the rubber pieces if tstefan doesn't. I can rummage through some boxes over the weekend. Just let me know.

#6 ·
Lol. Yeah, those middle-of-nowhere fixes are the most memorable...
Thanks for looking. It sounds like this is a common problem, so I feel a little better. I like the idea of a metal form inside the body where the pieces join. That does sound like it would hold well. The feet are gone, but the hose nipple is still in the hose. I entertained the idea of putting everything in my dishwasher to degrease it, but I'm pretty sure my wife would shoot me.

I'll be working and out of pocket for a couple of days, so I probably will be a little slow to respond to anything till the weekend.

Thanks for the info tstefan and pdupler.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
LI entertained the idea of putting everything in my dishwasher to degrease it, but I'm pretty sure my wife would shoot me.
I live in a very old house and for years had a portable dishwasher cabinet on casters. You can still buy them at specialty appliance stores. But when I remodeled the kitchen and installed a new dishwasher with the new cabinets, I kept the old one out in the shop just for washing parts. I hook up the water hose to it, pour in a cup of Simple Green and let it drain into the yard. Works pretty decent, not great, but better than doing as much manually. I always scrape as much of the thick crud off as possible first. This one pre-heats its own water and I think that's kind of a critical feature. But yeah, it kind of leaves a "ring" and would not be very appetizing to use it for dishes afterward.

#7 ·
That hard plastic piece can be epoxied back together and rubber flex hose can be replaced with a 45 deg and some silicone flex couplers. There's a lot of homemade intake pipe if you want to be creative using PVC pipe, flex hose, etc.

#13 ·
Its been too long, and my memory is starting to fail me, but probably just the common stuff that's sold in those twin-tube dispensers at the hardware stores because that's probably what I had lying around. The only bad thing is the two parts are not the same viscosity and so its hard to squirt out the same amount despite the nifty syringe so I usually take a razor blade and separate the plungers. I tend to keep a couple of those in stock at all times tho I prefer the longer setting stuff to give myself more working time. That five minute stuff winds up congealed on the mixing board before I can get it all spread out where I want it. I once bought some larger bottles thinking that I was saving money and that it would be easier to dispense equal amounts, but I think that stuff kind of has a shelf life as if I don't use it all up in a couple of years, it seems to thicken, making it harder to dispense and mix plus it seems to take way longer to cure. So despite the drawbacks, I just buy those little syringes now so that at least I've got fresh chemistry when I need it.

They've actually got now an epoxy specially for plastics. It's probably got a little bit of acetone or something in it to kind of temporarily melt or soften the plastic and let the epoxy get a better bite. I haven't tried any yet but it seems like I recall somebody posted about it here on this forum in reference to repairing plastic parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.