Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about this. Not 100% sure of fitment with stock fans.. No trans cooler, but not a problem for manual's or those with external trans coolers like myself... Thoughts? Any issues other than fabricating new lower mounts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

CXRacing Aluminum Radiator

For TOYOTA 86-92 SUPRA MKIII 7M-GTE 7MGTE

* Overall Size: 26"x18.25"x3"
* Core Size: 25"x15"x2.25"
* Inlet:1.38"
* Outlet:1.38"
* Rows: 2

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which intercooler did you go with and did you get a piping kit with it? Any images of your intercooler and piping setup?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Installed the above Megan into a Mk.II 1JZ car.. and they don't fit for shit.. you have to do some pounding cutting to get it to sit low enough. but for the money and if you don't mind where the drain petcock sits.. They aren't that bad. stock fan won't work ;)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I think all the cheep china rads fit like garbage...the the cxracing, megan and mishimoto.

it seems that everybody hears about them through a forum and everybody jumps on them and buys them. It's 4 months before the first guy puts one in his car and finds out it doesn't fit, meanwhile the community has bought a few hundred of them because people post up pictures that say "this thing looks good for the money!"

little do they know, "looks good" is far from "fits good"...

A lot of products are more expensive in our continent, because skilled labor tends to be expensive, and it takes time to have some measure of quality control. I bet even the prototypes for those discussed rads haven't been close to a supra at their shop. You get what you pay for with radiators, and I have never seen an exception to this rule.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
And that's why I bought a Griffin for my personal car. You really do get what you pay for. And that Radiator is worth every penny.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Lee, first off, glad to see you back.

My question is, OTHER than the mounting issues, what do you think of the quality of the Megan racing radiator??.
When I get my FFIM done, and do the battery relocation and IC/IC piping work I will be hacking some stuff up in the front anyways, making some new lower mounts for the radiator does not bother me.

I just dont want to buy it if the welds and shit are garbage...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
sorry guys to jump in this thread, me as a radiator technician or radiator man, i see that thing everyday, aluminum radiators tend to leak, specially if they are made in china, i see different brand every day LOYYO, CRS, CRYOMAX, you named.

those made in america are really good, some offer 10 year warranty, forgot the vendor name, but sooner or later they will leak, i saw one car with an aluminum radiator at the last meeting, i guess was Lee's supra, they used epoxy on the radiator headers, they put that to make sure it will not leak, but when they leaked, u have two option, u can melt that epoxy and just use an ice peak and play with it so the crack or leak spot will seal, or cut the tube (not recommended in our application).

to make a more efficient brass radiator will cost you a fortune (around ($300 to $400), nowadays you can put a two roows or three, staggered tubes, in angle and u will get a much better than stock oem. the difference, they can be fixable, hit marks, headers leaks, i do have to make some math to see how much do u gain doing that.

but the china shit is killing the market in brass radiators or already killed it, now i see brass cores only in off roads applications, trucks (kenworth, some freightliners), see how this ends.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
what would you recomend for a non aluminum radiator upgrade??
i do have to take my spare radiator and take some measurements, im thinking to put a bigger tube or a 2 rows, and add more fins.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I can go grab you measurments now if you need.
lol i am at home, and i dont have my core book with me, monday for sure i can tell you what can it be done and how much $$$$$$

·
Registered
244 Posts
can i ask a radiator question also? i need one that will fit the mkii, but will cool well enough for my 302 V8. that have upper and lower hoses as close as posible. thanx

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
can i ask a radiator question also? i need one that will fit the mkii, but will cool well enough for my 302 V8. that have upper and lower hoses as close as posible. thanx
i need to know year, model from the car the engine came off, to check measurements, an oem mkII will not do the job...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts