Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

have yet to bother polishing the lips yet, but something is out of round/balance as the car shakes badly with these on. I'm still VERY happy with them though, the lips are in EXCELLENT condition. No bends or any curb rash.

I have no idea what brand these are. the caps say American Racing, but the mesh looks very close to Enkei. I suppose they're knock offs? No clue on the offset either but they look like a better fit than my Enkei 92s, or maybe that's the illusion of the wider tires.

At any rate, I'm very happy! Hopefully can get rid of this horrendous shake, it almost hurts to hold the steering wheel, lol.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Nicely done!

Congratulations on the impressive score.

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wheels have one visible number "15" which I don't know refers to diameter or offset. It has other numbers like carved in but they don't make any sense.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
tayna check the back of the rim in the upper part of the rim
or another location is inside of the lip on the rear
but otherwise nice score i got my nekie 92's with caps for 100

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah... I know this... I'm not completely stupid.

My friend is telling me I may need hub centric rings for them, there is a gap between the hub piece and the inside of the wheel's hole there. I keep reading that most people don't use hub rings and don't have issues, I just find it hard to believe my car is shaking THIS badly from just a little out of balance or a flat spot or two. it's so outrageous.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts

My friend is telling me I may need hub centric rings for them, there is a gap between the hub piece and the inside of the wheel's hole there. I keep reading that most people don't use hub rings and don't have issues, I just find it hard to believe my car is shaking THIS badly from just a little out of balance or a flat spot or two. it's so outrageous.
4 centercaps FTW!!

Oh, you should def run the rings. I'm sure they are American Racing...they made some of those in the 80s fo sho. They actually looks pretty badass on a 4 lug Stang (4x107.95mm)

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mike!

Definitely pleased they have all the caps, though I painted over the silver AR emblem, thought it looked ugly.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Tanya-

One time I pulled off onto the shoulder of the road for a few minutes and (unknown to me) picked up some spilled road tar on the front passenger tire (one patch across the width of the tire) along with some sand that stuck to the tar. Once I pulled back onto the road and started to get up to normal speed, the front of the car started shaking like super major crazy and I was like "What the...!". Pulled BACK off the road, got out and took a look-see. Saw the patch of tar right off the bat but thought "Naw, surely THAT little bit of mass is not causing THIS much shaking!". Scraped off most of it, got back in the car, started back down the road and the shaking was MUCH reduced (but not completely), but within a few minutes the remainder of the tar (most of it) had come off and balance was restored.

It was really surprising to me though just how much shaking the front of the car did with that patch of tar stuck to that passenger front tire. Was a lesson to me just how 'little' mass it takes to throw the balance off a tire/wheel. It was major bad shaking.

Earl

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, ok. Well when I have more gas I'm gonna find a parking lot to play in and maybe round out any flat spots in the tires. And hopefully find a friend who can properly balance them... will be looking into getting hub rings as well.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Its hit or miss. I'm confident that you wont find 1 wheel shop that recommends you do NOT run hub rings with wheels that were made to accept them.

Im not running any hub rings on my wheels and dont have any issues (shakes or vibrations or anything). I do frequently check that all lugs are properly tightened (and the acorn lugs kinda help keep the wheel centered).

I do plan on getting some eventually tho.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I hate how all these noobs think you know nothing about what to look for Tanya. I bet you want to smack them. I sure would.

Nice score, they look great on your car, good luck with the shaking issue.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Its hit or miss. I'm confident that you wont find 1 wheel shop that recommends you do NOT run hub rings with wheels that were made to accept them.
Ya, if they are supposed to use rings, thats probably why they vibrate. Jack each wheel and try to recenter them. You can do it without the rings, but they have to be centered very well. Thats what I'd put my money on if they vibrate, but it still could belt/balance issue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts