Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been offered a great deal on wheels 18X9.5 +20mm and 19X9.5 +20mm. Only those two sizes, nothing else in 4X41/2" (4X114.3) bolt pattern.

I know thats no problem with that size on the back, but on the front?

I guess I will have to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Wow! Those are HUGE. Let us know how it goes, and pics of course.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some careful measurements the rears will fit easy, but the fronts will not.

To get the fronts to fit I would have to use a one and one half inch spacer, but the wheel would stick out about half an inch outside of the flare.

For the longest time I could not find wheels big enough at as a reasonable price. Now I find some too big.

Oh well, the search goes on.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Maya wheels as well as any other custom wheel manufacturer will make an 18" wheel in the correct fitment for the mk2. Just need to step up to the plate.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are lots of manufacturers that will build a wheel for any fitment possible, but at what price?

The wheels I was looking at were for CAN$150 (just over US$100) each. For brand new 18X9.5 or 19X9.5 inch wheels that is an incredible price, can anyone beat that?

What is the price for the Maya wheels in 18 or 19 inch?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Like I said... you have to step up to the plate.

$100 for an 18" wheel is a little scary.

·
Registered
579 Posts
sowaht do these wheels look like?
what brand are they?

rsdeo said:
I've been offered a great deal on wheels 18X9.5 +20mm and 19X9.5 +20mm. Only those two sizes, nothing else in 4X41/2" (4X114.3) bolt pattern.

I know thats no problem with that size on the back, but on the front?

I guess I will have to give it a try.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is nothing wrong with the wheels, they are brand new in the box. The manufacturer went out of business and these were left over from production.

I forget what manufacturer made them. There are so many these days.

They are one peice and have a multi spoke design. They look like G Racing (at wheel1.com), but the lip is at least three and one half inches deep.

Anyway it doesn't matter because they will not fit the front at all.

I'll let everyone know if something else comes up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I looked at www.mayawheels.com and the STM wouldn't be bad but in 18" and 19" only. I presume these are in the 2K plus range for a set.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yesthe Maya's are expensive.

Yeah, sometimes you can get a bargain when a manufacturer discontines a product and has it sitting in their warehouse forever. 8)

And no Jay. There aren't any C2's for mk2s laying around. :(

9.5 in front would have been too big for the fronts. Would have been neat to see 18s though. I know my boss contemplated this on his 85 Celica GTS convertible. But I doubt that too many people would put that on their own vehicle. So resale would have been difficult. Besides, the Maya would have taken longer than he wanted.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 19" wheels I can get would look good (the 18" are the same design).

I guess if someone tries larger flares on the front thier Supra the 9.5" width may fit.

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
Well hold on there a sec. How did you figure out these won't fit? Check this out...

A 15x7 wheel with a +25 offset has a back spacing of 124mm.

I used to run a set of wheels with these specs on the front of one of my supras, no rubbing problems whatsoever.

A 16x8 wheel with 0 Offset has a front spacing of 111.7mm

Thats the size of the Compomotives that most people on the board are running on the front. Personally I think they stick out just a little too far, but they fit and don't rub.

A 18x9.5 with 20mm offset has an overall width of 261.5mms, a back spacing of 150mm, and a front spacing of 111.5mm.

So without spacers, the outsides are fine and will not rub. So the question is, is there another inch of room on the insides of the wheels? We know a backspacing of 125 is fine. I really can't remember what it looked like in there when I had those wheels on but I don't remember it being all that tight, those 18s MAY fit. If you could go to wherever they are and mount one on the car with the car jacked under the control arm, you could tell wether or not it would clear. Try turning the wheel both ways all the way and all. Maybe bring a 7mm spacer with you too. Obviously you'll have to use some judgement to determine if the rubber would clear. How low a profile can you get for 18s? If you could get one that was so low that the overall diameter is less then stock then you'd gain a few mms back on both sides. You don't have to go that wide with the rubber either, no more then a 245 for sure. I'm sure a 235 could be stretched onto a 9.5 as well.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I get a chance I will try the 19 inch wheels rather than the 18s.

One thing to remeber is that as you go further up the front strut the more it (the strut) leans in. So the larger the diameter wheel the more back spacing can be accomadated.

By running my 17X8.5 with +6mm offset (with the one inch adapter) I measured the back spacing with a 235/40-17 tyre at about 6.25 inches. The clearance between this wheel\tyre setup and the strut is 5mm. There is no rubbing at all, proof of this is the factory sticker on the strut is like new and untouched.

I'm hoping with the 19 inch wheel this 5mm clearance on the front will grow to a number close to 15mm. If so I can use a 12mm adapter and the wheel should fit. No adapter would be best, but the strut does not lean at 45 degreas, more like 75.

235/35-19 in the front and 275/30-19 in the rear would do the trick on the 19s.

I'm working on getting 18 inch wheels close to the ones I'm already using with the same back spacing, it will be nice to see what cearance I get in the front from the strut.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Has anyone put anything bigger than 17's on a MKII? Pics? Just wondering. After looking at big 18, 19, 20 inchers 17's don't look so big anymore. :)

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going big is one thing, but finding tyres with the right aspect ratio so the overall diameter is true to the original is another.

Something to consider.

I will post pictures of my car with 18s and maybe even 19s if everything works out and time permits.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You might want to consider the cost as well. I have just brought some second hand tyres for my Intro Forged wheels as the cost of new was rather expensive. The 265/35/17 would have cost about £200 a corner and the 255/40/17 were about £150 each.

Having said that i would like to see these 18's or 19's mounted.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Pat

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Pat what is the latest on your wheel fiasco? I know your experience is one of the main reasons why I didn't buy the Introforged Swift wheels. Hope you are making some positive progress.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Chad,
well it has been a bit of a nightmare really, but I making progress with them. The reason it has taken so long is that I had to send my wheels back but two of them got lost on the way back so i had to claim on my insurance which took three months. When I got my money back I had to re-order the wheels as a front and rear went missing.
I was also worried about he size or the rears as they measured 11" across the lips, so I went for 8" all round with +10 offset on the front and 0 offset on the rear.
They should be ready next week.
I am pushing for fast delivery as this deal has been running since last August.

Regards
Pat

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
When you guys get so close with wheel fitment, you must consider wheel design and tire design. It should be considered on a wheel by wheel basis with adequate measurement/dialogue with wheel manufacturer.

Good luck! I would never run 18s or greater, but Im old school. 17s are just find for me ;)

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Malloy no offense, but if you were old school you would be running the stock 14s.

I should have kept my black '84. Seeing yours reminds me of the one I used to own.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts