Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 13" rim fit over our calipers? What, offhand, is the MINIMUM inner rim diameter we can have? I would LOVE to get some 13x8.5 running some 225/45-13 Hoosiers for autox. Would lower my center of gravity, give me more width for increased control, and give me a better gearing. Not to mention just being ultracool.

--BillyM

·
Registered
202 Posts
lol...your too much into autox :lol: I think the only way...is to try it, get a cheap stock 13" rim off a honda or something and drill holes to line up the lug pattern just to check...finding a 13" rim will probally be a piece of cake...then go from there! 8) It would give you a better gravity at that!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Already tried

Had a parts car I wanted to get rims off, had 13" rims with proper bolt pattern...no go; calipers WOULD NOT clear.

HTH

K

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm sure you can figure something out 8) Try and find one that looks like this sort of... (back)<[](front) if the back sticks out really far, it souldn't hit...if you trust someone at welding really nice...cut then weld something That could work...they don't have to be looking pretty for ur autox :wink:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
stick with 14s, the supra has this wonderful thing called torque. Dropping down to 13s on a mk2 won't do nearly as much as it would on an AE86, besides they won't fit. Better breaks will actually make you much faster then smaller wheels.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uhm, its just the matter of fact that a 13" rim in the same width will be better due to weight, car height, and tires being cheaper. Plus there are quite a few old 13x9's from back in the day, I have yet to find 14x9's. Its nice that you have this opinion, I was simply wondering if they would fit, not if they are logical or anything else.

And why exactly do I need better "breaks"? I can "break" to the point of locking my tires up whenever I want, why should I upgrade? Its like upgrading from the ct26 to a t66 for 7psi... WTF is the point?

--BillyM

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
And why exactly do I need better "breaks"? I can "break" to the point of locking my tires up whenever I want, why should I upgrade? Its like upgrading from the ct26 to a t66 for 7psi... WTF is the point?

--BillyM
Well...larger brakes have more modulation before lock up. Therefore less likely to lock up and more likely to stop. If your locking up your stock brakes regularily then an upgrade might be an idea. Slotted discs in the stock size. Or a big brake kit. We dont want you sliding into the back of somone do we :wink: I never lock up my brakes. It feels like a driver error when I do (ie not anticipating,not modulating,driving poorly).
14x7 alloy rims will probably weigh about the same as 13x9s and changing from 14" to 13" is like upgrading from a ct26 to T66 for 7 psi WTF is the point? :) My 245s were only 85 dollars CAN.each
-Wil

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
BRAKES, there happy? No need to be an ass, sorry if my post came off as a little sacrastic. I know exactly what you mean, I'm a bit into AutoXing myself, but Will pretty much hit it on the head with his reply.

Reducing rotating mass is great for making a car faster, but you won't notice the difference in weight savings between a 13 inch wheel and a 14 in your car and your lap times won't reflect it either. However improving your brakes will allow you to carry more speed into a corner and still slow down to the ideal speed for it. Better brakes will make your lap times faster. You may see a small difference in your quater mile with 13s over 14s but you won't in autox, at least not with a heavy torquey car like a mk2. Now people who race lightweights like the AE86 and AW11 swear the lightest smallest wheels they can find improve their lap times, but their cars are really light to start with and torqueless. I only brought up the "breaks" in case you were considering downsizing or modifing them to fit 13s. I personally think you'd be faster if you followed Don Lews lead and went to some really light 16s and then added Jim Kings big brake kit, but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frankly, without any ill intentions, I dont give a shit about anything other than does anyone know if 13" rims will fit. I dont want to have another stupid squabble of different products with negligible results aka twin vs single. I saw some 13x8.5's on ebay for pretty cheap. Flat out, only reason I asked. Some 235/50-13's would be cheaper, give good performance, and be fun as hell. They would be overall smaller for transporting to and from autox. Thus, will they fit? Dont have anything pertaining to that? Go start a 13vs14 thread, or brakes vs bigger tires in autox performance thread.

Sorry, frank just makes for a cleaner, clearer information, not trying to be an ass or anything.

--BillyM

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sorry if you felt overwhelmed by the responses but...you asks yer questions you takes yer answers. :lol:
Good luck with your project
-Wil

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
mommy daddy are you getting a divorce? cuz you guyz are always fight'in

:roll: :lol: :p

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry if this isn't exactly about if the 13s will fit or not but just out of curiosity why do you want to get a 8.5 or 9" wide wheel when you are only going to get 225 or 235 width tires? Seems to me a 7.5" wheel would work just fine and be lighter, hence less rotating mass. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Re: Already tried

kjurkic said:
Had a parts car I wanted to get rims off, had 13" rims with proper bolt pattern...no go; calipers WOULD NOT clear.

HTH

K
Look up man, we've gotten past your question. And putting smaller brakes on a car isn't really considered an "upgrade" by most. Sorry for trying to help

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RWDcelicadude, the widest rim per tire will give you the greatest cornering response.

As for Suprafiend, no, we havent. I have heard from one person with 13" rims who did not have a positive fitment, I have heard from noone else.

Zank, thx, needed that in here, gj on your post count.

--BillyM

·
Registered
247 Posts
It will also give you the greatest chance of pulling the bead off the wheel. I would stick with something a bit smaller and get the better grip. The only people I know of running wheel/tire combinations like that are drifters and they don't have much side load on the tire so they can get away with it. Just wouldn't want you to peel the tire off and damage your wheels and possibly your car in the ensuing spin.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RWDcelica, I think I'll be fine, thanks. I'll stick to what the tire is rated for and I think that will be safe enough.

BTW, anyone else know anything about 13" rims fitting or not?

--BillyM

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't think anyone has actually tried putting a 13" on a mk2 or a supra at that. :? the only thing you can do is posibally measure.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
13's don't fit. At least not the ones I tried. They didn't clear the calipers.
It's possible that another 13" wheel might fit, but I kinda doubt it.

HTH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts