Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont get it i just got a 6m in and it feels sooooo much stronger than the tired out 5m

any who since ive gotten the 6m in i havent had a chance to take it to the track till tonight

the mods would be just 2.5 inch catback not mandrel bent and a two barrel straight through muffler which sounds great. i removed the air filter to increase intake flow but i thought i would do much better

my previous exhaust setup was i think 2 inch with a muffler that had a six inch hole in the side of it and it seems to me that with this setup the car had an extremely strong bottom end and now it lost the bottom end it had

here are my times

1st run

reaction time---.9363
60---------------2.4448
330--------------6.9743
1/8 et-----------11.0704
1/8mph---------61.65
1/4 et-----------17.2063
1/4mph---------80.44
before criticize i grinded in third(released clutch too soon) also had air filter on

2nd run

reaction time---.7010
60---------------2.5067
330--------------7.0826
1/8 et-----------10.9263
1/8mph---------64.96
1/4 et-----------16.8984
1/4mph---------82.16
decent run

3rd run

reaction time---1.0700
60---------------2.4994
330--------------7.1841
1/8 et-----------11.4607
1/8mph---------59.65
1/4 et-----------17.7194
1/4mph---------79.36
horrible run tried power shifting into third and screwed up

last run

reaction time---.6981
60---------------2.3964
330--------------6.9482
1/8 et-----------10.7759
1/8mph---------65.05
1/4 et-----------16.7371
1/4mph---------82.34
best run popped hood to get air to the afm

first run i was real anxious and excited so i really wasnt paying attention i think i was shifting at around 6000
after that i was shifting right after 5000 that is where it felt like the power band ended with the previous exhaust

this is my daily driver so i had the sub and spair tire and everything still in the car

please help me out i thought that the 6m was stronger than this

just a thought do you think that the i would benifit from the afm trick?

please any and all help would be greatly appreciated especially things like shifting points

thanx and sorry it was sooooo long

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
From everything I've read it's all about the 60' time. If you're serious about drag racing get some different tires specifically for that purpose and practice your launches.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What are your launches like? That is the key to your quarter times. My goal has always been to find the RPM that gives you just enough wheel spin to not bog down the engine, and nothing more. Anything more and you're wasting time. It's been a long time since I've drag raced, but IIRC my launches were around 2300rpms or something. Was able to get 16.0 on a 5mge w/ 170k miles.

Christian

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Those aren't too horrible of times. Your 60ft times are quite a bit better than mine :( . Some 6Ms just aren't quite as strong as others. Some people have thrown them in their car and make 150+ rwhp and some other get 135 rwhp (ballpark the same as a 5m). With low 80mph trap speeds you may be in the low hp category. Only one way to find out, dyno! MPHs are usually a good indicator of actual hp, and times are more technique. Your car sounds mostly stock so I really wouldn't expect much more than very low 16s from it even with a 6M. Stock MkIIs are what mid 16 sec cars from the factory? My guess is that 6Ms are about +15hp on a 5M, so its not a huge jump. I would recommend to keep practicing and vary your launching RPMs and shift points. Once you get to where the runs are consistent and not improving you can kinda say you've found your best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would definitely say its all about the launch, and as quick said, get some different tires and go out and work on your launches, good luck!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Your trap speeds are really low. Before my rebuild my car was making 138hp at the wheels and ran 85mph traps at 16.0* Im waiting for some cooler weather again to go back to the dyno and the strip to see what she will do. G-Tech is saying about 6 tenths faster and 5 more mph. Hot & humid August florida weather does nasty things to power! In a few more months it will be perfect though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx soo much for all the responds

i was launching at just above 2000 i tried it once above that and had to back off due to tremendous tire spin

one thing that i dont get is that i was chirping in third

can someone shine some light on the reason why it feels like it has less power with the 2.5 inch exhaust i know it decreased backpressure but i didnt think it would decrease it that much its only half an inch

also i didnt get any kills last night though there were a lot of ricers out there that were running low 17's and slower there was one sunfire out there that had a huge ricer wing on it that was running 19's and a civic that was running low seventeens. but for some reason the only cars i was pitted against ran 11, 12, 14, and 15 seconds the slowest was an integra and all i heard from that car was the turbo sppling right next to me

again thanx for the help it is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My best time so far was 15.0 sec. It was my first run of the night with my new set up. The second run was noticably stronger than the first run out of the hole. Problem was once I power shifted into second the diff mount busted. :(

Any how thats with the 6m. I'm only running BFG radials. Last year when the track was damp I managed a 15.3 sec run. there was tire spin gallore thru out 1st and most of 2nd.

Perhaps there may be some tuning involved to help out your times.Or I'm lucky and have a strong 6m :?:

Good Luck

Mark

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now i am turning on timing or intake leak but leaning towards timing due to a backfiring problem that claimed my last muffler

i think it is timing because during idle the car will "studder" (due to lack of better words)and it will get progessivly worse if i leave it unattended for about ten to fifteen minutes. it will start to fluctuate tremendouly between barely staying alive then bring itself back up to idle rpms and it has died once. it seems to be ok though when the ac is on.

if this is not a timing problem could it be an ignition problem?

i talked to a guy about this that i work with who is also a toyota mechanic said that the backfire is due to unburnt fuel in the exhaust gases then he asked me if it was measured with an afm but did not go into detail about why because we had to get back to work

and also this problem was present with the 5m as well

i tried to check the timing but for some reason i could not get it to get into the mode that it is supposed to be in by shorting those two wiresby the coil. i even cut off the connector and twisted the wires together and it still would not work. is there a certain order that you have to do things to get it into that mode?

and i would like to know why the 2.5 inch piping isnt working like i thought it would and why my idle dropped from 600 to 500 except when the ac is on then it goes up to 600

also my tires are inthe rear 235/60 cooper cobras and they were heated via burnout pit for about 5 or so seconds

lil' devil could you tell me what all you have done to your car and where you were shifting at and starting at out of the hole thanx

and thanx again for the help that you guys are always so eager to give

·
Registered
351 Posts
As others have said, your 60' times don't look very good. I scored a 2.4 second sixty foot time in my 22R (4 cyl) powered Toyota pickup. Do you have a limited slip rear? What tires? A better launch will get you better times.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have brand new 235 cooper cobras that i heated up with a 5 second burnout and i was launching at 2000 and shifting just after 5000

and i have the stock lsd with the stock 85 5spd gear ratios

do you think a very worn out suspension could cause the poor 60 times because i think that everything may still be stock and 18 years old

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
This is my 15.0 sec time slip... my reaction time sucked on this one and unfortunately it was my 1st and only run of the night..Sept 12th will take care of it :pray:

r/t 1.166

60 2.265 (loads of tire spin) 3500 rpm launch

330' 6.341

1/8 9.7152 73.4 mph

1000 12.6

1/4 15.0 @ 92.6 mph

The second run was better when I launched at 2400/2500 rpm.

r/t 0.661

60 2.11

And then second gear ....... :banghead: ......Diff hit the ground..

But Its all fixed.

To answer what I have done with the 6m. I haven't cracked a bolt on it.

It has a header. K& N Filter. Brullen 2 1/2 exhaust. and a resistor to give the car a little more fuel....That's it.

Hope you have better results the next time you drag. :)

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i fixed my backfiring problem. there was an exhaust flange missing from one of the pipes coming from the manifold. i have now trace of ceramic inside my cat so i have no low end i think if i was to get a high flo that would get me some low end back. i will probably go back to the track in a week or two but ill let you guys know how it goes

·
Registered
430 Posts
dude you just need the ct26 mod. that's the mod that everyone wtih a 6M needs. all problems solved :) [email protected] with a 2.35 60' time. ricers dont stand a chance. even the ones that think they are fast (oh wait they all think they are fast)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have a turbo sitting on my work room floor as we speak. A newly rebuilt one to :D . Intercooler and piping too.

Just weighing out my options at this time.

LATER

MARK

·
Registered
306 Posts
suprarox85 said:
i have brand new 235 cooper cobras that i heated up with a 5 second burnout and i was launching at 2000 and shifting just after 5000
Don't bother, you're only wasting your tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts
85TurboMKII said:
dude you just need the ct26 mod. that's the mod that everyone wtih a 6M needs. all problems solved :) [email protected] with a 2.35 60' time. ricers dont stand a chance. even the ones that think they are fast (oh wait they all think they are fast)
Christ, that's fast, considering the 60 foot time. DAMN!

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
- remove the spare tire and jack

- inflate the front tires to about 38psi, deflate the rear tires to 22psi. Burnouts aren't nessary with your HP level.

- keep the hood open when waiting in the staging lanes with the engine off. You could even ice your intake penum.

- be very agressive when lauching by riding the clutch abit through 1st gear. This will help you put down the maximum amount of power with minum amount of wheel spin. You'll figure out the happy medium of clutch and gas.

- torque is what accelerates the car so try not to shift any higher than the torque peak. A N/A 6m peaks and what, 4000 to 4300 rpm, IIRC.

My best 60ft. time was 2.060 at 13.4 @ 104

·
Registered
302 Posts
Torque actually doesn't provide any meaningful information on engine performace or your ability to win races. Horsepower is the thing. Think about it if you were to fit a Toyota Formula 1 engine (800hp at 18500rpm with 285 ft/lbs torgue) in your Mk2 and a cummings desiel (300hp at 4000rpm with about 400 ft/lbs torque) in an identical Mk2 and compensated for weight which would win. You could go real scientific into explanations but most of us would bet on the first one in the quarter mile. Another thought, to pick up on another thread I believe my Harley has consdierably more torque than Tubinators R1 but all I'd ever see is his taillight. So I'd suggest shifting at peak hp - with my mods about 6000rpm.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
One fact is certain, any car/vehical will accerelate hardest at it's torque peak and will not accelerate has hard above or below the torque peak. It's about pulling the longest not so much the hardest. (yikes! i hope that doesn't sound bad!) :lol:

F1 cars have a very long and flat torque curve spread out over ~15,000rpm. These cars are not setup to run the 1/4 mile or be flogged from a stop on city streets. They are geared high to because they make peak torque and HP at very high RPMS for consistancy. But the powerband of a F1 car couldn't be anymore diametric to that of MKII/MKIII or even MKIV. Infact, that Cummings Diesel you aluded to has a much similar power band to a MKII or any given M-block powered car.

I see your point about the Harley/R1 comparison but again the R1 has a very long flat torque/power curve and a higher peak. It's not so much about the peak power but how long you make power. But since we're talking low-reving MKIIs here, shifting below or above the torque peak will result in slower times, IMO.

At the track I run high 13s reving high and mid thirteens shifting at about the torque peak. It's not at all scientific but it give me some results.

later.
-wt

1 - 20 of 31 Posts