Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Ever since I saw some assorted seats at a local all toyota yard a while back - I've been thinking of using the '00+ GT/ GTS seats in different older celicas and supras. They are impressively light, simple and look decent - a great option to replace trashed original seats or a cheaper light seat. I weighed them and they are right around 25-28lbs (compared to the p-type seats that weigh about 45lbs). One thing I found out while looking into doing this was that some of these seats have optional side air bags so they might be heavier and cost more.
I mentioned using the GTS seats to Forrest (LnumbP) after he bought Andrews (MooSeviSion1) '86 since the leather p-type seats were trashed and he said he wanted to try it. I just finished it early this morning and thought I'd share.

Here is a quick write up on how I did it but just be clear, this is just one way out of a dozen ways to do this. After discussing this w/ Forrest, this ended up being the best way since it was probably the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to get these installed; it didnt require any welding or major custom fabrication - mainly just some modification to the GTS seat tracks.
I started by cutting off the pin that is on the bottom of the front side of the track, then bending the braket to match the MKII seats. Also needed to oval out the holes slightly (the seat tracks are almost the same distance apart but the mounting brakets are not).

On the back, the GTS seats are completely different - I drilled out the rivets and spot welds and removed them all together.

The rails are almost spot on to the original rear mounting holes - its just that the GTS rails are longer. I just cut away the top side of the rail to allow access for the bolt and drilled a new mounting hole. You can also cut off the extra length of the track at the rear - it will work either way. Lastly - I ground the head of the rear bolts down some to clear the seat track when it is slid back.
It all sounds simple enough, which it is - just tedious and time consuming.

The GTS seats have the belt buckle on the seat - at first I was just going to use the original MKII set up and took the GTS buckle off but after seeing the seat installed and thinking of the different set ups - I decided to take the MKII buckle and set it up like the GTS and attach it to the seat. Either way would work, but having the buckle on the seat is a better set up and a cleaner install.

This is the original GTS buckle;

This is the MKII one installed. I didnt get a pic of it but there is a trim cover that goes over all this...

Here they are installed. In the first pic, you can see how trashed the leather p-type seats are. Also, I didnt do the driverside belt buckle yet, its still the original MKII set up.

Overall, a huge improvement! They are really comfortable and pretty supportive (not as good as the p-type seats cranked all the way in though). The color match is perfect (pics dont show it that well). As far as I know, the GT seats come in black/ grey cloth, black/ red cloth, or black/ blue cloth w/ black leather as an option - and GTS's all pretty much had black leather. The red and blue cloth is very subtle - just an accent. I'm not sure what these seats go for other places, but I was able to get these for Forrest for $150 - I know the yard well so I'm assuming I got a decent deal (though I didnt check anywhere else to compare; but my yard is local and had them).
Drove it around a bit when finished and they work nice. Forrest is taking a long trip to the beach this weekend so I'm sure he'll have some decent feedback by the time he gets back.
Wasnt sure if this should be in the picture section or the interior section - feel free to move it if needed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Are these seats taller than MKII seats? I had put a set of Integra seats in my car once and the mounting was similar to what you just did. I ended up taking them out after about a week though because they were too tall on the bottom. I was hitting my head getting in and out of the car, all the time. If these seats are the same height as the MKII seats that would be awesome. They should be much easier to find in good shape than 20+ year old seats.

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
Decent looking seats, they look ok in the mk2, just not diggin' it with the stock back seats. Looks way off...

Great pics tho Damon :)

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decent looking seats, they look ok in the mk2, just not diggin' it with the stock back seats. Looks way off...

Great pics tho Damon :)
Yeah, I hear what you're saying but anything would be better than his original front seats - they are terrible (down to the metal frame in many places). Plus, w/ a quick glance in person, it really isnt that noticeable. I should check out if the GTS rear seats could be made to work... Maybe just get the seat covers and transfer them on the MKII rear seats so it matched -hmmm... I'll have to go down and check it out.

Are these seats taller than MKII seats? I had put a set of Integra seats in my car once and the mounting was similar to what you just did. I ended up taking them out after about a week though because they were too tall on the bottom. I was hitting my head getting in and out of the car, all the time. If these seats are the same height as the MKII seats that would be awesome. They should be much easier to find in good shape than 20+ year old seats.
Checked that out as well - it was certainly a concern. Overall - the seats are about the same height (if looking at the top of the head rest) - the GTS seats are about an inch higher maybe. But as far as the seat bottom height compared to the MKII - its just about the same as well - tough to say exactly. I'd say that the passenger seat might be slightly higher that the p-type seat, if at all - but the GTS drivers seat bottom is height adjustable - you can raise or lower it probably a full 1.5-2" so it is not an issue at all. Honestly, the P-type seats are tough to beat - but these can be found in decent shape, are reasonably priced, look decent and fit pretty nice w/ just a little work.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how is ole Dietzie?
oh brother :duh: that guy is nuts lol. W/ out 'Biker Bill' there, its even more of a mad house than normal. Chris and I were up there a few weeks ago...
I actually didnt get the seats there though -he typically doesnt have anything that new. This yard is down the street from Mandys parents and deal w/ newer toys. Its called Woodwards but they just sold it and will now be doing other brands as well which sucks. I've been going there since '93 or so - I went to school w/ some of their kids and have bought tons of stuff there over the years.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's great to hear the seat bottoms are the same height. I think that's one of the hardest parts about doing a seat replacement in a Celica or Supra. The seats are so low to the floor, with the brackets going on the side and everything, almost any other seat you try to put in sits too tall. I'm gonna have to try and find myself a set fo newer seats now.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's great to hear the seat bottoms are the same height. I think that's one of the hardest parts about doing a seat replacement in a Celica or Supra. The seats are so low to the floor, with the brackets going on the side and everything, almost any other seat you try to put in sits too tall. I'm gonna have to try and find myself a set fo newer seats now.
The way I modded the seats to fit in the MKII, I think its about as low as you could get them since they're sitting right on the rails themselves. Its nice that the DS seat is adjustable - the range is pretty much as well so it should work for just about everyone.
The yard I got the seats from had a few other sets - only 1 other set that were cloth though (blue accents) - but had several sets of leather seats. I asked how much the leather ones were for the pair but I cant remember what he told me :duh: If you are interested, I can find out for you - just LMK.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eek! Deff not something i would do. The stock MK2 seats own all.
I fully agree - the p-type seats are pretty tough to beat, but when your original seats are more like an iron maiden - its not a bad option...

Oh yeah?.. Ive dealt with Orrin Woodwards of Sumneytown a few times!!! Sad to hear they wont be an exclusive Toyota yard anymore.
yep, they sold the place to some guy who has a yard in Philly - he bought both yards, all the inventory and equipment. Both brothers dont really have anything to do w/ it any more - just a few of the old staff still there which really sucks for me - I was friends w/ 2 of the dismantlers and been dealing w/ Pete Woodward from way back. So they still have a ton of toyota inventory, but havent had any more toyotas come in since the buy out. From what they tell me, much of the newer 'parts' cars (toyotas and hondas) are heading overseas and the prices are just getting out of reach for the smaller outfits. damn shame...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yeah i'm working on coming to toronto guys... So did anyone notice my boxer shorts in the back of my car in the very first photo? If that's not awkward... :) These seats felt great during the ride to and from the shore, all thought they probably could use to be more supportive around my lower back. All in all though they felt much nicer than my original seats (due to their condition i assume), and were neither too firm nor too soft. Basically, my legs were tired long before my ass fatigued from sitting so long. One issue i've noticed thus far is that the seats do not slide back and forth properly. The drivers seat no longer moves at all although it did when damon put it in. I would imagine with a little more tweaking this problem will be worked out.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have a set of Honda EP hatch seats for one of mine...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts