Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just got my foglights working properly two weeks ago or so. Fuse was blown, both lights burnt out, wiring screwed up. Fixed it all and installed 100w bulbs. Now it keeps blowing fuses. Should I just put a bigger fuse in because the load is now bigger or is that bad??

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i only suggest the 55w H3 bulbs as replacements as the 100w are too much for the system, if you replace it with 55's and you still get blown fuses then your problem is not completely fixed, you could also install a circuit breaker(really cheap can pick'em up at autozone) and then tried to find out whats causing it, but i would go with switching the bulbs back to 55w, considering they are only like 3.50 or so.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
I agree w/ Gera here. Replacing the fuse is not going to do didly squat, you will keep blowing fuses. As mentioned in the past, the WIRING is only equiped to handle the normal 55W bulbs. The most you can try is 85W bulbs, but 100W bulbs will kill your fuses for sure. MKIII's have this same problem. Peeps keep putting in 100W bulbs in their fogs & they don't understand why they keep blowing fuses.... It's the wiring!!!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I upgrade the wiring, I should be okay, along with a bigger fuse? What would that entail?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I rewired mine completely and added a relay into the system. basically, use the stock wiring as the switch signal for the relay, and run some good wire from batt to relay, then to fogs.

Christian

·
Registered
67 Posts
100W Fogs

I've had 100W bulbs for almost a year and haven't had any of the other supposed problems. I may have them over-fused, but I'll have to check my fusebox when my wife gets back home with the Baby.

I'm on my 3rd MkII and the 1st I ever had didn't like 100W fogs because heat would build-up in the housing with the anti-glare shields. I removed the anti-glare shields from the latest MKIIs and haven't had any trouble.

You need to make sure water doesn't get inside the assembly, too, or that will blow bulbs & fuses...

·
Registered
245 Posts
i work on electronic equipment (tv's, dvd ,cd, and so on) and we get people all the time checking the fuse in their TV's. they see the fuse blown so they put in the same size, blows again. lets say they had a 4amp in there and then they put a 10amp. now the set comes on only because that bigger fuse takes longer to blow then the 4amp. in the time that it takes the 10 amp to blow other things are being burnt up due to the fact that the set is only rated for a 4amp, which is intended to blow quicker so less damage would be done to the set. this would cause more problems for you down the line if you put in a bigger fuse. if you put in a smaller fuse most of the time it would not be able to handle the current coming, through making it blow. wiring like the other guys said is a big issue to. but you could always use OHMS law and some other formulas to help figure out what gauge wire and fuse you need.

hope this helps

jeremy

·
Registered
174 Posts
errrhhmmm... I put in 100w bulbs... everything works fine... been running like that for months.

is it year specific?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
no all mk2's had 55w H3 bulbs, they may work fine for now, but you may start over heating the system and causing damage to wires, heck some people may go for years but if you do the math, you should upgrade your wire gauge and the whole circuit to accomodate for the increase in the circuits load.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I put 100w bulbs in over 5 yrs ago and have replaced them once last year,,, never ahd any fuses blow,, or any other electrical malfunction

Rock/

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
OK I didnt know where else to ask this but I was hopeing someone can shed some light here for me. Hehe Get it. Light Haha ERM yeah here we go.

OK sence the MK2 has a 55w range would these be ok to run.

H4 SUPER PLASMA GT-X in spacfic.
http://piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html

and

H3 SUPER PLASMA GT-X
http://piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H3.html

Thx ahead of time.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
those look like they would work....if they dont get too hot

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's the setup I'm running, the headlights are not in right now because I got a hole in my conversion housings, but the fogs still are and are great. (I removed my diffusers also)

Probably half the city night driving I do I use only the fogs.

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
For the price I went to Walmart and got the H4s/9004 by Sylvania Cool Blues very white light better than the Hella bulbs I had in there, price was +/- $28 for the pair.

I'm using the Neo lite lenses from Classicgarage.com

http://www.classicgarage.com/20recheadrep.html and we get 10% off using "supragroup" in the discount code

·
Registered
987 Posts
I actually do not, but I can grab one for ya and will get it up tomorra night of just the fogs.
Here is a pic of the color you get with the GTX bulbs (in a H4 conversion housing without diffuser). Camera shows a slight purplish hue... never seen them myself from distance, but friends tell me they look a bluish/purple hue bright white

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
i used 100Watters, no fuse issues, but i found that they burnt out much sooner than using 55watters. my guess is due to the extra heat produced.

55's are almost as bright on stock wiring anyways, If i relayed the fogs i expect that the 100's would get much brighter.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think intensity of light depends on the housing you choose, i found the lows to be very nice and evenly spread, a lot of time with the low beams on, I never needed the foglights unless I shittier conditions (wet road/fog), the high beams were very intense white.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
Read carefully, it draws 55Watts of power, thus making the almost the equivalent in heat, but producing the equivalent brightness of a 100Watts bulb.
They consume the same power = No problems to be had with wiring/fuses.

I have the Xtreme White Plus ones myself, H3 in the fogs, and H4 in Euro Hellas.
Have not had the opportunity to try them at night yet !!! (car in under cover for winter)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts