Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 Cressida Wagon, 5MGE stock engine. I bought it 6 years ago with around 80,000 miles on it so I didn't really know what work had been done.

I only drive it about once a week now but lately acceleration has been really poor, lots of hesitation as such. I wasn't quite sure where to start but I had a hunch the whole ignition system was original and at 129,000 miles it was waay overdue for replacement.

Just replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor and - wow. So much better. The new rotor has about 1/4" more material on each end of the blade than the original! No wonder it was struggling. All OEM replacement parts except the plugs which are single tip platinums from Advance Auto.

So easy and inexpensive, only about $50 for all the parts and the work was done in about an hour. Now I can push it up into the 5Krpm range with ease. Should also help with the fuel economy during regular driving too.

Just wish I had done this a couple years ago when I did all the gaskets and seals. I guess I should also replace the actual spark plug wires (which are also original) but things seem to be fine at the moment even with that.

Pretty amazing how long these engines can go without any maintenance. And just so nobody thinks I'm crazy- I do regular oil changes, not running with the original filter or anything like that...

·
Registered
464 Posts
yea mine is a 86 5m, and it has the original distributor cap and it has 245,000, i just replaced the sparkplug wires, got the good stuff ha platinum! but my sparkplug boots was dry rotted and cracked and it started missing at bout 2500 rpm but not any more!! it runs like a champ now!!!! bout to have a 7mgte dropped in er, whenever i get it built!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I guess I could have left the original cap on there and just replace the rotor, but for $20 something bucks I think it was worth it.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
impossible that they were original parts.......how did you verify with 100% certainty that they were the ORIGINAL pieces

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
I think he's pullin' someone's leg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
impossible that they were original parts.......how did you verify with 100% certainty that they were the ORIGINAL pieces
Are you asking me or Treece-mk2supra?

While I cannot say with 100% certainty that they were all original parts, my hunch was based on the fact that the wires are dated 1987, it is printed on each wire. The plugs were very worn. The plastic housing around the cap was also in perfect condition, suggesting that it had never been removed. I have seen where it can break if someone is not careful when they remove it to replace the wires or the cap/rotor.

Platinum tipped spark plugs are supposedly rated for 100,000 miles so this would be about 30% above that, not an extreme stretch of the imagination to think that they would work for that long.

So no, I cannot guarantee that they were original since I didn't own the car from the start, but it is not impossible that they were original.

·
Registered
464 Posts
well i bought it from my uncle, and he was the only owner, and i kno for a fact it has original wires, and im pretty sure its the original distributor.. sure looks like it is. but i could be wrong. he baby'd the car. i dont ha ha

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Wires are marked with the year. If wires are original, dizzy probably is too.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Are you asking me or Treece-mk2supra?

While I cannot say with 100% certainty that they were all original parts, my hunch was based on the fact that the wires are dated 1987, it is printed on each wire. The plugs were very worn. The plastic housing around the cap was also in perfect condition, suggesting that it had never been removed. I have seen where it can break if someone is not careful when they remove it to replace the wires or the cap/rotor.

Platinum tipped spark plugs are supposedly rated for 100,000 miles so this would be about 30% above that, not an extreme stretch of the imagination to think that they would work for that long.

So no, I cannot guarantee that they were original since I didn't own the car from the start, but it is not impossible that they were original.

what kind of plugs did you pull out of the motor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts